FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need PC for Video am looking to start with bare bones kit

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Taylor
Need PC for Video am looking to start with bare bones kit
on Jun 13, 2015 at 7:28:41 pm

Here is a bare bones kit from Tiger Direct that has an Intel I7 quad core processor is it a reasonable start?:

INTEL 4790K/ASUS Z97/16GB/1TB/COOLER/650W/CS

This Bundle Includes:
•Intel Core i7-4790K Processor - Quad Core, 4.0GHz, 8MB Cache, Up to 4.40 GHz, 2 Memory Channels, 16 Max PCI Express Lanes - BX80646I74790K
•ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK1 ATX Motherboard - LGA1150 Socket, Intel Z97 Express Chipset, 4x DDR3 Memory, Max 32GB, 2x PCIe 3.0/2.0 (16x), 1x PCIe 2.0(16x), 3x PCIe 2.0 (1x) - SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK1
•WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive - Solid Performance for Everyday Computing, 3.5", SATA 6Gb/s, 7200RPM, 64MB Cache, 2 Year Warranty - WD10EZEX
•Corsair Hydro Series H55 Quiet liquid CPU Cooler - 1 x 120mm Fan, Multi-socket Support - CW-9060010-WW
•SolidGear 650W Power Supply - ATX, Single 12V Rail, 120mm Nano Fan, Anti-radiation Filter, Short Circuit, Over Voltage & Over Power Protection - SDGR-650E
•Cougar Solution Black Steel Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - 1x120mm Cougar Turbine Hyper-Spin Bearing Fan, USB 3.0 port, Water Cooling Ready, Supports 320mm Long VGA Card, Air Filter Included
•Kingston HyperX Fury Red 8GB Desktop Memory Module Kit - 1866MHz DDR3, CL10, DIMM - HX318C10FR/8

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Need PC for Video am looking to start with bare bones kit
on Jun 13, 2015 at 8:42:03 pm

Yep this will be a good start.

I would add the following:
16-32GB RAM
AMD 290x
SSD for Boot drive
another 1TB WD Blue for a software RAID 1 media drive

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 14, 2015 at 2:51:03 pm

What kind of video are you planning to edit? If you are planning to edit 4K a Quad Core is yesterday's technology. I would get a 6 or 8 Core minimum for 4K (I have a 12-core). If you're just planning to edit HD then a Quad Core is fine. That 650W PSU is a little small. I would get at least 800W-1000W because the new GPU's will suck up 200W+ just themselves. I would also get an SSD instead of an HDD. I mean if you really want bare nones then that system is bare bones.

If you want to build a good system for editing video, get the parts to build a VideoGuys DIY system:

VideoGuys DIY 10 <-- 3 price points to choose from
VideoGuys DIY 11 <-- affordable system

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jun 14, 2015 at 5:47:35 pm

If you are not sure and if you have a Microcenter store near you, I would get their advice on a system that will meet your needs. We have had good luck building two computers, and counting, using the recommendations and parts from Microcenter. If you have trouble with the assembly, they will give you support. If you are not sure about some of the critical steps, such as installing the processor and a heat sink, they will do that for you for a moderate price.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 15, 2015 at 12:21:28 pm

I agree with Bob, it's really important that you get parts that work well together and have someone to guide you. Just matching the specs is NOT enough. Make sure that you only buy memory that has been tested by the motherboard manufacturer and is on their approved list of sticks. Nothing will give you an unstable computer faster than using memory that is incompatible with your motherboard even though the specs match.

Video editing will stress every component in your computer so you don't want to skimp and you want something that is proven to work That's why I recommended the DIY builds. They have been fully tested and 1000's of people have built them (including myself) and proven that they are stable.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]