FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good Intermediate Codec for 4K

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger Alexander
Good Intermediate Codec for 4K
on May 11, 2015 at 3:56:22 am

Hey guys I shoot/edit music videos and often round trip files from vegas to be edited in After Effects and then back to Vegas.

For years my intermediate codec was cineform or DNxHD which only support up to 1080p. I would render to cineform from vegas and import into AE. I have recently moved up to shooting 4k but I cannot find a good intermediate codec that handles the resolutions for UHD and Cinema 4k.

The closest I have been able to read up on is Avid's DNxHR codec which I believe handles 4k but it doesn't appear to be available to the public, I've searched everywhere for it. Does anyone know of a good intermediate codec that is not very lossy but keeps file sizes down?

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Good Intermediate Codec for 4K
on May 11, 2015 at 7:15:43 pm
Last Edited By Aaron Star on May 11, 2015 at 7:21:27 pm

EXR would be a good choice if Vegas support the latest versions with integrated compression. EXR is your "best" choice for working 4K in ACES.

Next I would say XAVC-intra, as this I believe is Sony's upgrade to HDCAM SR codec. "Sony PMW-F55 can record XAVC with 4K resolution at 60 fps at 600 Mbit/s." 600mbs, 12-bit video would be an acceptable intermediate, if you do not want to work EXR. The real question is after effects updated enough to handle it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XAVC

MagicYUV when the 10-bit support is released, might be a good one too in the future.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]