FORUMS: list search recent posts

MXF files not importing into Vegas Pro 12 Why?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Bossick
MXF files not importing into Vegas Pro 12 Why?
on Mar 20, 2015 at 1:26:02 am

Hello All!

I just bought a new Panasonic AJ-PX270 camera today. The camera creates .MXF files that Vegas Pro 12 will not recognize. I'm praying I'm not gonna have to convert these files for Vegas to read them? I wanted to drop the files natively into Vegas without any headaches with conversions. Can this be done?

Does anyone know of a solution? I'd sure appreciate one!!

Sincerely!

Shawn.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: MXF files not importing into Vegas Pro 12 Why?
on Mar 20, 2015 at 1:32:19 am

[Shawn Bossick] "I just bought a new Panasonic AJ-PX270 camera today. The camera creates .MXF files that Vegas Pro 12 will not recognize."
Have you download the trial of Vegas Pro 13.0 to see if it can import them? You can't expect old software to support the latest cameras that didn't exist when the software was written.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Shawn Bossick
on Mar 20, 2015 at 2:12:17 am
Last Edited By Shawn Bossick on Mar 20, 2015 at 5:24:37 am

Hello John!

I just installed the Vegas Pro 13 trial version & it would not allow me to import the MXF files. First I tried dragging them in from windows explorer, then I tried the device manager, then I tried to import them through the project media tab, the project media tab did allow me to select the file, which I thought OK, this is gonna import now, but when I clicked open, to import the file, an unspecified error appeared. I have shot many different files & none of them will import, nor can I play the files at all on anything from my computer. VLC said there is not a decoder that will work. I'm on windows 7 64 bit operating system.

I don't know what to do other than to find an answer here, or return the Panasonic AJ-PX270 camera back.

Any help would be very much appreciated! And thank you!!

Shawn.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Mar 20, 2015 at 9:53:28 pm

[Shawn Bossick] "I don't know what to do other than to find an answer here, or return the Panasonic AJ-PX270 camera back."
According to Panasonic:
Panasonic AJ-PX270 supports DV, DVCPRO, and DVCPRO50 as standard for SD records and DVCPRO HD, AVC-Intra 50, AVC-Intra 100 along with the AVC-LongG6, G12, G25 and G50 as standard for HD recoding. For even higher quality recording, the AJ-PX270 supports the visually lossless AVC-Intra 200 codec, as an option for master quality all in one compact handheld camera.
So... what format did you shoot in?

~jr

Return to posts index

Shawn Bossick
on Mar 21, 2015 at 2:27:38 am

Hello John!

The camera does not shoot AVC Intra 50 in 1080 only 720. The only format you can shoot in 1080 is AVC Intra 200 or 100 Long G50 25 or 12. All other formats you mentioned are in 720 or SD. Had the camera been capable of shooting AVC Intra50 in 1080 I would have kept it,I returned it today, but first spoke with Panasonic Tech support to make certain I knew what it could or could not do.

Thank you for the list in your last post, I kept it so when I do find a camera it will be compatible within Vegas!

Thanks for all your help!

Shawn.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Mar 21, 2015 at 11:37:16 am

[Shawn Bossick] "Had the camera been capable of shooting AVC Intra50 in 1080 I would have kept it,I returned it today, but first spoke with Panasonic Tech support to make certain I knew what it could or could not do."
I have a very simple rule that I follow: I use Sony software and I buy Sony cameras and it's funny but everything seems to work. ;-)

~jr

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Mar 20, 2015 at 1:32:35 am

What does the free MediaInfo utility say about these file(s). MXF is a generic container.

I have no direct experience but Vegas does supposedly support P2 series camera MXF files. Are you on the current VP12 build. 770 was the last VP12.

Return to posts index

Shawn Bossick
on Mar 20, 2015 at 2:16:37 am

Hello Norman!

What is the free MediaInfo utility? How would I access this? I just checked my build it's 394.

Thanks!

Shawn.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Mar 20, 2015 at 3:15:59 am
Last Edited By Norman Black on Mar 20, 2015 at 3:19:30 am

[Shawn Bossick] "What is the free MediaInfo utility? How would I access this?"

Google is your friend.

MXF is a generic container. So asking if Vegas supports MXF is not a useful question since Vegas does not support everything out there. Sony says they support Panasonic P2 but your old builod may have bug(s).

You should update to VP12 build 770. No reason to be using an old build.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/updates/vegaspro12

Return to posts index

Shawn Bossick
on Mar 20, 2015 at 5:30:08 am

Hello Norman!

I just downloaded the 770 build. Thank you! No luck though. I also just installed Sony Vegas Pro 13 the trial version, no luck. Vegas will not import the files, nor will anything on my computer play them either. I shot several files & none of them will play, they all play on the camera. VLC said there was no decoder available to play the file?

I don't know what to do other then find the answer here or return the Panasonic AJ-PX270 camera back, BUMMER!

Any help will be very much appreciated! And thank you!!

Shawn.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Mar 20, 2015 at 11:47:48 am

OK, Shawn, I have a Canon XF300. It produces MXF files. These files are deep within the Recorded File Folder structure. I use the Canon Utility to extricate the MXFs from the card. Once I have these I can import them as easy as pie. Now, I CAN import the MXF file from the Folder structure, but I'm wondering if your Pannie has a similar Utility to extricate the MXFs?

But, as you say they play happily in VLC player.

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Shawn Bossick
on Mar 20, 2015 at 3:50:59 pm

Hello Graham!

I think you may have misunderstood ? The MXF files will not play in VLC. When I try to play them in VLC, an error comes up & says there is no decoder to play these files. In fact I cannot get any playback from anything with these files as of now. What am I missing ? I just Googled what a canon utility is. I'm gonna call Panasonic when they open at 9am. I'm hoping I can find a solution here withing the next few hours, or I will have to return the camera later today. I have taken the day off to research, however I do not know where to look other then to call Panasonic.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thank you all!!

Shawn.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Mar 20, 2015 at 4:04:54 pm

Shawn, try Raylight Ultra from dvfilm.com and see if it helps. It's $150 but there is a free trial. Good luck!!

Return to posts index

Shawn Bossick
on Mar 20, 2015 at 4:12:12 pm

Hello Mike!

OK,Thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Mar 25, 2015 at 1:01:38 pm

Sorry for the end result of your experience, i know the frustration
of having a new camera and things just dont work.... Would have been
best to do a quick research before you buy, but it's past that.
Mike's recommendation for Raylight Ultra would be the best guarantee
that things would go smoothly with your workflow.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Jonathan Thomas
on Mar 29, 2015 at 8:19:07 pm

Hey Shawn are you still having problems with MXF files? Please send me a small file less-than 20 seconds.
At FashionTVnetwork@gmail.com. Let me see if I can upload those files.

Return to posts index

Tomek Achtelik
on Jan 6, 2017 at 12:41:59 pm

Hi! ☺

Download K-Lite_Codec_Pack_1275_Full, install it and use Media Player Clasic. It plays .MXF files ☺

Good luck!
T.

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Jan 11, 2017 at 9:28:50 am

Sorry Tomek

Never use third party codecs on your LNE unless you want to muck it up. There are numerous posts on this subject in this forum.

Cheers !

PC Win 7 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 550 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jan 11, 2017 at 9:41:19 am

[Francois Pénzes] "Never use third party codecs on your LNE unless you want to muck it up. There are numerous posts on this subject in this forum."
Yes and double yes. So many experiences concerning CODEC Wars on a PC to make any editor quake. Nasty stuff.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Jan 11, 2017 at 9:55:40 am

I would refine the sentence to use only that specific 3rd party codec, which is really needed.
Other wise agree, espacially codec packs are to be avoided!

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 11, 2017 at 1:05:22 pm

[László Kovács] "I would refine the sentence to use only that specific 3rd party codec, which is really needed."
+1

If you need a codec, find out which one (there are many tools to help you do this) and only install that one codec.

Using a codec pack is like taking every pill in your medicine cabinet hoping one of them will cure you... one might... but the others could kill you. Don't do it!

~jr

http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]