FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Practice for cutting video with 2-camera scenes

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Lindsay
Best Practice for cutting video with 2-camera scenes
on Apr 27, 2015 at 3:43:05 am

Hi -- I'm cutting a doc with 2 camera interviews, shot at different times over 2 days. I have MOS b-roll as well shot with the subjects in other scenes.

Is there a best way in Vegas Pro 11 to sync and keep synced the paired shots? How can I most expediently work with them in the TL? Cam 2 will be used for short sync side angles.

They will compose the bulk of the video. Right now i am making subclips, cutting them in sync as short clips and labeling them.

is there a better way?

Thanks to all!

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Best Practice for cutting video with 2-camera scenes
on Apr 27, 2015 at 8:16:12 am
Last Edited By Aaron Star on Apr 27, 2015 at 8:21:47 am

I normally make Video Tracks 1 and 2, cameras A and B. Make the audio tracks 1 and 2 to relate to the cameras. Sync the camera sound together, then group the audio and video of clips to together. If you have a 3rd audio track like location a sound recorder, then sync that and include with the camera A/B grouping.

Video track 3 would be B-roll.
Video track 4+ would be graphics, ...

Now when editing the time line, all you need to do is make a cut (s) and mute the video track clip that you do not want seen, this make for a faux multi-camera cutting mode. I find that using the multicam editing mode is more useful on long form recording, like and events. Shorter work, you can run into problems trying to make changes after the fact. If Camera 2 is only going to be lightly used, put camera A on top, or mute camera b overall and unmute only when needed.

Group the synced clips individually as a unit at the beginning. This is the best way I find to keep things from getting out of sync, when moving things around with Ripple edit. Cntl+L, and live with Ripple off and use it only when needed. I find this keeps tracks aligned better, and run into less sync mess when clips start moving.

Track 5+ is normally a blank/open track, useful for make an edit/split across all media below. If you do not have this, selecting a clip will edit only the selected clip which is problematic when working with grouped clips.

Pluraleyes can help with project setup, and audio clip sync at the beginning.

Return to posts index

Roger Bansemer
on Apr 27, 2015 at 12:43:25 pm

Good tips.
If you're going to do much editing with multi-cameras, then PluralEyes is well worth getting. With that you just put each video and audio on different tracks then highlight what you want to sync and it syncs everything for you very easily.

Roger Bansemer - PaintingAndTravel.com

Return to posts index

Rob Lindsay
on Apr 27, 2015 at 4:45:19 pm

Thank you -- I am putting some of your advice to good use!

I have a bug that is arising more often with the track: when i click the "Make invisible"button on any track, they all go dark. I fixed this the first time by restarting. Is there a better way?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Apr 27, 2015 at 3:26:44 pm

I essentially do the same thing as Aaron, but there are key differences. I make copies of the camera video tracks, and use the copies to make a multi-camera track. I find it much easier to find the best cut spots by looking at the multi-camera preview screen. Once those spots are located, I use them to set markers on a composite envelope for the top track. The composite envelope is then used to make the "cuts" by varying the comosite level from 0% to 100%. The "cut" can be sharp or gradual, and it can be moved and adjusted later as much as I like. I do not split the camera tracks to make a cut. Once the composite envelope is finished, I delete the multi-camera track.

If there are three cameras, then the top two camera tracks get composite envelopes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]