FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas 13 Pro EXTREMELY Slow.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Perry
Sony Vegas 13 Pro EXTREMELY Slow.
on May 3, 2015 at 7:01:00 pm

So I went ahead and bought Vegas 13 because a few people told me it worked great for what they were doing. Right now, my preview window with all my settings as low as possible is getting around 1-2 FPS. I dedicated 6GB of RAM to the program. It doesn't seem to be using it though?

I have my preview window at Draft(Half). I tried quarter and it wasn't any better. I also turned off the dynamic adjustment so it won't try to give me anything other than what I set it to.
I set it to 16 rendering threads.

Under properties I have it set to 1920x1080, Progressive Scan, 23.976 frame rate and left everything else as is. The type of film I'm recording with is 1080p AVI using the NVenc encoder. It's the best quality for the least amount of compression. I would use Raw video, but 45 minutes at 30FPS of screen time is MASSIVE. Some days I can spend up to 4 hours of recording, so with my setup its not even feasible.

The reason i feel like I'm doing something wrong here is because my computer is fairly new and fairly quick. Here's the setup I'm using.

Intel Core i7 3990k 3.2Ghz 6-Core processor.
Asrock LGA 2011 motherboard.
2x Nvidia GTX 780's
2x 256GB Samsung Evo 840 Pro
16GB DDR3 2400 in dual channel (2x8GB)
Its water cooled and overclocked to 4.2Ghz. The RAM is at stock speed.

Hopefully I'm just doing something wrong, but if anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Sony Vegas 13 Pro EXTREMELY Slow.
on May 3, 2015 at 8:04:58 pm

[Eric Perry] "The type of film I'm recording with is 1080p AVI using the NVenc encoder."
That Encoder from nVidia was for the Kepler based 600 Series cards. That would be my first port of call to see just how your 700 Series card can deal with it. Read the nVidia site and ask on their forums.

Have you "Matched" your Media to the Project in Project Settings? This is a H.264 format. You could also have a high bitrate. I think that H264 (is QT?) and the high bitrate could be factors.

Vegas IS fast. Vegas deals with many formats and encoders. Your colleagues are correct. In the meantime try and transcode a D.I. from your footage and try that in Vegas.

We need to know MORE about the Media you are using.

Best regards

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 4, 2015 at 12:06:31 am

I agree with Graham. The codec is probably the problem. You may need to convert those files to a codec that Vegas can edit more easily or not use that codec at all. Understand that Vegas Pro is designed for videographers so it works best with codecs that come from popular cameras (e.g., DV, MJPEG, HDV, AVCHD, XAVC, XDCAM, MXF, MPEG4, etc). It's not optimized for other codecs.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Eric Perry
on May 4, 2015 at 4:51:22 am

Thank you for both of the responses. I didn't even think about the fact that the onboard encoder was for a different chipset. I don't HAVE to use the NVenc, however I was using for the sake of quality V.s. Size.

I'm recording mostly applications that require DirectX9+ (Games, Cinematics, and some DX loadings screens), So i have to use an application that can directly bind itself to anything DX. I only have a few choices as to what I can record my screen with. I have two raw data formats. RGB26 and YV12, which seem to be a bit more stable; They take up WAY too much space though. My other options would be Xvid or Mpeg-1.

I could custom install a different codec, but which codec would allow me to keep my frame rates acceptable while recording and also maintaining a decent level of quality?

I picked the NVenc because it was the fastest codec for the quality and size, but if I can use more space while keeping the quality and speed the same I will definitely do it. I'm a little new to this right now, any advice is helpful. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on May 4, 2015 at 7:22:35 pm

NVenc outputs AVC/H.264. Why don't you give us a MediaInfo report on the file you want to use in Vegas. MediaInfo is a free utility program.

AVC can be time consuming to decode, and the Vegas AVC decoder can be quirky with some AVC output. GoPro AVC files are a well known issue with Vegas decode performance.

Return to posts index

Rick Antonio
on May 4, 2015 at 9:45:37 pm

yep, sounds like the codec to me

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 5, 2015 at 11:58:05 am

[Norman Black] "NVenc outputs AVC/H.264."
I wonder if you can use a tool like tsMuxeR to re-wrap the MPEG4 video in a new container that Vegas will play better with?

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on May 5, 2015 at 6:00:16 pm

[John Rofrano] "[Norman Black] "NVenc outputs AVC/H.264."
I wonder if you can use a tool like tsMuxeR to re-wrap the MPEG4 video in a new container that Vegas will play better with?"

Or maybe even Avidemux, or Cliptoolz convert to rewrap video into to MP4. Audio would need converting to AAC if it is PCM for AVC MP4 files in Vegas.

In an AVI file for AVC I would assume Vegas is going through Video for Windows. Getting Vegas to use the native Vegas decoders may give better performance.

Anyway we still do not have any specs on the source video the OP is having problems with. Hard to comment further without info.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]