FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can no longer open a project

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Whitaker
Can no longer open a project
on Jun 13, 2015 at 7:18:00 pm

I've been going through several hours of footage and creating subclips.

Now, I try to open a project and it just sits there at 77%.

Any ideas as to why this is happening and how to correct it?

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Can no longer open a project
on Jun 13, 2015 at 10:37:29 pm

Any ideas as to why this is happening and how to correct it?
That's the hard part Ron, can never know exactly why this happen at times,
But close Vegas and try renaming the folder the project is in etc. and see
what happens.
Do you have some of your content in this project coming from an external hard drive?

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Ron Whitaker
on Jun 14, 2015 at 2:32:01 pm

Fortunately, I had been saving the file as documentary.veg, as well as documentary_backup.veg. I first renamed the documentary.veg.bak and tried to open it, but that didn't work. Thankfully, the documentary_backup.veg.bak worked when I renamed it.

So, for now on, each day that I work on the file, I'll be naming it documentary_.veg and documentary_backup_.veg to be safe.

This is scary! Right now I'm just going through 35 hours of footage and had created over 500 subclips so far, with a lot more to go!

Before this happened, all I did was save the file, then saved the file as documentary_backup.veg, then I pressed the CTRL+F4 to close the project so that I could open up the original documentary_backup.veg file so that next time I opened Vegas, that would be the project that opened. It was at that point that the original documentary.veg file went bad and could not longer be opened.

Is it not a good idea to close a project with CTRL+F4?

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jun 14, 2015 at 3:46:21 pm

What I do is save incremental backups. That is, documentary-01.veg, documentary02-veg., etc. I do this after I make a few changes or edits. That way, if I mess up, a recent backup is very easy to load.

Return to posts index

Ron Whitaker
on Jun 14, 2015 at 3:59:02 pm

I have been doing that and it's corrupting ALL variations.

A little bit ago I was able to find a .bak file, rename it, and it opened, but when I saved it out with today's date, then exited out of Vegas and tried to open it, the file wouldn't open but would sit there at around 80%.

I'm trying to open a file now with today's date and it's stuck at 80%.

If this is Vegas' modus operandi, I've got to find another solution. This isn't an acceptable product and simply isn't going to work for me.

Anyone ever try Grass Valley's Edius?

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jun 14, 2015 at 4:07:12 pm

Ron, that is very strange. I've done thousands of projects using this method and have never had a file get corrupted. I'm on Pro 12 these days but have been doing it this way since Vegas 3.0.
I came from a dpsVelocity system and have dabbled with Premiere Pro but that's the extent of my "wanderings" as Vegas has almost always worked for me. The few times it hasn't has been operator error.

Return to posts index

Ron Whitaker
on Jun 14, 2015 at 5:46:05 pm

Well, I took one of my .bak files, renamed it, then tried to open it. It froze at around 80%, but then eventually opened it.

I will save frequently as I edit throughout the day.

I'm just nervous now with Vegas. I'm only part way through the 35 hours of footage I need to go through. I have a little over 500 subclips, and by the end of ALL the footage, I expect to have around 3000+ subclips. I DON'T want any corrupted files at this point or down the road.

Why would a file get to around 80%, then simply stop loading? Is that a sign of a corrupted file, or is it something else?

Return to posts index

Ron Whitaker
on Jun 14, 2015 at 10:38:52 pm
Last Edited By Ron Whitaker on Jun 14, 2015 at 10:41:00 pm

It's doing it again!

I've been working on creating subclips and every once in a while save out the file with a _A, _B, _C, etc extension as I progress.

Suddenly, the "white screen" appeared, so I had to end the process, and now I can't open ANY of the iterations I've saved throughout the day. It just hangs at anywhere from 79% - 88%.

And if I mouse over the Vegas icon in my tray, the thumbnail pops up, with a "not responding" appearing above that.

I'm working on Vegas 13.

What's the problem here?

I'm beginning to wonder if Vegas is just a toy that's fine for editing the trip-to-Disneyland home movies, but for professional projects, not!

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jun 15, 2015 at 10:59:38 am
Last Edited By Steve Rhoden on Jun 15, 2015 at 11:01:36 am

No, No Ron, at this point then, something is wrong, "nothing about Vegas is
a toy and not professional enough
", that now is a serious issue nagging your
system under the quiet, either a conflict of some sort or a loss of
connectivity during the process or a corrupted source file. Something is the
culprit my friend.... Its just very hard for me to point you in the right
direction not being physically present in front of your system, if i was there
i could.
Again, are these source files on an external hard drive etc?

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Ron Whitaker
on Jun 15, 2015 at 7:16:54 pm

I did a clean re-install and the same thing is happening.

Return to posts index

Ron Whitaker
on Jun 15, 2015 at 8:00:51 pm

No. My source files are on my hard drive. It was working great for a while, until one day when I saved my project as another name to keep as a backup. I then clicked CTRL+F4 to close the project. That's when the problems began.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]