FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vertical link and edit of multiple text clips

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kurt Riemann
Vertical link and edit of multiple text clips
on Jun 13, 2015 at 10:53:17 pm

I'd appreciate some help on this. I have to do about fifty of these videos and it's three times as much work as it should be.

I'm editing three vertical tracks -

1 Page number text
2 Eskimo text
3 English text

4. Eskimo language audio source (doesn't move)

Each track has approximately 100 clips lined up with each other and each clip is initially ten seconds long. I'm manually moving them to sync the words with a reference audio clip.

Is there any way to edit and move all three clips as one? I've been having to move each of those three clips for one edit and it's really tedious. Here's a video of what the result should be - (skip into the main part of the video)

https://vimeo.com/130005242

Thanks, Cows!

Kurt

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Vertical link and edit of multiple text clips
on Jun 14, 2015 at 5:29:21 am

[Kurt Riemann] "
Is there any way to edit and move all three clips as one?"
Select the 3 you want and Press "G" (for "Group") this will make all 3 move together. To UnGrgoup Press "U".

Does that help?

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Kurt Riemann
on Jun 15, 2015 at 2:55:55 am

That works. Thanks.

The only issue is that I need to do it for each set of clips individually and there is no way to make the actual tracks link together with the same behavior so I don't have to bother with clip linking. Like if I drop three files on tracks 1, 2 and 3 I still have to link those clips (and I can have hundreds of those groups of three to combine) - it's not something I can have the three tracks set up to do as a group. I honestly wonder what the point of track grouping is if you can't edit the three tracks as a group.

I solved it by making a template of 3 rows of 20 second-long pre-grouped text clips that I paste the words into as a text edit.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jun 15, 2015 at 5:23:27 am

Apologies for long reply . . . .
[Kurt Riemann] "The only issue is that I need to do it for each set of clips individually and there is no way to make the actual tracks link together with the same behavior so I don't have to bother with clip linking."
Here are some VP terms which I realize you know, but maybe it would be good for me to restate for the purposes of understanding the Evolution of Vegas from Vegas Video thru' to now, Vegas Pro:

The Timeline is the actual Work Area holding or containing Timeline Tracks

Media (Clips)that is placed on a Timeline Track becomes an EVENT

Tracks, in Vegas-Speak, are not Events, and it's the Events that you wish to Edit.
[Kurt Riemann] " I honestly wonder what the point of track grouping is if you can't edit the three tracks as a group."
As you are "wondering", and the main thrust of my reply, Track Grouping, and here we are talking about VIDEO in Vegas Pro, is purely for keeping the Timeline easy to navigate by folding-up if you many, many Video Tracks - very useful if you're trying to manipulate over 10 Tracks. What I think you are realizing is that VP places the VIDEO Eventvery high on the list of User "control". Not the Track. Please hold that thought . . . .
[Kurt Riemann] "I solved it by making a template of 3 rows of 20 second-long pre-grouped text clips that I paste the words into as a text edit."
From that I understand that you have made a Text Generated Media Template? Yes? Well, if that is the case then what you have done is to recognize that the Event is King . . or Queen, and placed THAT at the top of your Vegas-aware consciousness. That, right there, was a real penny-drop moment for me too.

Back to the evolution of Vegas: You may already know this, VP started life as Audio software. That way of working has been hardwired into the VP DNA forwards. To do what you are suggesting - and I agree it would be real neat - would mean a total rewrite of the core code. I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon or anytime - period! - But I have been wrong before . . . .

OK, what I adore about Vegas Pro is its complete (?) intuitiveness, and the engineers who really still bend-over backwards to keep it that way, making that happen. This is no real easy path for them to travel - especially bent in such a way (lol!) However, what this means, for us Users, is to be perceptive to this, understand and be responsive to the tools that Vegas has and use them in the way that we CAN get our job done. And from what I've understood from you, THAT'S exactly what you've recently done, Kurt. I understand that you've acknowledged just what VP CAN do and have needed to change your approach to adapt to the Vegas-Way. Great stuff! Well done. Oh yes, what you may want to add is that that Template you created, is now Global to ALL your Vegas projects, here on in. I'm no Closed Captioning Guru, by any means, but maybe CC could have some use for you too?

Remember, VP came from the World of Audio and Audio Mixing where the EVENT is Master of the Universe.
Cheers

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]