FORUMS: list search recent posts

Make unwanted parts of a video transparent

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Burnie McGrath
Make unwanted parts of a video transparent
on Jun 1, 2015 at 10:22:42 am

i've got a video, and some of the parts i want to make transparent.
there is a video playing with a mask with a word cut/masked out. now i want to make the black transparent and just leave the video playing in the shape of the words. is this possible? also how do i then successfully render that so it stays transparent?

Productions

Return to posts index

Frank Garnett Welsh
Re: Make unwanted parts of a video transparent
on Jun 1, 2015 at 10:27:25 am

Hey Burnie,

you must render your video with the alpha channel checked to have 'productions' on it's own rather than with the background. What software and render are you using? Nearly all renderers will have alpha channel options available. Also, the black isn't an object itself is it? Like a background material? If so you must delete that and ensure only the text materials themselves are present.

Return to posts index

Burnie McGrath
on Jun 1, 2015 at 10:35:37 am

the black is a mask i'm pretty sure. i'm using sony vegas pro 11. to render it i use uncompressed avi which does, i believe, have the alpha channel option. what i can't actually do is get the black transparent. so basically, where ever you can see black in the video is what i want to be transparent/checkerboard. cheers.

Return to posts index

Frank Garnett Welsh
on Jun 1, 2015 at 10:48:49 am
Last Edited By Frank Garnett Welsh on Jun 1, 2015 at 10:50:05 am

Okay,

so this alpha channel option here is checked?

http://i.imgur.com/ZFEHBLq.png

Return to posts index

Burnie McGrath
on Jun 1, 2015 at 11:11:57 am

When I render it, yes

Return to posts index

Tim Neighbors
on Jun 1, 2015 at 7:46:38 pm

Not sure if you figured this out yet, but if not...
yes, you can do it the way the other user is suggesting. ...then when you bring that rendered video clip back in, you will have to right click on it once it is on the timeline, select properties, then 'Media' tab, then under "Alpha Channel", select "Straight". This should do what you want, assuming it was rendered with alpha channel, as I believe you have done.

However, for future reference, there is an easier (or maybe I should say faster) way to do this on the timeline without having to prerender any clips.
Place white text on a track UNDER the video file that you want to show through the letters. Click the 'Make Compositing Child' button on the text track, then click the 'layer effects' button on the video track and select "Multiply (Mask)".

Create a Mute envelope on the video track to mute the track when you no longer want to see the text for the rest of the video so you can see through to the rest of your video. If you want a dissolve, transition to a white solid color on the video track that is in "multiply mode".
I'm using Vegas 12 and 13, but I'm pretty sure that this is also possible in 11.

Hope that makes sense and does what you're trying to do. Good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]