FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where to install Vegas plugins on Windows 8.1?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jessica Zhang
Where to install Vegas plugins on Windows 8.1?
on May 25, 2015 at 11:55:38 pm

I want to install DaviTools Video Wall for Sony Vegas Pro 11 but the installer is only available for Vegas 8 and 9. I have to manually install it for Vegas Pro 11, but I don't know where to put the .dll files. I have Windows 8.1 btw.

As you may have gathered, I am pretty clueless as to how this all works. So it would be great if someone could guide me through the process.
Thanks in advance! :)

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: Where to install Vegas plugins on Windows 8.1?
on May 26, 2015 at 12:27:37 am

There's a manual installer for Vegas 10 and above.
Files and instructions are on the site at http://www.davitools.com/videowall/

Return to posts index

Jessica Zhang
on May 26, 2015 at 2:14:30 am

Yes, I know the manual install & instructions are on the website, but when I followed the instructions, it didn't work for me and it didn't show up in Vegas. I'm not sure why, but I'm guessing it's because of the difference in windows versions.

\Application Data\Sony\Vegas Pro\\Application Extensions
^These are the instructions on the DaviTools website. My folders are all different, Application Data is Appdata for me and it was one of the "hidden" folders. And once I was into the Appdata folder I had to go into the "roaming" folder before I could go into the "Sony" folder.

But, the point being, trying to follow the instructions on the DaviTools site led to a lot of dead ends, and in the end, it didn't work.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on May 26, 2015 at 4:00:23 am

The best thing would be if the installer was simply updated.
I remember loving this plugin when it just arrived, pity the author stopped
further development.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Jessica Zhang
on May 27, 2015 at 2:48:10 am

It really is a shame. However, do you happen to know of any extensions like VideoWall that could produce similar results?

Return to posts index

Jeff Walters
on May 26, 2015 at 7:29:49 pm

Jessica,

Although I am running Sony Vegas Pro 10 on a Windows 7 machine I too had problems with the manual install instructions the same as you did with your Sony Vegas Pro 11 on your Windows 8.1 machine.

After about a half and hour of trying to get it to work/install I was about to give up on it but decided it was not going to get the best of me.

Seeing that I used to teach computers to non-traditional students I am not afraid to try "off-the-wall" approaches to see what might work (it's easy when it comes to manual installs. If one idea of mine doesn't work - and many of them didn't - I just went back and removed and/or renamed things that I did and tried another approach).

Lo and behold one of my "approaches" worked and now I have the Video Wall working for me (at least with my setup. Your mileage may vary but it's worth a shot don't ya think?)

Anyway, here's what worked for me.

I created a folder in my main MY DOCUMENTS folder and called it Vegas Application Extensions. At first I named it Application Extensions but that didn't work. I had to name it EXACTLY Vegas Application Extensions for it to work for me.

In this newly created folder I put in the DaviTools VideoWall.dll and the DaviTools VideoWall.png files.

I then opened Vegas and went to the VIEW menu and within EXTENSIONS Davitools VideoWall icon was there and it worked.

Like I said, even though you're running SVP 11 on a Win 8.1 system the inner workings might be the same for you. There's no guarantee that it WILL work for you and although the procedure I outlined above should not harm your system, if you do try it per the instructions above you do so at your on risk. I just had to mention that for legal purposes.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope it works out for you.

Happy Editing!!!

Return to posts index

Jessica Zhang
on May 27, 2015 at 2:45:57 am

Thanks for the suggestions!

Although the "approach" that worked for you didn't work for me, I would like to hear some of the other "approaches" that you tried. Maybe some of the ones that didn't work for you will work for me.

Thanks again, I'm not going to give up on trying to install this extension so quickly either. Lol, I'm feeling pretty optimistic about this!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]