FORUMS: list search recent posts

4K XAVC-I from FS7 crashing in Sony Vegas 13

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Rance
4K XAVC-I from FS7 crashing in Sony Vegas 13
on Apr 3, 2015 at 7:23:53 pm

Hello everyone! I recently shot two spec ads for my portfolio with the Sony FS7. I primarily shot ad #1 in XAVC-I at 4K, and primarily shot ad #2 in XAVC-I in 1080p.

I rendered ad #2 (the 1080p one) in 1080p, MainConcept MP4 in Sony Vegas 13, and everything rendered out fine. However, when rendering ad #1 (the 4K one) in MainConcept MP4 in 1080p, I had several dropped frames and several instances when Vegas just crashed. In the end, I haven't been able to render out a proper video for ad #1, as it keeps crashing or rendering out black/dropped frames all over the place, with my computer's CPU hitting 100% and its RAM hovering between 95% to 100%, just to render out the project.

My computer specs are more than suited to render out 1080p, even with 4K source files. I have 12 GB of RAM, an AMD 3.6 ghz Eight Core CPU, a NVIDIA GTX 750ti GPU with 2 GB of RAM, and a 500gb SSD.

I tried rendering the same XAVC-I 4K files in 1080p in Adobe Premiere and Adobe Media Encoder, and everything rendered out fine, with less than 75% of my CPU and RAM used up to process the files. I also tried rendering out native 5K RED files in Vegas, in 1080p, just to see if it could be a 4K/UHD related problem with my computer, and they rendered out even smoother, with less than 60% of my CPU and RAM used up to render.

Does anyone know what might be causing the problem? I read not too long ago that Vegas 13 has had issues with XAVC footage from Sony-made cameras, but everything I've referenced has mentioned problems relating to XAVC-L, not XAVC-I, and the problems have mainly focused on Vegas 13 being unable to open those files.

If by any chance Vegas 13 can't properly render out the 4K XAVC-I files, is there a lossless codec that any of you can recommend, besides AVI (because of its huge file sizes) that I can re-render the source files with in Adobe Media Encoder. I'm thinking that'll be my only choice, is Vegas 13 continues to fail to render these 4K XAVC-I files.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

- Andy

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
Re: 4K XAVC-I from FS7 crashing in Sony Vegas 13
on Apr 3, 2015 at 10:33:35 pm

Have you tried setting the encode mode to "Render using CUDA if available" mode in the custom render settings?
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Apr 3, 2015 at 10:41:13 pm
Last Edited By Norman Black on Apr 3, 2015 at 10:44:13 pm

Things to try.

Try Sony AVC instead of Mainconcept AVC.
Try without GPU enabled in video prefs.

On the later, even without any effects you are going from 4K to 1080 and thus have interpolation on every frame. I have had one instance of GPU instability with lots of interpolation being done.

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
on Apr 4, 2015 at 5:01:41 pm
Last Edited By Dave Osbun on Apr 4, 2015 at 5:03:13 pm

You stated that your hardware specs are well suited for editing 4K video. Unfortunately, you are mistaken. Your current system hardware is what's causing your issues. You have to have a monster system, including a high-throughput video drive away for the video files. And I don't think your current CPU is anywhere near close enough to handle the job, sadly.

I recently put together a super-high-powered i7 system for a friend of my wife's and she's struggling with editing the footage from her BMPC (she went against my recommendations on what hardware to use for the system).

Dave

Return to posts index

Andy Rance
on Apr 5, 2015 at 3:17:03 am

Russ and Norman, thanks a lot for the tips! I'll go ahead and try them and let you know if they work out.

Dave: you obviously didn't read my full post and jumped to conclusions based on little fact.

#1 - The XAVC-I 4K files play and can be edited perfectly fine on my system, inside Sony Vegas.

#2 - Any other 4K files that I've edited on my system before, inside Sony Vegas, have also never had any playback or editing issues.

#3 - My problem is not 4K editing-related, as your last post implies. It's related to RENDERING a 1080p file - not a 4K one - from 4K XAVC-I source files. And my system specs are way beyond qualified to render 1080p, as you can see.

#4 - I guess you didn't read the part of my post where I mentioned that I RENDERED a 5K RED file perfectly fine in 1080p, yet again torpedoing the idea that my problem has anything to do with my system not being 4K capable or 4K editing ready.

#5 - My system specs meet Sony's own recommendations/requirements for 4K editing.

So, next time, please read my post in its entirety, before you give me an erroneous, unhelpful answer.

Return to posts index

Jane Kong
on Apr 23, 2015 at 5:36:34 am

Have you tried the test yet, because I am eager to know the results, for I am stucking in editing XAVC-l, vegas just keep crashing. So I have to convert them to mpeg before loading into vegas.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Apr 23, 2015 at 6:43:54 am

With a lot of Vegas crashes, one of the first things to try is to disable GPU in your preferences and see if you can render.

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
on Apr 23, 2015 at 6:46:01 pm

I don't recall the original post having this extra information, specifically the RED file info and CPU utilization.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]