FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dolby Digital AC-3 Pro vs Sony Wave 64 (*.w64)

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Prisby
Dolby Digital AC-3 Pro vs Sony Wave 64 (*.w64)
on Mar 31, 2015 at 3:17:15 pm

For all of my past SD projects I always rendered the audio using Dolby Digital AC-3 Pro but now that I'm learning about rendering HD projects I find some people recommending rendering the audio using Sony Wave 64. Which is considered better for HD audio and why?

Thanks for your reply,
Jim

Intel 2.67GHz Core2 Quad CPU.
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GForce GTX 570 superclocked
Windows 7 64bit

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Dolby Digital AC-3 Pro vs Sony Wave 64 (*.w64)
on Apr 1, 2015 at 8:13:10 am
Last Edited By Aaron Star on Apr 1, 2015 at 8:42:42 am

https://www.custcenter.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/918/~/what-is-wave64%3F

It was just the way they address the container, so that you can have a very large file size. The recording format you put inside it is what matters. When you can record 192Khz@24bits, the file sizes climb fast.

AC3 is a delivery format specializing in compression, multi-track delivery, and tops out at 48Khz sample rate. Basically just another audio format that specifically licensed by Dolby Labs, mainly marketing designed to ride on THX and theater sound format PR.

Unless you are referring to 32FP or 64FP(double precision) audio. With Floating Point Audio in .w64, you get 32 channels, and the audio is written in a format that does not have the range limits that 16-24bit audio does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_bit_depth

Return to posts index

Jim Prisby
Re: Dolby Digital AC-3 Pro vs Sony Wave 64 (*.w64)
on Apr 2, 2015 at 2:47:11 am

Thanks, Aaron, for the explanation. Looks like I'll be sticking with DD AC-3 Pro.

Jim

Intel 2.67GHz Core2 Quad CPU.
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GForce GTX 570 superclocked
Windows 7 64bit

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]