FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering for YouTube. Been trying different render settings for almost a whole year now

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arron Appleyard
Rendering for YouTube. Been trying different render settings for almost a whole year now
on May 22, 2015 at 2:48:37 pm

So I am part of a collaborative youtube channel and I do several videos a week and I am trying to get better results with my videos but I still need help. I have no idea what to do and I have do extensive tests and trials with Sony Vegas, YouTube and other external programs and I am still bot getting the results I want.

I am comparing my footage to the footage of other youtubers and they seem to have much better video quality, yet as far as I am aware I am using settings for rendering that should equal their quality at the very least.

Here is my video

Here is Jessie Cox's

Here are my results for rendering, times, size.

I record footage using DXTory in a lossless format which results in files that are about 8 gig a minute of footage. I have plenty of HD space so size of files isn't an issue.

I use Sony Vegas 13 and have tried several things.

Main Concept AVC AAC 14 High 10 Average 2 Pass (CUDA) ClipL = 1:21 Time = 11:50 FileSize = 103,654KB
Main Concept AVC AAC 14 High 10 Average 2 Pass (CPU) ClipL = 1:21 Time = 11:46 FileSize = 103,654KB

Windows Media Video 11 Quality VBR AdvancedProf Quality 100% ClipL = 1:21 Time = 10:53 FileSize = 2,138,542KB
Windows Media Video 11 Quality VBR AdvancedProf Quality 93% ClipL = 1:21 Time = 9:24 FileSize = 1,294,852KB

Video For Windows UtVid YUV422 BT.709 VCM ClipL = 1:21 Time = 4:28 FileSize = 10,543,261KB
Video For Windows x264vfw codec ClipL = 1:21 Time = 4:52 FileSize = 518,082KB

FrameServer Presets ClipL = 1:21 Time = 4:45 FileSize = 205,119KB

MagicYUV Preset ClipL = 1:21 Time = 5:31 FileSize = 14,679,547KB

XAVC S HD Preset ClipL = 1:21 Time = 3:32 FileSize = 550,894KB

After being uploaded to youtube the videos all end up look similar, some slightly better than others but none of them look like Jessie's!

The video I posted above was Frame Server Render but is identical in quality to the MainConcept one just a bigger file size as far as I am can see.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

I have scoured these forums and many others trying out all sorts of methods and still my results for the most part lack the same quality as most other top youtubers.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: Rendering for YouTube. Been trying different render settings for almost a whole year now
on May 22, 2015 at 5:36:00 pm

One thing to remember Youtube/Vimeo re-encode everything you upload to them to their specifications. Bitrate being the key item. We have no control over this.

If the video you render for upload looks just fine and the result you get after upload does not look as good then you are getting the best Youtube/Vimeo can offer at their encoding specification. There is nothing you can do.

It all depends on the source material being given to them. High frequency detail, fast or jerky movement all need more bitrate to maintain quality. Some material will exceed the capabilities of the Youtube/Vimeo encode is capable of. Their bitrates need to get very high compression to maintain high quality. Some source material just does not compress very well.

Return to posts index

claude vonstroke
Re: Rendering for YouTube. Been trying different render settings for almost a whole year now
on Jun 26, 2015 at 12:11:30 pm
Last Edited By claude vonstroke on Jun 26, 2015 at 1:31:30 pm

I came to this thread hoping to learn something because I'm also struggling with render quality on youtube, so unfortunately I can't really offer much help. If it's any consolation I think your video looks great. You almost have to be looking for flaws when comparing it to Jessie's videos in order to see any lack of quality. Would you mind telling me what codec/dxtory settings you're using? I've been using Lagarith 1080p/60fps and the same render settings you have, with a much lower quality outcome.

I mainly ask this because, it seems that you're using the same render settings as the majority of people who make game play videos. With my experimenting I'm beginning to think that what separates the good and bad videos in quality MUST be during the recording process.

Return to posts index

Garrett O'Quinn
on Jun 29, 2015 at 9:57:43 pm

I assume you've been disabling re-sample for your entire project? If not, it can greatly increase quality in certain situations.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]