FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color correcting in Sony Vegas Pro 13.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seth Kopchu
Color correcting in Sony Vegas Pro 13.
on Apr 16, 2015 at 3:53:39 pm

Hey guys.

I'm moving on to the next phase of my short. I've already cut it together, and now, I'm going to start color correcting.

This has never really been my forte with video editing. Anyone have any tips or tricks on how to make images look as natural as possible? I got some dark looking scenes, and some orange-toned scenes as well. If you guys need snapshots from my film to see what I'm talking about and to further offer advice, I'll provide them as needed and when I'm able, as well as what the graded footage looked like when our original editor cut the film using Apple products (there were creative differences that ended up with the film and all its footage on my lap and hence why I'm cutting in Vegas Pro 13).

You guys have been helpful for me every step of the way so far with this project, and I just want you all to know what a helpful forum you've been for me the past few years.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Color correcting in Sony Vegas Pro 13.
on Apr 16, 2015 at 4:00:32 pm

Yup. Post some samples here alomg with a reference to indicate how you'd like it to appear.

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Apr 16, 2015 at 5:46:17 pm

Here are eight screenshots from the film. The first image is the color corrected footage from our first cut, and the second image is the native footage as I have it now in Vegas. I'll upload some later on if need be.

First images.
Second images.
Third images.
Fourth images.
Fifth images.
Sixth images.
Seventh images.
Eighth images.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 16, 2015 at 6:55:31 pm

O...K... I've got 'em on my VP T/L, what is it you are wanting to happen?

Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 16, 2015 at 7:10:07 pm

Here's one of my treatments using the SONY Colour Corrector:-

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Apr 16, 2015 at 8:14:45 pm

What exact settings did you use in the color corrector to make that image? Screenshot them or whatever. Just something for me to work off of.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 16, 2015 at 8:24:44 pm

Is that the type of correction you're after?

Grazie

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Apr 16, 2015 at 10:01:43 pm

It's a start.

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Apr 17, 2015 at 3:05:11 am

Could you please show me how you did it, perhaps by screenshotting your color correcting settings?

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 17, 2015 at 5:33:34 am

[Seth Kopchu] "ould you please show me how you did it, perhaps by screenshotting your color correcting settings?"
Sure, just woken-up in London (I do have to sleep!). Give me a few minutes, and I'll see what I can post - yes? But essentially are you wanting the result I did, driving the yellowish hue away to get a more neutral balance?

OK, Colour Correction and then Colour Grading is a very wide and can be, if done with a light touch, a very creative and effective way to "influence" the way the "viewer" is engaged with the narrative of the film.

Grazie

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Apr 17, 2015 at 6:32:58 am
Last Edited By Seth Kopchu on Apr 17, 2015 at 6:34:07 am

Yeah - I want to know what settings you used in Vegas Pro 13's color correcting to make the image that you did. Screen caps, whatever. Any way you show me will be appreciated.

Thanks again. I'll be waiting for your reply.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 17, 2015 at 7:04:06 am

NB: This is a very simple approach that'll get you started. I also add controls using the monitoring of the SCOPES, but thhis will get you started - yes?

1] Drag SONY Color Corrector to Clip

2] I use the "Custom Tab" and click on that.

3] The 3 Wheels correspond to the HIGHS - far right; MIDS - centre wheel; LOW - far left these are the blacks

4] First, grab the HIGH Complementary Picker and drag across that which you knew as WHITE.

5] Second, grab the LOW Complementary Picker and drag across that which you knew as BLACK.

6] Thirdly, grab the MID Complementary Picker and drag across that which you knew as GREY or neutral.

As I said, this SHOULD get you going, but please note I have also a range of colour correction and white balance tools which you may also wish to investigate:
* Fred Baumann's White Balance AND Color Match ( most excellent!)

* NewBlue ColorFast - Truly a magnificent Masking Color grading s/w

* Red Giant Magic Bullet Looks.
NB: Colour Grading is both an extensive and intensive study. I have read books; attended seminars and seen many Tutorials.

HTHs

Grazie

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Apr 17, 2015 at 5:10:15 pm

Hey, thank you so much! When I sit down to edit, I'll use this as reference. Do you have an email or something I can use to contact you directly, or is that a burden, which is what I don't want to be to you.

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Apr 17, 2015 at 7:40:44 pm

I'm having a hard time trying to find or make the colors black and gray. You say to drag the circle over but there's nothing to drag it too, dark color wise.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 17, 2015 at 7:55:19 pm

Which sample are you using?

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Apr 17, 2015 at 8:10:26 pm

I'm not sure if I follow - I'm just following the steps you've listed above, and I've run into that snag with finding the dark and mid colors. That is, selecting "Custom" when using Sony Color corrector.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 17, 2015 at 8:15:07 pm

Lol! No, which of YOUR samples have you used?

G

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Apr 17, 2015 at 8:22:14 pm

Gotcha. I'm using the one that you used.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 17, 2015 at 9:17:47 pm

Ok. Tomorrow. Zzzzzzzz z z

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 18, 2015 at 4:50:15 am

In all of this do USE the Eyedropper to establish the "numbers". Do NOT follow by wrote the numbers I have generated otherwise you will not have learnt the value of the eyedropper tool and will get yourself in to a helluva pickle! Also, trading values/numbers here will be both tedious and time consuming for both of us.

Here's the HIGHs. I'm using the background wallpaper or paint. This shows WHITE in another of your samples - yes?:

OK Seth try switching Step 5 for Step 6 - meaning do the MIDs before the LOWs. Here I am choosing that area of mid-tone next to the curtain - do you see?:

And finally the LOWs or Blacks. Here I have chosen the BLACK shirt of the individual:

Remember, in all these cases, click on the colour picker, eye-dropper Icon > move to the area in your Preview you want to USE as the sample Complimentary Colour. hold down the mouse button and "scrub" over that area, keeping to that range that BEST suggests to you what you want.

I do hope that helps you.

Grazie

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Apr 22, 2015 at 5:23:56 am
Last Edited By Seth Kopchu on Apr 22, 2015 at 5:24:29 am

Here is a link to some more screenshots from my film. I'm having a tough time whitening up that van without making everything look blue, because as it is, everything has that orange-tint to it. I want to go for a natural, film-look, something like this:

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
on Apr 16, 2015 at 6:57:26 pm

Davinci Resolve is free for the basic version. It's quite powerful, even for being the free one.

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]