FORUMS: list search recent posts

Render Settings for Boss's Holiday Video

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Staley
Render Settings for Boss's Holiday Video
on Jun 3, 2015 at 3:31:37 pm

Hello,

I was hoping someone could offer me some advice, its greatly appreciated.

My boss has come back with 2 SD cards of recorded holiday footage. One has 19GB of footage the other 4GB worth of footage.

Each one if made up of clips around 1 minute long. He want them putting on CD's that are only around 800MB big.

The current videos are 1920x1080 16899kbps Data Rate, 25 Frames Per Second with a 17155kbps Total bit rate.

We have sony vegas 11 on our work pc's so i want to re-render the videos to make it fit. What would be the best render settings to enable me to do this whilst trying to keep the best quality for him.

Thankyou!

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
Re: Render Settings for Boss's Holiday Video
on Jun 3, 2015 at 6:00:14 pm

The best advice is to tell your boss that CDs are intended for music. They do not work well for video. Video requires at least a 4.8GB DVD. Then you can explain to your boss that it takes either a lot of compression or a lot of editing to fit 23GB of data on a 4.8GB disk. Lots of compression means a very poor picture which will be a big disappointment. Lots of editing means cutting out a lot of material which may also be a disappointment. One option is using a double sided DVD, which will store roughly 10GB. Twice as much storage space will reduce the pain of compression and editing. The third option is a Blu-Ray disk which can hold all the material, but is more expensive and requires a Blu-Ray player.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: nder Settings for Boss's Holiday Video
on Jun 3, 2015 at 6:47:52 pm

x 10 Bob's reply.

G

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Render Settings for Boss's Holiday Video
on Jun 4, 2015 at 1:41:52 pm

[Ben Staley] "My boss has come back with 2 SD cards of recorded holiday footage. One has 19GB of footage the other 4GB worth of footage. ...The current videos are 1920x1080 16899kbps Data Rate, 25 Frames Per Second with a 17155kbps Total bit rate."
I'm going to guess that at 1920x1080 25fps @ 16Mbps you boss was probably shooting AVCHD. 23GB of AVCHD is about 2 hours of video. To get 2 hours of video on an 800MB CD you would need to use a video bit-rate of 846Kbps. Expressed in Mbps that would be 0.846Mbps. Ask your boss if he really wants to compress 16Mbps down to less that 1Mbps and what he thinks it will look like. ;-) (hint: 16x worse!)

You can certainly render one of the clips using MainConcept AVC with the Internet HD 1080p template and change the frame rate to 25 and the Average bitrate to 846,000 and see what he thinks. I'm guessing he will be very disappointed.

As other have suggested you want to deliver this via DVD. To get 2 hours of video on a standard DVD you'll need to use MainConcept MPEG2 encoder with a bit-rate of about 4.7Mbps (4,700,000 average)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]