FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blur on photo video presentation

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson Phillips
Blur on photo video presentation
on Apr 27, 2015 at 8:33:35 am

I'm creating a couple of photo videos for my nephew's wedding, you know, the bride and groom growing up, etc. I've kind of been out of the loop on Vegas for the last several years, and am new to Vegas 13 and rendering in HD. (I had Vegas 4)

Back in the day, I'd make a DVD presentation and the photos would look clear as clear when moving about the screen... I was rendering DVDs back then, in SD resolution.

I've got my video how I want it, but now when I render the side to side motion on any photos looks pretty bad. The zooming in and out looks good, but lateral movement is really blurry until I make the photo stop.

What is the best way to overcome or try to mitigate this? I've tried rendering to several different HD formats, and experimented with progressive, interpolated, resampling on resampling off, and it's the same.

Is there a way in Vegas 13 to improve the quality of a photo moving across the screen?

Any help would be appreciated, the wedding is Friday. Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Blur on photo video presentation
on Apr 27, 2015 at 10:58:22 am

[Nelson Phillips] "I've got my video how I want it, but now when I render the side to side motion on any photos looks pretty bad. The zooming in and out looks good, but lateral movement is really blurry until I make the photo stop."
I'm guessing that your photos were taken with a modern camera which probably shoots 8-12 mega-pixel (MP). HD is 2 MP. Back in the day, your camera was probably 1-2 MP. That's why it all looked great. Today, you are asking Vegas Pro to resize 12 MP pictures down to 2 MP at 30 times a second. That's asking a lot from a video program. I would resize your photos in a photo editor to bring them closer to 2 MP and they should look a lot better. Also remember to render using Best quality if you are resizing photos by zooming. Best uses bi-cubic resize instead of bi-linear like Good does.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Apr 27, 2015 at 3:38:19 pm

I usually reduce the photos to about twice the resolution of the final DVD. This allows a bit of zooming without excessive pixelation. I also save the photos in PNG format since I think Vegas has an easier time with the PNG format. If you are seeing image problems such as blurring in preview, don't be too concerned unless you are using Best, Full for your preview mode. Preview, Auto and other preview settings are not attempting to show you fine details because they are trying to maintain a decent preview speed or frame rate. I always render using the Best setting as John says.

Return to posts index

Nelson Phillips
on Apr 27, 2015 at 4:55:43 pm

Thanks for the quick replies! The photos I'm using were sent to me by the families, and are scans of prints, about 500kb in size at most.

The issue isn't in the preview, which, other than the stuttering, looks clear. The issue is in the actual rendered production. When I pause a photo in movement you can clearly see (ghosting?) blurred pixels.

I used to be able to get these fairly clear and crisp with Vegas 4, but that was at standard resolution onto a DVD. These new HD formats (mp4, m2v) are kicking my butt.

I guess I'm just asking those of you who are gurus at Vegas what the best render settings and formats are to minimize blurring in HD?

Return to posts index

Nelson Phillips
on Apr 27, 2015 at 5:10:27 pm

Here's a screen grab of what I'm talking about, paused from the rendered m2v file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8QoMOigz8XBRGNZcGVXb0pPRnc/view?usp=shari...

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Apr 27, 2015 at 7:11:51 pm

It appears that your animated pans are simply too fast and that you're experiencing judder. Try slowing down your pans or increase the frame rate of your project (I always do mine at 60P).

wwaag

Return to posts index

Nelson Phillips
on Apr 27, 2015 at 8:28:01 pm

That was it! Increasing the frame rate got rid of the 'judder' on the photos! Thanks to all who answered, with a special thanks to Wayne. It's a cool group of people who'll take time to help newbies and part timers learn, and it's much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]