FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas 13 identifying monitors incorrectly

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Riordan
Sony Vegas 13 identifying monitors incorrectly
on May 29, 2015 at 3:43:15 am

Hi all,

I'm running Win 7 64 bit, and I'm using Sony Vegas 13 build 770 64 bit. I'm having a problem with SV 13 incorrectly identifying my displays, which is causing several problems. I first noticed this problem starting about a month or so back.

Here's what's going on:

I have 2 monitors. In Windows > Ctrl Panel > Display settings I have the left monitor set as # 1 and the right as # 2, with the left selected as primary display. If I select 'Identify', it correctly identifies them in the order I have them set. I have an EVGA nVidia GTX 650 GPU. In the NVIDIA Control Panel under 'Set up multiple Displays', I've set it exactly the same as my preferences in the Windows Display settings - my left is # 1 and my right is # 2, with left being primary display. If I right click on each display to identify them, it also identifies them correctly.

However, when I open SV 13 and go to Options > Preferences > Preview Device, the little drop down window under Display Adapter shows them the opposite of my Windows and nVidia settings - the right shows as # 1 and the left shows as # 2. If I click to 'Identify Displays' it also ID's them backwards to my Win 7 and nVidia settings - right ID's as # 1 and left as # 2.

My usual workflow is left to right: my left monitor contains the Vegas workspace and my right is for display previewing. I can open Vegas in my left hand monitor ( ID'd as # 1 in Windows Display and # 2 in Vegas) and select the right hand monitor in the Vegas Display Adapter drop down menu as preview (that's ID'd # 2 in Windows Display and # 1 in Vegas). Confusing I know. However, what happens is that Vegas randomly acts as if my right hand monitor is the main display. I will have my Vegas program open in the left hand monitor, and render a project, minimizing Vegas as I do so. When it's done rendering and I go to maximize it from the taskbar it has jumped to the right hand Window - the Window it thinks is the main monitor. If I have two or more instances of Vegas open it will open the second instances in the right hand monitor seemingly at random - sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. Often I will minimize Vegas to the taskbar, and when I re-opn it, it will open in the right hand monitor with the preview maximized and the program behind it. Frustrating. I've been having a problem with my Magic Bullet Add On crashing when I try to open the Magic Bullet FX Previewer with Vegas preview open in the second Window. Magic Bullet and Vegas crash. If I don't have the Vegas preview Window open Magic Bullet opens and works fine.

I have exhausted my ideas trying to resolve this:

I physically disconnected my right hand monitor and rebooted. Vegas then has no choice but to correctly ID my left moniotr as # 1. But when I shut the computer down and re-attach the right hand monitor, Vegas is back to ID'ing them incorreclty. I tried that again but swapped the physical location of the monitor cables on the GPU. Same problem.

I uninstalled Vegas and re-installed it. No fix. I used Revo uninstaller Pro to uninstall, and selected to Delete all leftover instances of Vegas. Then I ran CCleaner. Then re-installed Vegas and it still ID's the monitors incorrectly. I repeated the above, but also went to C:\Users\%\AppData\Local\Sony and Deleted the Vegas Pro folder. Re-installed and still same problem.

I'm totally at a loss. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Sony Vegas 13 identifying monitors incorrectly
on May 29, 2015 at 7:03:33 am

Yup. Same here. I ignore it and get back to editing.

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Tim Riordan
on May 29, 2015 at 11:32:26 am

Well I doggedly persisted with this for hours, and have found a fix that works so far. Fingers crossed this has fixed it.

I read a thread on the SonyCeativeSoftware forum from someone who had a similar problem, but with a 3 monitor setup. He had an AMD R9 280 GPU, and was running the AMD Catalyst Control Center Software. That seemed to be the culprit. If you look at the last couple of posts in this thread you can see he resolved his problem by uninstalling the CCC software

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/Forums/ShowMessage.asp?Forum=4&MessageI...

I downloaded the Guru 3D NVidia Display Driver Uninstaller. It removes all drivers and any leftover traces. Then I downloaded the driver from GeForce, and installed it alone. I skipped the GeForce Experience software. On a whim I also decided to try two completely different monitor cables but doubt that had any bearing. Anyways after re-installing just the NVidia driver and then re-installing Vegas for the umpteenth time, I opened Vegas and voila! It now ID's the monitors correctly.

What's bizarre is that Vegas now only identifies my graphics card as a generic 'Windows Graphics Card'. It doesn't ID it as a GTX 650 Ti anymore. And strangely this is actually the best possible scenario I could hope for. My GPU is one of the dreaded Kepler cards that doesn't play nice with Vegas. I've always turned off 'GPU acceleration of video processing', not only because it's never made a lick of difference to render times, but in some cases it slightly increased render times, and also caused the dreaded 'low memory' errors and crashes when editing (yet I have 24 GB RAM)

I've opened multiple instances of Vegas now, and also rendered out a few quick clips without issue. So for anyone trakcing this thread, this is the solution that has worked. So far. Fingers crossed it holds.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 29, 2015 at 2:11:21 pm

[Tim Riordan] "Well I doggedly persisted with this for hours, and have found a fix that works so far."
Wow! I read your treatment - I am very impressed.

[Tim Riordan] " I've always turned off 'GPU acceleration of video processing', not only because it's never made a lick of difference to render times, but in some cases it slightly increased render times, and also caused the dreaded 'low memory' errors and crashes when editing (yet I have 24 GB RAM)"
And now? Anything to report?

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Tim Riordan
on Jun 7, 2015 at 10:26:16 am

Well Graham I've been running it over a week now without issue, so re-installing the GPU with drivers only seems to have solved it. Vegas is ID'ing the monitors correctly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]