FORUMS: list search recent posts

How many minutes of MPEG2 onto a DVD

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Hughes
How many minutes of MPEG2 onto a DVD
on May 13, 2015 at 7:08:11 pm

Not come across the issue before as all my videos have only been around an Hr Max.

For a mate will be authoring video to standard MPEG 2 video 720x576 25 fps with 2 ch stereo audio .... 2 questions ...

1. is there a recommended bitrate setting, above which there is no gain in quality, no point setting to for example 9.8Mbps if that is not needed.

2. given the optimum setting in Q.1 what is then the max minutes of video that will fit onto a standard 4.7GB DVD

I know I can use 'fit to disk' option ......... but if I have a guide from 1 & 2, I can give him option at least get him to trim running length if too much over limit (or keep & reduce quality)

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: How many minutes of MPEG2 onto a DVD
on May 13, 2015 at 7:19:12 pm

You never want to use a bitrate of 9.8 as that's the limit for a DVD and that includes audio.
I just did a play last month that ran 2 hr. 15 min. and put it onto a single layer DVD.
You need to use a bitrate calculator to determine optimum 2-pass settings for the mpeg-2 encode from Vegas.
Here's one thread where I talk about the one I use.
How do you render the video and audio and equal less than 4gig, to fit a DV...

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on May 13, 2015 at 8:01:01 pm

I know from previous threads that I should keep below 9.8 ...

I though there was a 'Fit to Disk' or 'optimise' option in SMS (or DVDA) that automatically adjusted render to fit a DVD ... or am I thinking of some other program

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on May 13, 2015 at 9:15:41 pm

There might be but I prefer to get as much quality as I can so that's why I do custom renders from Vegas rather than letting DVDA do it's own guesswork as that usually means lower quality.

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on May 13, 2015 at 9:40:01 pm

OK .. happy to follow your advice ...

which Bitrate calculator then .... any you recommend

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on May 13, 2015 at 10:01:45 pm

I've been using this one for a very long time and it works great.

I make a few changes to the default settings by clicking the Settings button (lower left) on the main screen.
Click 1 Kilobit = 1000 bits.
Set the Default Audio Encoding to 192 Kb/s (this is the default for AC-3 audio encodes).
Change the Safety Margin from 1% to 5% (I like to give myself a bit of extra room).

My rule of thumb is to go no larger than a CBR of 8,000,000 for less than a 70 min. DVD.
Anything larger and I use a bitrate calculator to determine optimum settings.
Some folks say that you can go as high as 8,500,000 but I stick to my rule.
I've burned thousands of DVDs over the years and have have never had any returned to me.

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on May 13, 2015 at 10:27:42 pm

Thanks

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on May 14, 2015 at 12:08:30 am

You're welcome. Glad I could help. Feel free to ask anything that you need help with as we're a friendly bunch here :)

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on May 14, 2015 at 4:15:26 am

Record length depends on video bit rate, for talking heads or highly static images you can use like 3-4mbs. More motion requires more bandwidth headroom setting on the VBR. CBR is what the DVD is marked with.

I try and keep my dvds as small in data size as possible, this helps by reducing duplication time.

Also I try and stay below 3.95GB as the error rate sky rockets on most dvds beyond that. I think it has to do with slight wobble on the outside edge of the disk, or poor manufacturing. There are applications you can use to create full utilization test disks with your media, and determine record/playback issues or error rates.

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on May 14, 2015 at 12:38:23 pm

Mike ... just tried that Calc (applied settings you advised)

In attached pic you can see BitRate calc figures ... for the file I have (55:40 running time)

Is that correct the way I have applied them in template settings .......... just wanted to be sure as the bitrate calc states bitrate ... assume the numbers are in Kb rate

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on May 14, 2015 at 2:22:26 pm

Rick, what I neglected to mention is that if the program is 70 min. or less, I use a custom CBR of 8,000,000. Some folks have gone as high as 8,500,00 but I prefer to stay on the conservative side hence the lower number. Anything longer and it's a 2-pass VBR using the numbers from the calculator.
This assumes the AC-3 default setting of 192 Kb/s.
Use good name brand media and you'll never have a problem.
My preferred media is Taiyo-Yuden Watershield (great if you want to print on it!!). If I can't get that brand, then I will use Verbatim. These are the only two brands that I trust.

I should mention that DVDA sometimes get confused and says that the file is too big and needs to be recompressed. If you've checked your files and you know that you're under the 4.3 GB. limit (as you will be), ignore the warning and everything will proceed as normal.

Lastly, you may want to make and always use the following custom AC-3 preset to ensure that your program is as loud as you expected it to be.

Encode set to AC3;
Click on Custom tab;
On the first tab, set Dialog Norm at -31 (this sets it at unity gain);
On the last tab marked Preprocessing, set the Line Mode Profile and RF Mode Profile mode to "none";
DC High Pass Filter On (this operates at <=3Hz and takes DC bias out of the mix);
Bandwidth Low Pass Filter On (this takes aliasing noise at >20kHz out of the encode).
Save this as a preset.

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on May 14, 2015 at 3:07:52 pm
Last Edited By Rick Hughes on May 14, 2015 at 3:24:14 pm

Thanks for comment on setting to CBR.
For interest I did set the Calculator to CBR and it suggests 9,608,000 any reason not to use this value ?

Not following the AC3 comments though.

On advice here I normally render video & audio separately they drop both files into DVDA, only then render separately the audio AC3.
Video using Main Concept MPEG-2 and then audio using Dolby Digital-AC3 studio

If I go the AC3 encoder in Movie Studio .... there are no options ... i.e. the 'customize Template' is greyed ?

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on May 14, 2015 at 3:17:34 pm

And therein lies the difference between Studio & Pro. I have Pro and have those options but Sony, in their infinite "wisdom", decided that Studio users didn't need it so ignore that custom tweak.

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on May 14, 2015 at 3:56:53 pm

Thanks anyway

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on May 14, 2015 at 5:41:01 pm

Thanks for comment on setting to CBR.

I also mentioned the following:

For interest I did set the Calculator to CBR and for the same clip it suggests 9,608,000 any reason not to use this value ?
I know you said you use 8,000,000 ... is there an issue going above that ?

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on May 14, 2015 at 6:04:01 pm

There are two issues with going higher than 8,500,000.
#1 is that most DVD players these days are so cheaply made that they can't handle a high bitrate and quite often choke on it.
My first DVD player several years ago was a top of the line Pioneer and it was $400. I can buy a blu-ray player today for less than $50. Build quality and reliability suffer (a lot) when that happens.
#2 is that a lot of consumers buy the cheapest blank DVDs they can get and they can't reliably handle such a high bitrate either. They often don't last very long either. I've had friends who bought cheap DVDs only to have them fall apart in less than 6 months.

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on May 14, 2015 at 6:23:39 pm

Thanks

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on May 14, 2015 at 6:37:13 pm

You're welcome. Good luck with the project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]