FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cannot import/open m4a files in Vegas Pro 13

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Siegel
Cannot import/open m4a files in Vegas Pro 13
on Apr 1, 2015 at 8:20:08 am

System is Win7 Pro running the 64 bit version of Vegas Pro 13.

I was pretty sure that VP13 supported opening m4a files out of the box but Vegas doesn't seem to want to add them to the timeline.

I'm almost 90% positive that I never installed a 3rd party codec pack, but if I did it was when I first installed Win7 and that was about five years ago so I have no clue what I put on the OS back then and I would have thought that installing V13 would have overridden any outdated conflicting codecs for m4a files.

I'm a bit at a loss on this one, I need help. :p

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Cannot import/open m4a files in Vegas Pro 13
on Apr 1, 2015 at 8:51:38 am

have you tried changing the extension to .mp4 from m4a? M4a is a mac thing to visually distinguish between audio and video file (m4v)

Return to posts index

David Siegel
on Apr 1, 2015 at 4:55:32 pm

Yes, I've tried that and unfortunately it didn't work. :(

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Apr 2, 2015 at 8:02:29 am

Is Quicktime installed?
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

David Siegel
on Apr 2, 2015 at 7:03:07 pm

QT isn't installed so I guess that's most likely my issue but it's something I've tried avoiding for as long as possible because I don't want the extra crap it comes with and the stupid service it adds to startup.

Is there a simple QT codec pack that I can install that won't add or mess up my already installed codecs in vegas?

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Apr 2, 2015 at 7:42:04 pm

There is a Quicktime lite version out there but I have Quicktime Pro which has other uses. For instance, if a files opens in Quicktime it can be saved as a reference movie and imported into Vegas without transcoding, a very handy feature. Also the extra stuff can be uninstalled after, I don't recall if there are instal options for Quicktime, but you can use your firewall or antivirus software to stop Apple snooping and or update nonsense. I too refused to install Quicktime for the very reason of extra junk but Apple seems to be more effective than the windows code for .mov files. But that's just my situation.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

David Siegel
on Apr 19, 2015 at 7:18:54 am
Last Edited By David Siegel on Apr 19, 2015 at 8:16:51 am

Sorry for replying with such a delay, I was having some issues irl that I needed to deal with and time just got away from me.

I installed the free QT player from apple and unexpectedly it didn't solve my issue and I still wasn't able to open m4a files in Vegas. MPC can open them, but it's like Win7 doesn't seem to know what to do with m4a files even with QT installed.

I know that the files work in a limited capacity since they play in MPC so I've saved one of my own audio files from one of my youtube videos as an m4a file via a greasemonkey script to see if other people can open them in Vegas. Would you mind seeing if it opens up correctly in Vegas for you?

https://mega.co.nz/#!Nd8SHLDB!PJ0DIzqfNP6dPlVRTHPARF3O8-hxJcgZWjEUqYn6Tg4

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]