FORUMS: list search recent posts

GPU Error - Reason for error could not be determined

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
shawn steele
GPU Error - Reason for error could not be determined
on Mar 18, 2015 at 3:50:19 am

Sony Vegas 11 - I've been turning off the GPU because if I use it, Vegas blows up immediately with an "unable to render - reason for error could not be determined". (GTX 770). It's annoying because I have to uncheck the checkbox, and presumably it's slower.

I *think* that somehow something else is contesting the device (Windows 8.1), so maybe that's it? Anyone ever get their GPU to work that was seeing this?

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: GPU Error - Reason for error could not be determined
on Mar 18, 2015 at 6:29:35 pm

You can have multiple versions of Vegas installed. Have you tried the trial of Vegas 13, to see if your issues still arise? Also are you using 3rd party effects, or only the Sony plugins? There is no system specs in your post, so its hard to see problem areas that you might try.

You might try the following:

Convert edit media to XDCAM-EX, XDCAM422, HDCAM-SR-LITE(only if you need the 10-bit support), or XAVC-i (list progresses in degree of difficulty for your machine.) Then try and render to SonyAVC.mp4 and MC.mp4 and compare speed differences, making sure GPU is enabled or set to auto in render profile.

Make sure all audio is PCM-uncompressed and not AC3(some camcorders record AVCHD with AC3, converting to xdcam-ex will convert audio to PCM uncompressed.)

Make sure windows is fully updated, and GPU has latest NVidia drivers.

Depending on motherboard manufacture, verify that MB has latest chipset drivers including Storage device controllers.

Use GPU-z to verify that your GPU is interfacing the motherboard at x16 and not something lower.

Use Luxmark v2 benchmark to verify that OpenCL is functioning on your configuration properly. You should be able to select rendering on CPU and GPU or individually.

Try using only Sony GPU capable plugins as a test.

Disable taskbar startup items as many has a possible during testing, including Anti-virus, re-enabling one at a time during testing.

If you are using a really old creative sound card, try removing it and using the motherboard sound card (with latest drivers) as a stability test.

For timelines with >4 video tracks where events all include 3-6 plugins, render CPU only. There are just to many variables to try and troubleshoot.

GPU does work in Vegas, but often times end users DIY hardware configs based on gaming, adobe marketing reasons, or really low end hardware configs from DELL and HP, can lead to problems. I have a theory that Vegas runs best on AMD XT GPU chips like HD5770, 7970, 290x, FPv5800, FPw9000, FPw9100. AMD has the best OpenCL performance which Vegas is using for timeline playback and rendering.

Return to posts index

Greg Barringer
on Mar 21, 2015 at 2:29:28 am

I had a similar problem with a NVIDIA GeForce 680. I upgraded to Vegas Pro 13 and all is well.

Return to posts index

shawn steele
on Mar 21, 2015 at 4:08:47 am

Hmm, cool I guess. I guess it may be time to upgrade.

Return to posts index

Sorin Nicu
on Mar 22, 2015 at 11:44:32 am

Or time to downgrade. Try one of the GTX4xx or GTX5xx series nVidia or, if you want to switch to AMD, HD5xxx or HD6xxx series.
Vegas can't use properly anything newer than that with MainConcept encoders.

Return to posts index

shawn steele
on Mar 22, 2015 at 6:22:14 pm

Vegas can't use stuff newer than that? Or Vegas 11 can't use cards newer than that? Upgrading to 13 would be bad if it couldn't use newer cards.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]