FORUMS: list search recent posts

Archival process

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ross Stark
Archival process
on Apr 23, 2015 at 5:35:41 pm

I know this is the SVP forum. I'm posting this here on purpose (because you guys are always top-notch in giving great responses and being most helpful to some know-nothing like myself) That being said, a huge "Thank You" to all those that have taken the time on this forum to assist me!

I would like to know in fairly general terms how you guys go about archiving your current/previous projects. For me, I have the need to keep all of my projects (at least the finished version) forever. I have many things that a customer may ask me about 5 years down the road. I work with audio only and video projects, so I'm eating up some hard drive space. Do you guys ever use data DVDs or BDs in the archival process?

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: Archival process
on Apr 23, 2015 at 5:41:16 pm

External hard drives are so cheap these days that I don't worry about buying another one or four :)
A lot of folks in your position build in the cost of the drive to the customer's bill so that they pay for the drive.
Remember to check the drive at least once every 6 months to ensure proper operation as drives can and do go bad.
Having another backup (off site in case of fire, theft, etc.) is always a good idea too.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Apr 23, 2015 at 6:39:08 pm

I used to back up to DVDs and/or tape, but I don't do that any more. I now use two external drives. One has all the files that were used in the project. The other has all of the files except for the media files originally generated by the camera. I do not save the media files on the second drive because I do not want use the space, and the likelihood that I will need to redo the render is extremely low.

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
on Apr 23, 2015 at 6:44:28 pm

External hard droves, if it's a paying client. One for every project, unless more space is needed. Cheap and easy.

Dave

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Apr 25, 2015 at 3:32:11 am
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Apr 25, 2015 at 3:34:01 am

[Ross Stark] "I would like to know in fairly general terms how you guys go about archiving your current/previous projects."
Here is one suggested workflow using 3 external drives:

Drive 1: Camera Archive
This drive contains all of your camera archives. When you shoot some video, you plug your camera card into your computer along with the Camera Archive drive. Then create a new folder on the Camera Archive drive with the date and name of the event (e.g., 2015-02-15_Valentines_Day_Shoot) and you copy the entire contents of the camera card (not just the video files) into it. Over time this drive will contain the archives of all of your camera cards. (note: add more drives as needed)

Drive 2: Video Projects
This drive contains all of your active projects. I usually like for this to be an internal drive but I have used an external USB 3.0 drive for this as well. This drive will contain all of your active projects so it doesn't need to be too big. When you are ready to start a new project, you plug this drive and the Camera Archive drive into your computer, create a folder for your new project, start Vegas Pro and use View | Device Explorer to import all of the footage from your Camera Archive drive to your video project folder. Then you can eject the Camera Archive drive and continue editing on the Video Projects drive.

Drive 3: Project Archives
This drive will contain the archive of all of your finished projects. When you are finished with a project, plug this drive into your computer and drag the project folder from the Video Projects drive to this Project Archive drive. You will now have two backups of your footage, one on the original Camera Archives drive and another on this Project Archive drive. You can now delete the project folder from your Video Projects drive knowing that your footage and project are safely backed up. (note: add more drives as needed)

This three drive approach gives you unlimited storage for editing video because you can always add another Camera Archive drive or Project Archive drive as needed and your Video projects drive should never fill up because it's only going to contain the one or two projects that you are currently working on.

I actually use a 4th drive. This is a 12TB RAID 5 that also contains my archived projects. This way I have two backups of the archived projects, one on a single drive and one on the RAID 5. If it isn't backed up twice... it isn't backed up. ;-)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Apr 26, 2015 at 1:29:49 am

One idea I did not see mentioned, is to create XDCAM.MFX proxies of your camera source footage. Point your project file at the proxies, then do the project "save as"-"copy media" check box. Vegas should copy media on the timeline, and smart render trim the media files down to only what is used. Issuing a Tools>Clean Project Media may also keep unnecessary unused media from being copied.

Unfortunately, I tend to create an organized file folder structure for my vegas projects. Vegas, when saving as-copy media just dumps all media into a new single folder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]