FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color curves vs. Brightness & Contrast - which is better to brighten a clip up?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seth Kopchu
Color curves vs. Brightness & Contrast - which is better to brighten a clip up?
on Apr 18, 2015 at 11:54:07 pm

The film I'm currently editing has some dark spots that need brightened up. But I want to tread softly - I don't want to brighten up an image and have it look grainy or have any sort of artifacting (or as close as I can get). I want the picture to look as clean as possible, post color-correction and whatever brightening technique I end up using.

Here are some screenshots from my film, untouched in any way. Feel free to use them to show me the differences and what would be better for me to use in Vegas.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Color curves vs. Brightness & Contrast - which is better to brighten a clip up?
on Apr 19, 2015 at 6:05:50 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Apr 19, 2015 at 6:20:16 am

[Seth Kopchu] "The film I'm currently editing has some dark spots that need brightened up."
I went straight to NewBlue's Colofast. It comes with 3 adjustable Levels of Luminance masking:

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
Re: Color curves vs. Brightness & Contrast - which is better to brighten a clip up?
on Apr 19, 2015 at 5:04:41 pm

Yeah but look at how grained up that image is.

Is this something I'm going to have to deal with, no matter the route I take to brighten the image?

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Apr 19, 2015 at 5:17:52 pm

Drop them on a timelime and look at the waveform monitor. The second and third images hardly have anything to work with. The way I see it your choices are to re-shoot with more light or put up with the noise. Sorry :(

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 19, 2015 at 5:54:37 pm

Exactly Mike. I'd like to know the back-story of how our colleague here was "given" what appears to be well sourced and acted content. Interesting.

G

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Apr 19, 2015 at 12:13:21 pm

Since you want to brighten dark spots, I think you want to use color curves. Curves allow you to limit your adjustment to a particular tonal range. You can add nodes on a color curve simply by double clicking. A node will allow you to select a range of tones to be brightened or darkened. Additional nodes will allow you to reduce or eliminate the changes applied to other tones on the scale. The brightness/contrast control does not have this ability and tends to add grain very quickly.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Apr 20, 2015 at 2:30:25 am

google "power windows film grading" you can use a combination of blurs and cookie cutter tool to lighten areas while keeping the other dark areas from graining up to much. Then run the composite through something like Neat.

Mostly you should reshoot that footage, and hire a camera guy that uses lights, fast lens or understands high ISO shooting.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 20, 2015 at 6:04:17 am

[Aaron Star] "Mostly you should reshoot that footage, and hire a camera guy that uses lights, fast lens or understands high ISO shooting."
Yes. Well said Aaron.

Grazie

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Apr 20, 2015 at 5:17:59 pm

Not really. I think a cookie cutter is fixed in place unless you use a lot keyframes to keep it positioned over the area of the video that you want to effect.

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Apr 21, 2015 at 3:41:48 pm

So do you guys suggest that I color correct first, then go in and adjust the brightness, or do them both at the same time?

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Apr 21, 2015 at 7:43:31 pm
Last Edited By Aaron Star on Apr 21, 2015 at 7:47:07 pm

Color Correcting is the technical act of correcting colors that do not seem to be true for the lighting.

Color Grading is the artistic act of adjusting color and levels to achieve a specific look.

I would do color last, because you tend to impact saturation levels when you apply adjustments to your mids (gamma), highlights (Gain), and Blacks (Offset.) I used to use color curves mainly, then switched a long time ago to using only the Color Corrector plugin.

The Softcon plugin may help that dark flat footage, if you like the look and have time to tinker. you can stack your plugin and change the way Softcon operates by adjusting the color corrector plugin below it.

The cookie cutter windowing is a manual process, but what is wrong with key frames. The best art is not automated, it is a manual labor of passion. I will have 3-4 layers of windows to enhance contrast or improve latitude. If you are doing mainly handheld, you can use something like Blender to track the footage, then apply your window to a track point. There is no auto professional plugin. Plugins like magic bullet are just snake oil, being sold to people that have little creativity or patients to develop their own style.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 21, 2015 at 8:52:53 pm

[Aaron Star] " Plugins like magic bullet are just snake oil, being sold to people that have little creativity or patients to develop their own style."
Well, I use it as it gives me a starting point to develop my own direction. Snake oil? That's a bit harsh. Have you tried it lately Aaron? Here's some of the films: https://www.youtube.com/user/watchredgiantfilms

Grazie

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Apr 22, 2015 at 5:15:26 am

I suppose I owe you all a quick explanation.

My crew and I are on a level of film making where trust has to be held. So when time isn't on your side to check every shot, when you look at your DP and ask how it looks, and he says "Great", you have no choice but to accept that and move on. And then, when you get the footage and look at it, you want to kick yourself in the head.

There were other factors that went into why some of the footage turned out the way it did, but that's neither here nor there for this group.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]