Has Sony changed their licensing?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Schroeder
Has Sony changed their licensing?
on May 21, 2015 at 8:37:05 pm

Hello everyone,

It's been a while but I'm back.

In recent versions you could install SVP on 2 computers, like one at the office and one at the studio. As long as you were not using them at the same time it was OK. Does anyone know if that has changed? I read the agreement for 13 and it seems like it's a per computer basis. I want to stay legal.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Schroeder

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: Has Sony changed their licensing?
on May 21, 2015 at 9:36:34 pm

Jeff, I've heard the same thing but according to the Sony Knowledgebase we're still ok. Mind you, this is a few years old but you'd expect it to still be current.

Installing or registering software on multiple computers

Installing or registering software on multiple computers
Published 06/08/2009 11:12 AM | Updated 10/04/2010 03:37 PM
What is the policy for installing and registering a Sony Creative Software program on multiple computers?

According the Sony Creative Software End User License Agreement, there is no restriction for installing or re-installing the software on multiple computers. Many users need to have the software installed on more than one computer (i.e., a home PC, a work PC, and a portable laptop) for the convenience of being able to work on projects at different locations. Our EULA allows for this type of use and only the purchase of a single license is required to do so.

If multiple, simultaneous use is needed, then according to the EULA purchase of multiple licenses will be required (i.e., a classroom or a business with multiple people using the same program at one time).

Each time the software is installed, it may be installed using the installation disc or by downloading directly from our Updates page.
Reinstalling requires that you enter the serial number provided with your ordered materials.
There is no need to de-activate or de-authorize your software when you are installing on a new computer.
The software should be registered using the same contact and user information each time it is registered.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 22, 2015 at 11:09:30 pm

Yes, it seems that Sony has changed the wording in their EULA and No, it does't say that you can install it on 2 computers anymore. I don't quite know when this changed happened but it's quite ridiculous if you ask me. Even the overbearing Adobe lets you install their software on 2 computers and Apple lets me install Final Cut Pro X on as many Mac's as I own (which currently 3).

Nothing has changed with the software. It still allows you to install it on multiple computers. I would think this wouldn't be possible if it were really true that it can only be installed on one physical computer. It looks the like Sony lawyers are completely out of touch with the developers and the customers.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on May 23, 2015 at 1:21:06 am

Whilst the EULA says that, Sony seems flexible! My 2nd (backup) editing PC died and when I tried to register SVP11 online, it would not work. I contacted Sony support and explained what happened and what I was trying to do, and they reset my counter. This would have been about 2 months ago,

My system specs: Intel i7 970, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Jeff Schroeder
on May 23, 2015 at 7:00:40 am

Thanks Mike, John and Nigel. It's good to be back!

2-Xeon X5680 @ 3.33, EVGA SR-2 Mobo, 48GB DDR3, GTX 580 3072MB, 16TB Attached Storage, Win7, Vegas 12 x64

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]