FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ken Burns jitters with Pan/Crop

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Smart
Ken Burns jitters with Pan/Crop
on Apr 16, 2015 at 10:11:40 pm

I've found a few threads on the subject, but no definitive answer:

When using Pan/Crop to employ the Ken Burns effect on my still images, I'm finding the motion not as smooth as I'd hope for.

[I have an example video but it seems to be stuck in Youtube's processing queue atm]

Output template matches project settings, there's no problem there (720p 30fps).

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Ken Burns jitters with Pan/Crop
on Apr 17, 2015 at 1:29:02 am

Is the problem only when you play it on Youtube or does it also show up on the rendered file directly from Vegas when you "play" it using your onboard Media Player? At 30fps you will certainly get judder if your pans are very rapid. I do a lot of animation from stills mostly using Proshow Producer, but always at 60fps. I've found that files that play well on my PC or external media player, are often jittery when uploaded to Youtube or Vimeo, regardless of whether I've rendered and uploaded at 30fps or 60fps. My suspicion is that this is mostly an internet problem. If you right-click when playing a YT video, there is Stats for Nerds, which gives info on frame rate and dropped frames. Since the motion you create from stills is very predictable, any disruption in terms of change of frame rate or dropped frames will be readily seen as a glitch. Anyway, this is just my speculation. Maybe, just a faster internet connection would solve the problem.

wwaag

Return to posts index

David Smart
on Apr 17, 2015 at 2:34:24 am

It's not Youtube. Plays the same way in VLC etc.

Here's an earlier upload. Examples at 52:16, 52:32, 52:40 and 52:52.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Apr 17, 2015 at 3:08:00 am

To me, it looks like your pans are simply too fast, resulting in judder. If you can, try an external media player just to make sure they produce the same effect.

wwaag

Return to posts index

David Smart
on Apr 17, 2015 at 5:06:51 pm

Same in VLC, WMP, etc.

The closest to a solution I've seen in other threads is basically adding motion blur to mask the jerkiness. It's amazing that Vegas doesn't seem able to do what freeware programs like iMovie do without a hiccup.
So now I'm thinking I'll have to rebuild my credits in another program and then reimport it back into my main project.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Apr 17, 2015 at 9:47:22 pm

I took the liberty of downloading your file from YT. When streamed from my PC to a Sony Blu-ray Player, I could just detect judder on the first lower right to upper left pan, none on the next two, and perhaps just a little on the last. There were never any noticeable jumps or jitters, no tearing--just smooth playback. If you're concerned you might back off on the amount of zoom or increase its duration, but really, I think it looks quite good, as is. Any noticeable jumps, jitters or tearing are due to poor PC/internet performance.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Greg Barringer
on Apr 18, 2015 at 3:25:54 pm

Like others have said, you're moving the zoom too fast.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]