FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hi Resolution JPEG

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Linda O'Connell
Hi Resolution JPEG
on Apr 27, 2015 at 6:38:44 pm

I know how to get a still JPEG picture from the timeline..but the resolution is really, really low. Is there a better way of getting a higher resolution picture?
Now I am going up to the preview box and hitting the save button above the preview box. Is there a better way?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Hi Resolution JPEG
on Apr 27, 2015 at 7:14:02 pm

Make sure that your preview is set to Best (Full).

wwaag

Return to posts index

Linda O'Connell
on Apr 27, 2015 at 8:22:07 pm

It is set at best but the size of the file is only 78KB. Is that the best I can expect?

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Apr 27, 2015 at 8:30:13 pm

Save it as PNG

Return to posts index

Linda O'Connell
on Apr 27, 2015 at 8:59:46 pm

Thanks! That worked a bit better.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Apr 27, 2015 at 9:59:26 pm

What are your project settings? If I drag a 1080P clip onto the timeline, set the project to 1080, then copy, open in Photoshop and save as a JPG, the file size is a little over 400 KB or over 5 times as large.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Linda O'Connell
on Apr 27, 2015 at 10:06:52 pm

Perfect. Yes, my settings are wrong...they are old VHS tapes so I don't have them set for 1080. I can make that work though. Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Apr 27, 2015 at 10:21:23 pm

That depends on your project, and how you are capturing the image. I have a project which is set to use 720x480 which is standard definition. If I use Photoshop to capture the image placed on the clipboard by Vegas, Photoshop reports an image size of 655x480 which, Photoshop says, is a bit over 921kB. If I save the image from Photoshop as a jpeg with maximum quality, I get a 200kB image. If I save it as a PNG, I get the full 921kB (actually 924kB). So, 78kB on an SD image says Vegas is using lots of compression for jpeg. You should probably use software which is designed to work with still images if you want good results for still images.

Return to posts index

Greg Barringer
on Apr 28, 2015 at 2:10:45 am
Last Edited By Greg Barringer on Apr 28, 2015 at 2:16:05 am

A little education on photography resolution;
A photograph's resolution is measured in pixels, not file size.
A photo captured at 1920 x1080 = 2,073,600 pixels or 2.07 megapixels. That's the resolution no matter what format it's saved in.

.png, jpeg, .tiff are types of format and compression. Of the three, .tiff gives the most lateral adjustment for highlights and shadows. As a result, .tiff has the larger file size because it has less compression.

If you saved the same photo in all three format, they would all have the same resolution, 1920 x 1080.
Resolution determines the size that a photo can be printed. Professional print labs like MPIX, require a minimum of 150 ppi (pixel per inch) so a 1920 x 1080 image can be printed 7" x 10" max.
1920 / 150
1080 / 150

The best file format for photography editing is RAW. That's is the image taken directly from the sensor of the camera without any compression, color correction, or any other adjustment. RAW images give a wide gamut of adjustment levels and is the preferred format of professional photographers. RAW can be edited and saved as jpeg or any other format. Even a RAW image can have a resolution of 1920 x 1080, but a huge file size.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 28, 2015 at 3:22:57 am

Greg, that's one of the best replies on this subject I've read. Recently there has been much discussion revolving around correct settings and the understanding of resolution that your clear tutorial should be NAILED to the top of this Forum - forget "sticky", it should be nailed!

Greg, thanks for your input.

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Apr 28, 2015 at 4:14:55 pm

There is one aspect of photos which you are missing. Although the jpeg of a given photo always retains the same number of pixels, it does not always retain the same level of quality, or sharpness. That is because varying levels of compression are used in jpegs. Thus, a jpeg with a resolution of 655x480, or 655 pixels x 480 pixels, can be saved in one rendition with a file size of 78kB and in another rendition with a file size of 200kB. Those two versions of the image, when reopened, will both still have the same pixel count, but one will be substantially less sharp than the other. It will have noticeably less quality and detail. That is because jpeg uses a lossy form of compression when it saves the photo. Lossy means that pixels are literally discarded when saving the image to a file, and an algorithm recreates them when the image file is reopened for viewing. Within Photoshop and probably other photo programs, the amount of lossiness can be set when the image is saved.

Images saved in the tiff format are compressed, but the compression is lossless. When reopened, the image is perfectly recovered so that the reopened image is the same as the image which was originally saved. I'm not sure about pngs, but is looks to me like they are not compressed at all.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]