FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question about transitions

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Richard
Question about transitions
on Jun 11, 2015 at 3:15:46 am

I have a question about doing some transitions. I have some Old home movie clips that at times are only a few seconds of video, but I still want them. I like to use fade to black dissolves a lot of the time to separate scenes. If I do that I end up fading out part of a very, very short video which would leave hardly anything able to be seen.

So what I'd like to do is find out if there's a way to do a transition that kind of like freezes the very last frame of the video (like you hit "pause") so I get all of the action, and then fade out on the "paused" scene, and then doing the same thing on the beginning of the next scene, freezing the beginning of it and just as the fade stops, the action on the next very short scene begins.

Ultimately, what I'm trying to do here, is to still use transitions, but not end up fading out any of the action because the scenes are so very short. Can you do this in Vegas?

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: Question about transitions
on Jun 11, 2015 at 4:10:14 am

Yes, you can do this. For your media event turn looping off and extend the event length beyond the end of the media length. The last frame of the media remains displayed. If looping is not turned off, then the media is just restarted from the beginning when you extend the event beyond the media length. You will see a little triangle at the top of the event showing where the media "ends".

If you have multiple movie clips with a single media file, then you must create subclips of each movie clip within the media file where you want to use this technique. Vegas treats the subclips as though they are separate media files.

Return to posts index

Bruce Richard
on Jun 11, 2015 at 12:40:12 pm

[Norman Black] "For your media event turn looping off and extend the event length beyond the end of the media length. The last frame of the media remains displayed. If looping is not turned off, then the media is just restarted from the beginning when you extend the event beyond the media length. You will see a little triangle at the top of the event showing where the media "ends"."

OK, thank you for your response, but I'm having trouble. I found the option to turn off looping, I cut off the tail end of a sample clip so the last frame was "live" (had an image) and then grabbed the end of the clip and stretched it out a few seconds on the time line.

Maybe that is stretching the "media" and I need to stretch the "event"? If that is the case, I don't know how to stretch the event apparantly. I googled, (I used "sony vegas extend event length") but that didn't bring any really responsive results.

Any pointers?

Return to posts index

Joseph Tessier
on Jun 11, 2015 at 1:42:33 pm

If you check or uncheck "Enable looping of events by default" that will only apply to new events (not any currently in your timeline).

You could also try right clicking the event and insert a velocity envelope. That will give you total control allowing you to still a particular frame.

J. Paul

Win 7 Home Prem x64 VegasPro 13

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jun 11, 2015 at 5:43:54 pm

[Bruce Richard] " I don't know how to stretch the event apparantly."

Just drag the right side of the event to the right.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/webhelp/vegaspro/13/ENU/index.htm#Adjus...

Return to posts index

Bruce Richard
on Jun 12, 2015 at 6:08:24 am

[Norman Black] "Just drag the right side of the event to the right."

I was, and it wasn't working.

Turns out I wasn't paying attention where I shut off the "loop". I, not being fluent at all with Vegas (it does so much) just started going through the "Edit, View, Insert, Tools, Options, et., tabs at the top looking for anything resembling "loop". I came across one in the edit tab, under "switches", and deselected it. (It was by default, I assume, selected).

Only later, (after googling) did I see the option I needed, under: Options - Preferences - Editing - Enable looping on events by default.

De-selected that, and it works as advertised.

Those menu's, man, .................

Thanks all! I'm not sure if I'll like it, but at least now I know I can do it, and see it in action.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]