FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon Vixia HV 30 HDV not being recognized by Sony Vegas 12 capture

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blayde Stone
Canon Vixia HV 30 HDV not being recognized by Sony Vegas 12 capture
on Jun 14, 2015 at 10:52:53 pm

Canon Vixia HV 30 HDV not being recognized by Sony Vegas 12 capture. We have tried all fixes we know of. Selected legacy driver/installed HDV split/ "unchecked" use external video capture application and preferences/verified that FireWire is operating/ Sony Vegas12 is capturing regular DV just fine over FireWire, HDV is a another story. Any help we would appreciate thank you.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
Re: Canon Vixia HV 30 HDV not being recognized by Sony Vegas 12 capture
on Jun 15, 2015 at 2:20:20 am

SVP 12 does not capture HDV interfacing via firewire. I have an XH-A1 that records to tape, and outputs to firewire using its DV output port. SVP dropped the ability to capture this output somewhere along the way. I now use HDVSplit to capture video from the camera. If the camera is turned on in play mode, HDVSplit finds it. Once the camera is found, I have to press the capture button in HDVSplit twice. The first time, it does not capture anything. The second time, the tape is successfully captured. I use the 0.77 beta of HDVSplit, and, since it works, I have not attempted to upgrade it.

Return to posts index

Blayde Stone
on Jun 15, 2015 at 9:50:24 am

Thank you Bob for your response, yes I have downloaded HDV split and tried it unsuccessfully... Which brings me to the sad conclusion that I must have a dead FireWire port. Just last night I switched the camera settings to just DV output and nothing happened as far as capturing. This is the only camera that we have now that is Mini DV tape, oh well... Thanks again

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jun 15, 2015 at 11:11:27 am

That does make sense. I was lucky to have it emphasized to me that you ALWAYS turn off all power before making or disconnecting a firewire connection. Even then, I have lost a firewire port on one of my external drives. Fortunately, the camera is still alive.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 15, 2015 at 11:15:35 am

[Blayde Stone] "I must have a dead FireWire port. Just last night I switched the camera settings to just DV output and nothing happened as far as capturing."
It could also be a bad Firewire cable. Try a new cable and see if that has any affect. If the Firewire port is dead, just get a Firewire PCI card. My last PC build had no Firewire on the motherboard and I purchased a Rosewill PCIE FireWire 1394a Card 2+1 Ports Model RC-504 which worked nicely.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jun 15, 2015 at 1:35:59 pm

John, I think he meant that the port on the camera is probably dead. However, it is a good thought to check the cable itself although the probability is that the port is dead.

Return to posts index

Blayde Stone
on Jun 15, 2015 at 2:46:01 pm

Hey thanks guys... Yes I verified that the FireWire is working, too bad there's not a way to capture HDMI output of the camera while playing back the HDV tape, guess I'll just have to use the camera as a Doorstop, a repair to the FireWire port on the camera would probably cost as much as a new camera!

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jun 15, 2015 at 3:24:05 pm

Umm you can capture the HDMI port, its called a Blackmagic card intensity card with media capture app, or stand alone hyperdeck shuttle. There is also matrox, or AVID, or Osprey Video, AJA, Bluefish, Sound Designs. All of those seem a bit overkill for such an old school camera. You can ebay a new vexia with improved image quality, that shoots to disk for less than any of the above solutions.

Return to posts index

Blayde Stone
on Jun 15, 2015 at 4:29:50 pm

Aaron Apparently the Canon HV 30 has come to the end of its useful Life, Loved the picture quality of it, was really worth the effort to try to salvage or fix the problem... however the best use of funds would be towards a new card based Camera, BTW our hats off to the Sony Vegas Team! you all are "Tops" when it comes to Problem Solving.
And are certainly a "Blessing to us all" in the video Realm...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]