FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering long projects on a laptop

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark van der Berg
Rendering long projects on a laptop
on Apr 19, 2015 at 1:17:40 pm

Hey people!

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with rendering long movies (In this case a 106 minute project) on a laptop? It's not that my laptop isn't powerful enough (Intel i7 processor with 8gb of RAM), but that I am afraid of the heat. Does anyone know if this could be harmful to my laptop, or if theres a way to make Sony Vegas render slower to reduce the strain on my machine? Can it be done AT ALL?

I'm running Windows 8.1 if that helps, the project will be in XDCAM EX MP4 which admittely are also ENORMOUS files..
Any help would be appreciated!

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Rendering long projects on a laptop
on Apr 19, 2015 at 7:54:17 pm

Nothing is wrong to do everything on a good laptop Mark.
Laptop is all i use!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Mark van der Berg
on Apr 19, 2015 at 8:00:37 pm

Hey Mark- thanks for the response! One question: is your laptop fine like that without a cooling set or anything?

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Apr 19, 2015 at 8:31:04 pm

Yep! Just an average off the shelf powerful laptop with no
cooling set or anything.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Apr 20, 2015 at 2:16:06 am

If you are worried about heat, and you have an air compressor, blow out the cool fins. Some disassembly may be required, some laptops may not require this. Use a screw driver to hold the fan from spinning to fast. The heat fins inside most laptops look like a clogged dryer lint screen after about 6 months. Doing this every 6 months to a year can improve laptop stability, longevity, and reduce fan noise greatly.

Rendering on a laptop should not be any different than a desktop, only much slower generally.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Apr 20, 2015 at 5:51:06 pm

The laptop most likely has the ability to shut down before it gets hot enough to damage itself. My daughter has a Toshiba laptop that gradually built up dust and would overheat while she was playing World of Warcraft. It would simply shut down, and that told her that it had overheated. It would start again just fine with no evidence of any lasting damage.

Return to posts index

Kevin McCarthy
on Apr 20, 2015 at 7:48:32 pm

I use my laptop at least 90% of the time. It is also an I7 with 8GB and I Have never had a problem with even 3plus hour renders. I do use a cooler fan on all my laptops to off-set any problems.

Return to posts index

David Norman
on May 18, 2015 at 12:20:23 am

i routinely have rendered long projects 90+ minutes. i7 doesnt mean a ton either since there are dual core nad quad core variants, ultra low power i7 and desktop i7 in notebooks.

as for heat it is a non-issue as long as it is not on your lap the whole time, could decrease your ability to have a child :)

i bought a dell xps 15 specifically for rendering since it has a true quadcore i7 while being thin and portable.

best of luck, i do find it challenging to work on projects with 3D plugins and titles without real desktop class horsepower

Dell XPS 15" 9350 i7, 512gb SSD, Nvidia 750m
Intel i7 3930K, R9 290, 32gb, 2xRAID0 Intel 240gb SSD, 2x2TB WD Green, 3x23" Samsung LCDs
http://youtube.com/adidas4275

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]