FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mpeg-4 vs mp4 vs Xvid?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Antonio
Mpeg-4 vs mp4 vs Xvid?
on May 4, 2015 at 9:37:39 pm

I have a new Sony Head Unit in my truck and I've been trying to burn a few video data DVD's

According to the manual, max video resolution from a DVD data disc is 720 x 576 @ 30fps for both Xvid and MPEG-4

If I use the USB ports, there's a max res of 1280 x 720 @ 30fps

Problem is I have yet to get regular .mp4 video files downloaded from YouTube to play via burned data disc (shows the amount of files, but then spits it out and says "no playable data")

The files play fine using the USB ports, however, the rear monitors don't work when the USB ports are used, so I'll need to use the DVD if I want the kids to watch, otherwise I'd actually prefer to use the USB's

Sony suggested finalizing the discs (which I have) as well as trying different burning software and media like DVD+R's instead of DVD-R's, but none worked.

Then earlier today, a buddy sent me an XVid video file to try out and it worked as it should using a regular DVD-R

So now the questions:

1) Is there a difference between "Mpeg4" and the .mp4 files that I downloaded from YouTube?

2) If so, is there an Mpeg4 plug in option for Vegas Pro 12 so I can re-render the files as such?

3) Is there an XVid plug in for Vegas 12?

4) Is there any other file type I can use that might already be listed in my current render plug ins for Pro 12?

Rick

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Mpeg-4 vs mp4 vs Xvid?
on May 5, 2015 at 12:40:41 pm

[Rick Antonio] "1) Is there a difference between "Mpeg4" and the .mp4 files that I downloaded from YouTube?"
MPEG4 is a very broad specification. So broad that it's almost impossible for any program to support all of it's variations. In this respect, you can have two .mp4 files that vary widely. So much so, that one may play fine in Vegas Pro and the other may not. So "technically" there are differences between .mp4 files that matter. For example: the QuickTime encoder in Vegas Pro has an option for MPEG4 but it renders H.263 which is an older format. Today when someone says, "mpeg4" the probably mean H.264. But both formats (H.263 & H.264) are considered MPEG4.
[Rick Antonio] "2) If so, is there an Mpeg4 plug in option for Vegas Pro 12 so I can re-render the files as such?"
Both the Sony AVC and MainConcept AVC encoders will produce AVC/H.264 MP4 files from Vegas Pro.
[Rick Antonio] "3) Is there an XVid plug in for Vegas 12?"
Xvid uses an AVI container so all you need to do is download Xvid 64-bit, go into the Video for Windows (*.avi) encoder in Vegas Pro and create a template for it, selecting Xvid as the format that you want to use.
[Rick Antonio] "4) Is there any other file type I can use that might already be listed in my current render plug ins for Pro 12?"
It's not clear to me what you are trying to do. Your post is confusing because you are placing video files on DVD media as data and playing them on something, but I can't tell what that "something" is.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Rick Antonio
on May 5, 2015 at 2:47:35 pm

Thanks for the info, John.

That something is a Sony XAV-712HD DVD Head Unit in my Land Cruiser.

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=XAV712HD

It actually plays the mp4 files I downloaded from YouTube just fine using a flash drive and one of the USB ports, but then I'm limited to only viewing the videos on the main screen as the rear kiddie monitors will only function for the DVD player and standard auxiliary inputs (this is why I'm trying to get the files on DVD)

The DVD player is capable of playing data discs (DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-/+RW), but according to the manual, it's limited to xVid and Mpeg4 (they say "Mpeg4" specifically, not .mp4)

I was able to play an xVid file burned to a DVD-R, but I have yet to get a .mp4 file to work.

Max video resolution from a DVD data disc is 720 x 576 for both Xvid and MPEG-4. Via USB, max resolution is 1280 x 720 for both H.264/AVC and WMV.

I've already confirmed that xvid files burned as data on a DVD-R works, but looking at my options for Mpeg4's

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 5, 2015 at 6:09:06 pm

[Rick Antonio] "I've already confirmed that xvid files burned as data on a DVD-R works, but looking at my options for Mpeg4's"
OK, then I would start with MainConcept AVC encoder and create an MP4 file using several of the templates and see which ones play.

I suggest trying: Apple iPod 640x480 Video and Internet 480p Widescreen to start. Since it's reading the DVD as data, and it's a Sony product, maybe it might work with the Sony Tablet 720p template. Basically, just try a few templates and see what plays.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]