FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Shifting" clips

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Manson
"Shifting" clips
on May 22, 2015 at 8:02:52 pm

Hello, I use vegas 12 and here is my problem : I want to make a video made of 4 records taken from my Huawei phone, its image quality being enough for my project. The issue is, one of the clip loose 1 image on 2 when put into vegas, I think I found why : they all have variable framerate and vegas look at the current framerate of the first second and unfortunately this one started with around 15fps instead of 30.

So, the hotfix I found (tell me if there is better, like somehow forcing vegas to "think" its 30fps) is to cut the first few seconds until a I-frame using avidemux, now the clip is fine except vegas doesn't detect sound.

So if there is nothing better than this hotfix, what should I do now ? I realized this issue once the video was complete, how can I "shift" every clips using this record by a few seconds, and with sound ? Am I forced to remake every clip one by one ?

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
Re: "Shifting" clips
on May 23, 2015 at 12:28:04 am

I think you need to work a bit harder to explain what you are trying to do. For example, I do not understand what you are saying here: "one of the clip loose 1 image on 2 when put into vegas". If I cannot uderstand your question, I cannot answer it.

That said, you probably Should try to keep all of your video consistent when you bare trying to learn how to use Vegas. For example, trying to mix frame rates or using variable framerates is not a good idea for a beginning Vegas project. The same is true for using "hotfix" to try to "fix" your video. The Vegas forum is probably not a good choice for questions about "hotfix" especially why it does not work when used with Vegas.

My suggestion is to keep it simple. Shoot your video with consistent settings that you know will work in Vegas. Learn how to use Vegas to produce the finished product you want. When you can do this, move one step at a time towards more complicated projects, and allow enough time to learn the techniques needed to complete each project before moving on to the next step in your learning process.

Return to posts index

Steven Manson
on May 23, 2015 at 12:51:09 am

What I mean is that the 3rd record I made plays normally in vlc, but it looks laggy in sony vegas (and once encoded), and if I look frame by frame in vegas I see that nearly all frames are doubled.

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on May 23, 2015 at 6:03:44 am

Look, just set the framerate to 30 in the project properties and cut the first few frames off. At least try it and get back to us with a report. And do try to stay away from recording devices that have a variable frame rate. There is enough math to do without having to guess at what should be a constant. ;-)
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Steven Manson
on May 23, 2015 at 7:48:36 pm

I did, it was rather easy thanks to the "replace" option by right clicking on the record in the "Project media" window, now I do have to add 20,472s before each clip using this record and remove that time at the end of each too, I can do it one by one but if someone know a faster way...

but now I have another big issue : while vlc/mpc play this new file fine, vegas highly damage it, I can see some kind of red squares here and here. If I really need to I will try to find some space and use uncompressed AVI instead but I wish there is another solution.

For my next movies, do you know another software that recognize files better than vegas does ? I don't even need anything complex, all I need is to cut the bad takes and encode the rest. Vlmc by the makers of vlc came to my mind but it looks rather dead. I wish there was a well known "audacity for videos", Looks like there are some on linux, are they worth discovering linux just for one of those ?

Return to posts index

Steven Manson
on May 25, 2015 at 11:20:30 am

Nevermind, using avidemux but choosing mp4 instead of avi in output fixed the problem, didn't even had to cut anything.

I'm still open to suggestions for my latest paragraph, using vegas for my project was not only an overkill but inefficient.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]