FORUMS: list search recent posts

Danger: It's Easy to Overwrite Entire Project

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Perez
Danger: It's Easy to Overwrite Entire Project
on Mar 21, 2015 at 3:07:30 pm

I wanted to take away events and save the project with a new name, but i accidentally saved with the current name, thus overwriting my original project. Is there anyway to go back in time to that earlier state? (Luckily it only happened to a simple title sequence)

As always thanks so much to you guys...Johnny In Orlando

Return to posts index

John Perez
Re: Danger: It's Easy to Overwrite Entire Project
on Mar 21, 2015 at 3:29:00 pm

The way to do this is to make the first change and at that point save to new name; right?

Return to posts index

Kelly Griffin
on Mar 21, 2015 at 4:19:12 pm

I'd say the safest way to do it is save with a new name before you make ANY changes.

--Kelly

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Mar 21, 2015 at 5:31:54 pm

I use the incremental Emergency Save by Edward Troxel. Setup by the user, for user-determined time intervals it will save on each interval to a new TIME coded name so I always have 5 descreet VEGGIES. It has been a life-saver for me.

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Mar 21, 2015 at 6:52:41 pm

[John Perez] "Is there anyway to go back in time to that earlier state?"

Vegas does save BAK files with the VEG so if you realize your mistake after the save and before the next you can get back to the previous save.

Return to posts index

Paul Belter
on Mar 22, 2015 at 8:53:58 am

what r u people talking about? bak is overwritten while saving the original. there is no way going back with the original file but.... :)
go to
C:\Users\USERNAME GOES HERE\AppData\Local\Sony\Vegas Pro\VERSION NUMBER GOES HERE

you will find there autosaves as well as restored projects - auto-made by sv after crash. there is no original name of the project but look for date modified and you are home.

saved me a lot of time many times

in internal preferences you can also set a time in miliseconds for SV to make an autosave.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Mar 22, 2015 at 10:09:40 am

[Paul Belter] "what r u people talking about?"
A little harsh?

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Greg Barringer
on Mar 22, 2015 at 12:03:27 pm

I know this doesn't help the OP but Windows needs something like Apple Time Machine.
Time Machine is part of the OS. It saves files as you work. You can go back in time and restore files anywhere from a few minutes to a few months. Right now, I can go back to Mid January.

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Mar 22, 2015 at 12:14:36 pm

Windows 8 File History

Return to posts index

Paul Belter
on Mar 22, 2015 at 12:24:35 pm

no offence but i don't like things that replace my thinking processes. why the hell would i go back with anything to mid-january. i save a project, i have autosaves, i have backup copies. when i prepare new versions i make new projects. when i mistake, i go back to autosave and that is the answer to the original question - go to a folder i mentioned and look for autosaves.

by the way windows already has this time machine, it is called system restore or something like that. it makes a restoring points over time in a routine of my choice plus important system events. if i had it set to on i could actually go back to 2013 or any moment i started the system. but i am not using it. actually i prefer to strain my brain remembering to do things, so hopefully it would work more efficient when i am old :D

Return to posts index

Greg Barringer
on Mar 22, 2015 at 1:15:55 pm

Why go back? I rarely ever do. I've used it once or twice to restore something I deleted like a vacation list

Return to posts index

John Perez
on Mar 22, 2015 at 1:59:58 pm

Ok save to new name before ANY changes. thanks for all the ideas and insights. I just happen to be absent-minded sometimes.

Return to posts index

Edward Troxel
on Mar 24, 2015 at 1:11:40 am

If you've only saved once with the mistake, the "BAK" file should still be the previous version. When saving, here's what happens:

1. The current file is renamed to the .BAK file
2. The file is now saved as a VEG

The BAK file should always be one version behind to help recover in situations such as this.

Edward Troxel

Return to posts index

Maxim Vegen
on Jul 23, 2015 at 2:17:36 pm

how do you find the bak file on a mac?

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Mar 22, 2015 at 2:37:43 pm

I hate to say this, but this is Computer Use 100. When you finish for a day, you BACK UP your veg file. You also BACK UP any other file that you altered during the day. Perhaps, you edited your source audio file. You can then recover from this kind of error. I hate to have to redo my work.

I routinely back up both the veg and the bak file.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Jul 23, 2015 at 9:22:06 pm

I always save any changes to a new name .veg file. I searched my computer for .bak files and found none. I have autosave checked in my preferences too. So I did some experimenting with VP13. I made a .veg file and saved it to a new folder. At that time, the new folder only shows the one saved .veg file. I opened it and made some changes and used ctl/s to save it, not with a new name. Then the folder shows a .veg and a .veg.bak of that .veg file. I then opened the .veg.bak file with VP13 and it was one save behind. So Edward Troxel is correct here.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]