FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resample

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joao Souza
Resample
on Mar 28, 2015 at 3:14:37 am

I watched a bunch of videos saying disabling resample makes Vegas renders really faster.
I tried it and but nothing changed.
What's resample and does it have anything to do with rendering speed?
Thanks.

We have so much time and so little to do! / Willy Wonka

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Resample
on Mar 28, 2015 at 7:27:41 am

[Joao Souza] "What's resample and does it have anything to do with rendering speed?"
If your Event doesn't match your Project Properties FPS, then this will do the math for you when it is being rendered.
[Joao Souza] "I tried it and but nothing changed."
If your Event FPS DOES match your Properties then there is no math to be done. BUT, what about Fades, Time Stretching of the Event, . . . and so on? How do you really know that in those circumstances that there is NOT a need to be re-sampled? How are you monitoring or registering that NOTHING, as you say, has changed?

I often use TWIXTOR. This amazing s/w needs to be in charge and handle all the changes of inter-frame creation, and as such requires that Vegas' re-sampling IS disabled.

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Joao Souza
on Mar 28, 2015 at 9:37:47 am
Last Edited By Joao Souza on Mar 28, 2015 at 9:39:54 am

[Graham Bernard] "How are you monitoring or registering that NOTHING, as you say, has changed?"

I'm talking about render speed so the answer is obvious, I rendered the same project but with resample disabled in all files and rendering time was the same as when it was enabled.
I always create videos and images that fit my project properties.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Mar 28, 2015 at 11:13:51 am

[Joao Souza] "I'm talking about render speed so the answer is obvious,"
As I know a little about Re-sampling, it is NOT obvious to me that your understanding of the process was close to mine.

If you are using a controlled experiment and one of those controls is exactly the factor you are using as a control, all you have proved is that the control behaves the same, you have no idea just WHAT is happening. And more to the point, you are proving that the one thing you wish to prove - resampling/disabling resampling is ineffectual - is not showing you anything at all. So that it is why I went to the lengths to ask you just how you were monitoring.

Resampling is a hangover from the days of needing to bring together lower fps to that which were needing to be rendered together at a higher fps.

The decision to invoke resampling or not to invoke resampling (disabling resampling)can really come down to our post-render viewing of the footage. Enable it if disable makes motion look jumpy/jerky. However, if enabling exhibit ghost images, THEN disable it.

And, as I said, this takes maths to do. And THAT increases render times.

HTHs

Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Joao Souza
on Mar 28, 2015 at 11:25:05 am

Yes it's obvious.
I asked about rendering speed and if rendering with resample enabled/disabled results in the same time, it means nothing changed, resampling wasn't affecting render speed.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Mar 28, 2015 at 1:35:44 pm

Sorry, but it is not obvious. If you disable a setting and do not take the time to view the rendered result in a fair amount of detail, you have proved nothing. There could be many explanations for why your observation of the render time is that the time has not changed.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Mar 28, 2015 at 1:38:25 pm

Thanks Bob. Maybe Joao will listen to you. I did try.

Cheers

Grazie

Return to posts index

Joao Souza
on Mar 28, 2015 at 1:51:35 pm
Last Edited By Joao Souza on Mar 28, 2015 at 1:53:07 pm

[Bob Peterson] "Sorry, but it is not obvious. If you disable a setting and do not take the time to view the rendered result in a fair amount of detail, you have proved nothing"

Who told you I didn't take the time to view the rendered result in a fair amount of detail?
I said I rendered the same video and got the same results and specially(as I'm asking about it) rendering time was the same.
If you render the same video two times and got the same result, obviously whatever you changed didn't affect their results, that's pretty obvious.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Mar 28, 2015 at 2:46:35 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Mar 28, 2015 at 2:49:39 pm

[Joao Souza] "If you render the same video two times and got the same result, obviously whatever you changed didn't affect their results, that's pretty obvious."
Yes, but it doesn't tell you why there was no change so you don't have enough information to draw an accurate conclusion.

If someone told you that disabling resample would improve render speed they didn't give you the whole story which is why you saw no change.

Resample only comes into play if the frame rate of your source video does not match the frame rate of your target render. If they match, no resampling is done which is why there was no change in your measured time.

If your frame rates do not match, and resample is enabled (the default), then Vegas Pro will blend frames to create new ones. Blending frames is an extra render step which takes some time so logically the render should take longer. How much time blending takes is probably proportionate to how powerful your CPU is.

Bottom line: (which is what I believe Graham and Bob are getting at) is that disabling resample when your frame rates match will have absolutely no affect on render times... which is what you observed.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Joao Souza
on Mar 28, 2015 at 3:02:52 pm

Yes John I got that but that sounded so obvious at least to me, probably not to them.
So when somebody makes a video saying disabling resample will make vegas render faster, they should say it will only work if your file(s) doesn't match your project settings, if they do match like mine, nothing will change.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Mar 28, 2015 at 7:31:01 pm

[Joao Souza] "So when somebody makes a video saying disabling resample will make vegas render faster, they should say it will only work if your file(s) doesn't match your project settings, if they do match like mine, nothing will change."
Yes, the exactly what they should say. Then they should add, "...and your rendered video may look choppy and unwatchable so was it really worth quickly rendering unwatchable video?" ;-)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]