FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hi pitched whirring noise after rendering

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Lindsay
Hi pitched whirring noise after rendering
on Apr 30, 2015 at 4:11:22 pm

This noise was not there in the edit on V11. I did use the sony EQ filter, but just tested a piece w/ out the filter and there is still a hi-pitched whirring on the track, very noticeable.

I captured the audio with a Sennheiser G3 lav into a brand new Saramonic DSLR mixer. It sounded fine on the set.

And, there is no hint of the noise in the Vegas playback itself. I hope there is a reasonable fix for this. The noise is there on my Realplayer and QT player.

Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

Rob Lindsay
Re: Hi pitched whirring noise after rendering
on Apr 30, 2015 at 4:14:39 pm

I just checked the original file in Realplayer and there is no noise, TG. I', guessing its the EQ I used, but when I changed to default eq on a clip and rendered it out and played it on RP, the noise was still there.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Apr 30, 2015 at 4:17:22 pm

What file type did you render out to?

Return to posts index

Rob Lindsay
on Apr 30, 2015 at 4:32:25 pm

Hi -- MP4 the same saved render (according to Vimeo specs for Vegas) that I've used for many projects.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Apr 30, 2015 at 4:40:59 pm

Even though you used the same render template, you threw a new piece of gear into the mix so my suspicions would be with it. I googled that mixer and the reviews were mixed on it.
To repeat, posting a small original audio sample here would help us to better help you.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Apr 30, 2015 at 5:13:33 pm

One thing you could try is to render the video to a wav format. Check that file to see if your noise is still present. If the noise is not present, bring the wav file into your project, and use it as your audio source for the mp4. If it is present, you can either adjust your fxs in Vegas, or analyze/remove the noise from the wav file with an audio editor if you have one.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Apr 30, 2015 at 4:18:53 pm

Can you upload a small original file so that we can try it for our self and see what we find.

Return to posts index

Rob Lindsay
on Apr 30, 2015 at 5:22:08 pm

Mike

I am uploading a file and it is encoding now.

Return to posts index

Rob Lindsay
on Apr 30, 2015 at 5:53:28 pm

Here is the link. Not sure if I did the link riught but the clip is uploaded.

https://reels.creativecow.net/film/clip-without-then-with-noise

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Apr 30, 2015 at 6:05:21 pm

Rob, I can't see a way to download that file.
What I was looking for was an original WAV file as recorded with your mic and new mixer.

Return to posts index

Rob Lindsay
on Apr 30, 2015 at 6:34:46 pm

This is the original .mov file from the camera. It's both audio and video. I dont know how to separate them.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Apr 30, 2015 at 6:36:42 pm

In your first post you said I captured the audio with a Sennheiser G3 lav into a brand new Saramonic DSLR mixer.
If it exists, that's the audio file I'm looking for.

Return to posts index

Rob Lindsay
on Apr 30, 2015 at 7:11:56 pm

Mike, it's a mixer, not a recorder. I doesnt make a separate file, AFAIK, just adjusts the gain and sends the signal to the camera.

Return to posts index

Rob Lindsay
on Apr 30, 2015 at 8:38:15 pm

I've talked to the sales rep and apparently the new unit will send a 20khz signal to the DSLR to turn off AGC. There is a switch to shut this down but the switch was in the on position.

I have tried a couple of the Sony audio filters to little effect. If this is a 20khz signal, there must be, as Saramonic told the rep, an "easy way to filter it".

Can anyone recco the correct filters for this? I have tried the EQ with a High Shelf filter that looked pretty severe, but had little impact.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Rob Lindsay
on Apr 30, 2015 at 10:08:16 pm

Why would this noise be heard on the rendered MP$ and not at all in the Vegas project window?

I'm thinking the notch filter is the best of a bad set of choices. It's not a 20kz tone, there are freq's down to 5k.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Apr 30, 2015 at 10:23:19 pm

20khz is at the upper limit of human hearing. That, plus the inability of the EQ to kill it, suggests that the noise is below 20khz. If you haven't tried it, the Graphic Equalizer should absolutely kill any sound in that range. Just add two points to the curve, and pull the last section of the curve (15khz to 20khz for example)to -inf. If that does do it, you can slide those two points down to lower frequencies until it hits your noise. That will at least tell about what frequency it is.

BTW, you can render out a wav file by simply choosing wav for the kind of file you want the render to generate.

Return to posts index

Rob Lindsay
on Apr 30, 2015 at 10:29:33 pm

Thanks, Bob. I have been working with the Graphic EQ and have had some success, but the noise is multi-frequency. And all over the +5k range.

I have been able to mute it at the expense of the voice quality of the speaker. I am really looking for a magic bullet here to avoid a reshoot.

I will upload a wav file soon.

Return to posts index

Rob Lindsay
on Apr 30, 2015 at 11:05:03 pm

Here is the link to the wav file.

8785_lifetimehearingintrovideo.wav.zip

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on May 1, 2015 at 4:07:46 pm
Last Edited By Bob Peterson on May 1, 2015 at 4:22:01 pm

I processed the file in Izotope rx3 advanced. It does indeed have a 20khz tone which is quite large in amplitude, and which I can hear. I used the spectral repair tool in rx3 to remove this 20khz tone. There was still a little noise in the recording which I heard during the silent periods between the words the speaker was saying. I used rx3's denoiser to reduce this noise substantially. It sounds much better to me, but I'm old enough that I've lost some of my ability to hear high frequencies. See what you think.

I've tried twice now to upload the file using the upload file icon, and it has not worked. Sorry, but it may be tomorrow before I can try to figure out how to do this upload.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on May 1, 2015 at 5:00:15 pm

OK, I figured out the upload and link. I also downloaded and accessed the file. So all is working for me. Yes, I'll be glad to send you my email.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on May 1, 2015 at 4:54:09 pm
Last Edited By Bob Peterson on May 1, 2015 at 4:56:02 pm

OK,here is the link to the uploaded file;

https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/334/8792

Now, I've got to try and remember how to add a link.

Return to posts index

Rob Lindsay
on May 1, 2015 at 5:20:48 pm

Bob

Where were the main culprit frequencies? This had to be more than a simple 20kz tone, right? And if so, could it have been interference from an external source?

I just did a test with the same audio setup, switching between the AGC "off" setting and the AGC "on" setting, rendered it out, and got no difference at all-- and no noise at all. so now I'm wondering if it mat have been external. perhaps my low cost Chinese mixer is lacking in shielding some where?

Do you have a thought on it?

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on May 1, 2015 at 7:16:36 pm

No, it was centered at 20112 hz with a volume which was about 70db higher than the frequencies below and above it. It began spiking at, if I'm reading Rx 3 correctly, 19906 hz, reached its peak, and returned to the average volume level at 20276 hz. There are no other significant peaks on the frequency curve. Rx3 displays the frequencies in a wave form as a secondary scale on its horizontal axis. There was a very narrow band which was quite loud. That was what made it easy to remove. I simply selected the band, and attenuated everything within the selection. The denoiser may have removed a few other peaks that perhaps complicated the issue.

I'm afraid I have no idea what caused it. In writing this note, I decided to be a little more precise with the repair by taking out just the band I mentioned above. In the first attempt, I simply drew a circle around the bar, so it took out a bit more of the high frequencies. I plan to send you this revised version.

Return to posts index

Rob Lindsay
on May 1, 2015 at 7:37:26 pm

Bob

Thank you for the update. i am surprised then that the Sony EQ could not handle something as cut and dried as this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]