FORUMS: list search recent posts

Installed a new R9 280 and killed vegas

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Leigh
Installed a new R9 280 and killed vegas
on Jun 9, 2015 at 7:03:16 am

Hello
Last week i upgraded my computer from 8 gig to 16 gig ram. Ran memtest all good. Then I upgraded my PSU to a 600 watt coasair. All seems good.
( but I didn't check vegas at this point)
Then I installed a Sapphire AMD R9 280. I then deleted the old Nivda drivers. Vegas doesn't see the AMD GPU. So I uninstalled Vegas 12 and re installed. Still doesn't see the GPU.. If I create a session and add one generated event (Bars) to the time line and try to render. Vegas freezes after I hit render as.. Well it doesn't freeze the render window opens but it is just a frame, no options. I tried updating my windows experience and runs all the 3d stuff but freezes on "Windows Media Decoding performance" I assume I have a bad video card any ideas?
I've checked I have the latest drivers installed.
Thanks
brad

i7 2600 3.4 Ghz 8Gig Ram , Win 7 Pro, Vegas Pro 12

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Installed a new R9 280 and killed vegas
on Jun 9, 2015 at 12:50:41 pm

Yep, your video card seems to be the guilty one!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jun 9, 2015 at 3:37:05 pm

I would pull the AMD card, install your old NVIDA card, and get the NVidia drivers reinstalled. Then uninstall the NVidia drivers, reboot, and make sure the video card is running the stock microsoft driver.

Uninstall your copy of Vegas, and reboot.

Next Run CCleaner, CCleaner Registry, then run the stock Disk Sweeper tool with cleanup windows update selection and reboot. Let the windows reload to your desktop, then shutdown.

Now pull the nvida card, install the AMD card, reinstall the AMD drivers, and reboot. After reboot make sure you are on the latest drivers for that card.

I personally have the AMC OPENCL DEV SDK installed with my AMD card.
http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/opencl-zone/amd-accelerated-paralle...

Get a copy of AMD System Monitor from AMD.

Verify with GPU-z that the video card is interfacing at x16 speed.

Test your system with something like Luxmark 2.0, and make sure you have both CPU and GPU performance.
http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxMark_v2

Now install Vegas again, and select your GPU from the list, and test for GPU utilization with AMD system monitor while playing back XDCAM-EX, HD-CAM-SR-LITE, or XAVC footage.

Now test for GPU utilization while encoding Sony AVC/MP4 from XDCAM-EX, HD-CAM-SR-LITE, or XAVC footage.

If you have to return the card, get 290x replacement, as the core chip (Hawaii XT) in the 290x card has been demonstrated by AMD and Sony to run 4K with Vegas.

Just some of my thoughts on the matter.

Return to posts index

Stephen Meyers
on Jun 9, 2015 at 4:57:04 pm

While I'm not at all an expert on graphic cards...I'm just a user like you, trying to get the best card for Vegas. My months of research lead me to believe that Vegas does not take advantage of the newer segmented CUDA configuration on newer graphics cards. Therefore you can have a new card that has 1200 cuda's in 4 segments...and Vegas will run slower...because it's only use 300 cuda's from one segment.
I would totally check your graphics card...suggest using high end older card if your new card has segmented Cuda's.

If anyone else can shed light on this subject...I'm all ears...wanting to build a new system for Vegas...but haven't heard any news on whether Vegas is going to refine their use of current graphic card technology?

Return to posts index

Brad Leigh
on Jun 9, 2015 at 7:22:24 pm

My new card is AMD using open CL.
This seems to be the current best gpu in vegas.
Brad

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jun 9, 2015 at 11:33:06 pm
Last Edited By Bob Peterson on Jun 9, 2015 at 11:33:47 pm

I remember way back that it can be tough to uninstall AMD/Nvidia software. In fact, one of the companies had a little known program which would kill everything connected with the card. You might try a thorough uninstall process like this one;

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2284749/completely-uninstall-amd-nvidia-...

to see if it makes a difference.

Return to posts index

Brad Leigh
on Jun 10, 2015 at 7:00:28 am

Thank You Aaron and Bob.
I did basically all the above.
Cleaned out the registry, fixed everything, and installed fresh.
It is a very long story with many pains in the butts.
But
Watching a tough section that was playing at 1 fps at best full, now playing rock solid 29.97 fps full screen best full it's worth it!
and I did a little test render, the section before took 51 sec to render, this test with card took 21 sec!
Thanks again!
Brad

Return to posts index

Stephen Meyers
on Jun 10, 2015 at 12:39:21 pm

I installed an AMD Radeon HD 7700 and it's working. However, I did not properly do an uninstall of Nvidia control panel, etc, and it's still there...it's not correct (I need to go back and uninstall) but the quick fix to get the new card to work was to leave their drivers intact.

Return to posts index

Christian Noetzli
on Jun 10, 2015 at 9:10:18 am

After I installed my GTX-970 some months ago I got quickly used to turn on and off the GPU support in preferences. Some projects render fine with GPU, but some stuck - from the beginning or sometimes after several minutes. I suppose it depends on the filters I use - but I haven't indulged deeply. Some Vegas build/driver combination may fix it. Turning off GPU support, for me and so far, has ALWAYS helped.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]