FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question about aspect ratio

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Bello
Question about aspect ratio
on May 10, 2015 at 2:31:36 am

I have video that was shot in 4:3, which I would like to edit into a short film, to be viewed by ordinary people on their TV sets.

If I try to "convert" this to 16:9, I understand it will look stretched, or I will lose top and bottom (neither of which I want to do). So I'm told the best option is to just edit it in 4:3, and let it be what it is (4:3).

MY CONCERN: If I play this on my TV, I will set the aspect ratio as "normal", and the film will look OK. But many people now-a-days will pop this video into their TV and will view it in "widescreen" mode. A lot of people just have their TV set on widescreen all the time and don't ever change it.. nor do they even understand what "aspect ratio" is. So -- they will be viewing a goofy-looking, stretched-out version of my film.

Is there any solution to this? Is there any way of setting up the project as "widescreen" and having black bars on the sides? (If this IS possible -- do you think this looks really ugly and annoying?)

Any thoughts on this dilemma will be very much appreciated..

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Question about aspect ratio
on May 10, 2015 at 2:45:23 am

I do this all the time with footage from 8, hi-8 and DV sources. Simply set your project properties to a 16x9 setting--I usually use 1280x720 at 60P since my projects also involve stills which are "HD" even though the video footage is not. For 4:3 footage, I usually have "something" in the side bars, although it is not necessary. Suggest you simply create a project with the following template "HD 720-60p (1280x720, 59.940 fps)" and add one of your clips to the timeline and judge for yourself.

wwaag

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Question about aspect ratio
on May 10, 2015 at 1:34:24 pm

[Joe Bello] "MY CONCERN: If I play this on my TV, I will set the aspect ratio as "normal", and the film will look OK. But many people now-a-days will pop this video into their TV and will view it in "widescreen" mode. A lot of people just have their TV set on widescreen all the time and don't ever change it.. nor do they even understand what "aspect ratio" is. So -- they will be viewing a goofy-looking, stretched-out version of my film."
You're completely missing the point. People who set their TV to stretch mode DON'T CARE! (trust me, i've spent a lot of time trying to convince these people otheriwse) They really don't care that the pictures is stretched and neither should you. Just deliver your footage as is and don't worry about how people consume it.
[Joe Bello] "Is there any solution to this? Is there any way of setting up the project as "widescreen" and having black bars on the sides? (If this IS possible -- do you think this looks really ugly and annoying?) "
No, there is no solution. If you bake black bars (or any color bars) into the sides, the "ordinary people" will be watching a small postage stamp of a picture because there ordinary TV's will letter box (place black bars on the top and bottom) and they your video is pillar-boxed (with black bars on the sides) so they will see huge black bars all the way around a small postage-stamp sized picture. Don't do it!

If you were delivering 4:3 to a 16:9 audience is would be a different story. But if you are delivering 4:3 to a 4:3 audience, then don't worry about the 16:9 audience. They will either be smart enough to keep their TV in normal mode, or oblivious enough to keep it in stretch mode. You're not going to change this. (i.e., it's not your problem to solve)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]