FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas 13 + GTX 750 TI + CUDA CORES

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricardo Farah
Sony Vegas 13 + GTX 750 TI + CUDA CORES
on Mar 31, 2015 at 5:09:34 pm

Hello there!

I'm going trough what must be a pain fo everyone: Buy a GPU wich is innfective to render on Vegas, so here is what happens.

Trying to render with CUDA cores makes my CPU going to 100% so it is clearly not making the CUDA cores work, also when i chose "use only CPU" the rendering time is EXACTLY the same. SO i'm 100% sure that is not going any jog to the PCI-E GPU.

I saw in another forum a guy who fixed his problem downloading this CUDA software. If You wanna give it a try here is the link:

https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads

That doesn't worked for me. I'm going home today and verify one last time my bios configurations to see if there is some kind of energy saving or using multiple GPUs. I'm pluging my monitor only on the PCI-E Card. I'm sure that i got a boost on games, time line and effects. But sony vegas is refusing to use CUDA cores to rendering. I will also give it a try to other versions of Sony Vegas.

I just came here to share this case and see if any of You comes with something bright on the head to help me.

Any advance will be posted here. Thanks in adavance.

My specs are on my signature

Intel Core I7-4770
16 GB RAM(15,9 Usable)
GeForce Gtx 750 TI
Asus B85M-E/BR(4Satas R3.0, 2 Satas R2.0)
SSD Kingston 240GB (System and programs)
SSD50GB (Temporary area for capture heavy records)
HD1TB (For all stored Data)
Webcam Logitech C920
Happauge Rocket Capture Card
Windows 8.1 (Always updated)
Sony Vegas 13

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
Re: Sony Vegas 13 + GTX 750 TI + CUDA CORES
on Mar 31, 2015 at 5:38:20 pm

If I remember correctly, Vegas does not use Cuda for rendering at all, it uses OpenCL. AMD Radeon is the card of choice.

Dave

Return to posts index

Ricardo Farah
on Mar 31, 2015 at 5:53:06 pm

Nop, AVC(MP4) (don't remember well the exactly codec) is capable of using the option of "Use CUDA if avaiable", "Use CL if avaiable" and "Use CPU only".

Also there is a tab on the codec where the codec verifies if Your card have CUDA, and it says "CUDA Avaiable" after clicking on "Check"

Intel Core I7-4770
16 GB RAM(15,9 Usable)
GeForce Gtx 750 TI
Webcam Logitech C920
Sony Vegas 13

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Mar 31, 2015 at 6:58:27 pm
Last Edited By Norman Black on Mar 31, 2015 at 7:00:08 pm

You did not mention which render as file encoder you were trying to use. Only a couple support GPU at all. Mainconcept AVC does not support newer GPUs like yours and will not use it and will fall back to only using CPU.

Vegas itself will use your GPU for generating the video stream with your effects, transitions and such which your video pref GPU option is enabled. This always happens. Playback or encoding a file. How much this amounts to depends on what you are doing on your timeline. The old Vegas GPU demo project used lots of effects and compositing.

Only a couple of file encoders support GPU and they have their own independent options to enable/disable GPU usage. Mainconcept AVC and Sony AVC. Sony AVC does not use the GPU for much and there is not much of a performance gain.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Farah
on Mar 31, 2015 at 7:43:03 pm

I was using the AVC/AAC (MP4) with the option of render using CUDA.

It takes 18seconds to render 5 seconds of vídeo without any effect. This is ridiculous. I refuse to give up to it. My card isn't even that new.......

2 hours rendering with 100% CPU is gona kill my computer imaturally.

I see a lot of people complaining about models not working to render on vegas.

There isn't any version of vegas or anything in this world that can handle this?

I see i'm going to adobe premiere soon.....

Intel Core I7-4770
16 GB RAM(15,9 Usable)
GeForce Gtx 750 TI
Webcam Logitech C920
Sony Vegas 13

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Mar 31, 2015 at 8:24:46 pm

[Ricardo Farah] "I was using the AVC/AAC (MP4) with the option of render using CUDA."

This states nothing. As I previously stated there are two (2) AVC encoders in Vegas. Taking a guess, it sounds like you were using Mainconcept AVC.

[Ricardo Farah] "It takes 18seconds to render 5 seconds of vídeo without any effect. This is ridiculous. I refuse to give up to it. My card isn't even that new......."

Mainconcept AVC only supports up to Fermi architectures. Yours is Maxwell. Which is two architectures post Fermi. Kepler is in between.

Of the AVC encoders in Vegas, Sony AVC is twice as fast as Mainconcept when running on CPU. An external encoder like x264 is much faster than either of the above.

[Ricardo Farah] "2 hours rendering with 100% CPU is gona kill my computer imaturally."

Unlikely, assuming you have appropriate cooling, but do what you feel is necessary for you.

[Ricardo Farah] "I see i'm going to adobe premiere soon....."

Bye

Return to posts index

Ricardo Farah
on Apr 1, 2015 at 1:10:36 am

Do You know if there is any other format that Vegas can Output using CUDA on my architeture?

Intel Core I7-4770
16 GB RAM(15,9 Usable)
GeForce Gtx 750 TI
Webcam Logitech C920
Sony Vegas 13

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
on Mar 31, 2015 at 10:47:00 pm

Something's possibly not right with your system. I have an i5 3570k (not over clocked), a Radeon HD 7850 graphics card and 16gb RAM and when I use the MainConcept 1080 for internet render option, my render times are close to 1:1 (a one minute clip takes about 1 min 15 sec to render). My original footage is Sony MTS files 24mb/s and my render options are almost the same data rate as the original clips.

Davè

Return to posts index

Ricardo Farah
on Apr 1, 2015 at 1:09:05 am

No...there isn't.....i have been able to play games on high graphics and preview on vegas but when it comes to render my CPU takes it all.

Everything is OK.

Intel Core I7-4770
16 GB RAM(15,9 Usable)
GeForce Gtx 750 TI
Webcam Logitech C920
Sony Vegas 13

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Apr 1, 2015 at 6:56:43 am

Here is a clue: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7764/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-ti-and-gtx-75...

Sony listed the HD5770 as minimum back in on Vegas 11. Your card is well below that card with OpenCL performance, and latest cards like the r9 290x are so far past the 5770 its not even funny.

Your CPU with intel quick sync enabled would be a faster render than the GPU. That GPU is just not that great. Just edit CPU with that configuration.

Also what is your source media? There is no 60FPS, there is 59.94. So unless your source material is actually recorded true 60fps, you will be doing some conversion which will be slowing your renders down.

Not exactly sure how NVidia gets away with advertising OpenCL support when its all so bad. I think they must have a qualification driver set, then gimp the production driver to steer people at CUDA. AMD and NVidia play a mean shell game.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Farah
on Apr 1, 2015 at 8:21:05 pm

I don't think OpenCL have to be something with this. There is a option to use OpenCL too.

I'm recording from a webcam AND capturing my gameplay via Shadow Play of NVDIA wich i have the options of 30 or 60 FPS. I did not veryfied if the files are actually at 59,(floating something) neither that it would cause such delay on rendering. I will verify that later, but i don't think it will save as much as if sony vegas got able to use my CUDAs.

Sorry about the english.

Intel Core I7-4770
16 GB RAM(15,9 Usable)
GeForce Gtx 750 TI
Webcam Logitech C920
Sony Vegas 13

Return to posts index

Ricardo Farah
on Apr 1, 2015 at 8:23:36 pm

About the link You sent, it would be very interesting if at last my GPU was being used. I'm pretty sure i hasn't gained any gain on rendering performance afeter upgrading to 16 GB RAM and installing my GPU. Ony games and time line of vegas got upgraded.

Intel Core I7-4770
16 GB RAM(15,9 Usable)
GeForce Gtx 750 TI
Webcam Logitech C920
Sony Vegas 13

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Apr 1, 2015 at 3:16:47 pm

As others have suggested, Main Concept AVC won't support any new GPUs. Yes, it will claim to use OpenCL or CUDA, but it's kind of bypassing the whole point of those systems, and hard-coding for specific GPUs. If you have any GPU made much after 2010, you're SOL -- it probably would work without their GPU check, but they simple disable GPU rendering for any GPU not on the list.

Vegas does use OpenCL to accelerate its internal rendering. That's not going to prevent your CPU from going to 95-100%, but it does make things faster, both in preview and final rendering. This is not controlled via the rendering plug-in, it's on Video tab of the preferences dialog, look for your OpenCL card being listed there (nVida include OpenCL in their CUDA drivers).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with running a properly designed PC at 100% CPU for hours, days, or even weeks. That's what you want when rendering -- that's the best your PC can do. The only reason using OpenCL or CUDA in a rendering pipeline like Main Concept's doesn't let you PC get to 100% is pipelining inefficiencies... there's plenty of work to do, but without being more multithreaded, the CPU ends up waiting for various GPU tasks to complete, resulting in some "dead time" on the CPU.

A far better way to tell if your GPU is helping out: actually monitor the GPU, don't simply assume it's not doing anything because the CPU is fully occupied. Run something like GPU Shark to monitor GPU activity during a render. It's also quite true that the places that OpenCL is used by Vegas apply to the compositing and plug-in pieces, as mentioned, leaving the format-specific rendering to plug-ins like Main Concept. So if you are simply rendering one format to another without any image processing or compositing, the GPU can't help you a great deal. If you're doing something complex like the old "Red Car Demo", it's going to help quite a bit.

-Dave

Return to posts index

Ricardo Farah
on Apr 1, 2015 at 8:27:15 pm

So it helped....i was testing only without any modifications on the video, just to get the lopping to 5seconds and rendering as to see the time taken.

I will update later with the gpu jobs.

Intel Core I7-4770
16 GB RAM(15,9 Usable)
GeForce Gtx 750 TI
Webcam Logitech C920
Sony Vegas 13

Return to posts index

Surya Prihadi
on Jun 6, 2015 at 4:36:32 pm

Hi Ricardo,

I want to share my findings, which I found by accident.
I know this is an old thread, but I hope you can be assisted.

I too have a GTX750 Ti, but my primary GPU is GTX 580.

To cut the story short and for MainConcept AVC GPU assist.
First you go to here :

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?ForumID=4&Messag...

Look at Oldsmoke post on upsizing the OpenCL memory. Use 1,536 is enough.

You must use NVIDIA driver no newer than 331.65 ( only this 331.65 I tried work ) for the GTX750 Ti to work its GPU for Vegas Pro. However this driver, if you use a software which can read GPU models, will read GTX750 Ti as just a graphic card. Don't ask me why it is so, me don't know.

It is true that Vegas only love Fermi based Nvidia, like GTX570 and GTX580, and with those cards and suitable driver and older Vegas Pro like VP11 or VP12, the GPU assist is fantastic....however, once you use newer Nvidia driver than 331.65, the GPU assist will simply died down to such percentage or speed which will make u pissed.

GTX 750 Ti is actually Maxwell based GPU ( newest architecture ) and 1 generation down Kepler ones like GTX660Ti or the like, will not work well with Vegas Pro GPU assist..... unlike the 2 generation down Fermi based one GTX 570 or 580. This is why I said I found this out by accident as I would never imagine Maxwell based Nvidia will work on Vegas Pro as well as older Fermi ones.

I have 2 of GTX980 Vnidia sitting useless now...LOL, because minimum driver is way too new for my GTX580 to use its GPU in Vegas Pro. So driver is very important.

GTX750 Ti will not throttled itself like a GTX580 would in Vegas Pro, if both are using most suitable Nvidia driver for Vegas Pro. GTX580 is still my choice. However based on my test with 331.65 and that OpenCL memory size increased to 1,536 and Mainconcept AVC.....the 750 Ti can assist up to approx 24% GPU load for GH-4 3840 x 2160 MOV file of 25FPS, choosing CUDA option. If using Sony official test video, that red mercedes covertible, GPU load can be up to 40% for Mainconcept AVC and CPU load 55ish% ( i7 3930K 6 core ). However on XD CAM 1440p x 1080, GTX 750Ti does not assist at all, but a GTX580 will throttle up to 75%.

My suggestion is to google Oldsmoke ( user name ) in Sony Creative forums.
He is experiment king.
This will be good reading too :
http://www.hyperactivemusic.com/vegaspro/vegaspro.html

I am in my own dillema too. I love VP because it is so easy to use.
However with 4K now, I want newer Nvidia card with Display Port and 4K/60Hz ready for video not games, hence I have 2 x GTX980 ...BUT newer Nvidia driver kill the GTX580 GPU assist capability, while new GTX980 is useless for Vegas Pro GPU assist hardware wise and will not work with older Nvidia driver software wise. So its bad luck for me ... LOL.

Good luck trying out.

PS
If you are using MainConcept very often and heavily relying on it , get a used GTX580, it is worth the investment and it will work with your GTX 750 Ti. If u have both GTX 750 Ti and GTX 580, appoint GTX750 Ti as the card of choice in Vegas Pro ( I place my GTX750 Ti in 1st PCIE slot, nearest to CPU ) and when rendering using MainConcept and CUDA, both will work up to 40% for GTX 750Ti and 50-70%ish for GTX580 and CPU 55%ish. This dual working GPU load, I do not get from my older GTX650 ( Kepler based ), even with older Nvidia driver.

That Sony red car project, I can do Internet 1080P Mainconcept in 45 seconds and the XDCam one in 47 seconds with i7 3930K 6-core 48GB RAM and only mild overclock by Asus software to 3.5Ghz ( stock is 3.2Ghz ). Remember Nvidia driver 331.65 only and appoint GTX 750 Ti as GPU of choice in Vegas Pro.

Later....
SP

Return to posts index

Ricardo Farah
on Jun 8, 2015 at 2:41:32 pm

Surya Prihadi I really appreciate Your time for making this post.

It was indeed old but I still have the same problem. I alread got used with it.

Latelly i have not the time to record and work on my videos and even less to see try those things as I don't have sufficient income to work at home yet.

Also as a gamer, I came plenty use of the SHADOW PLAY functionality that cames with the drivers so I think i can't do that driver downgrade.

But I hope this helps somebody out there.

My only salvation is a workaround from sony it self(a miracle :D)

But thank You again.

Intel Core I7-4770
16 GB RAM(15,9 Usable)
GeForce Gtx 750 TI
Webcam Logitech C920
Sony Vegas 13

Return to posts index

Jorge Talamantes
on Jun 7, 2015 at 12:38:57 am

Hi, Sony Vegas I known to to work nice only with the 500 series noida Gpu cards

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>