FORUMS: list search recent posts

quality loss in dvd transfer

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greta Cribbs
quality loss in dvd transfer
on Mar 17, 2015 at 5:02:45 pm
Last Edited By Greta Cribbs on Mar 17, 2015 at 5:27:16 pm

I know this question gets asked a lot, but I need to get an answer to my specific situation, so here goes.

I have a Canon XL-1, which shoots great video, but of course it's miniDV, so getting the footage to my computer is troublesome.

I recently finished shooting a new video, and got some really great looking footage. I transferred about half of it via my older computer that has a FireWire port(the computer I use for editing doesn't have one). But then, being an older computer, it started acting up, and I don't think I'm going to be able to use it anymore. So the other half of the video I burned onto dvd, and then used the Sony Vegas tool for importing directly from dvd.

Okay, so, the video I had transferred via FireWire looked great after importing to Vegas, but the video I imported from the dvd looks very pixely. I looked at the original file that was saved on my computer when I pulled it off of the dvd, and it looks fine, it only looks bad in Vegas.

I don't want my final video to be of such bad quality, but I'm running out of options. What are your suggestions? I have downloaded handbrake and am thinking of using that to make another copy of the dvd in hopes of it looking better, but haven't yet. Is that something I should try?

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
Re: quality loss in dvd transfer
on Mar 17, 2015 at 6:13:11 pm

Did you render/convert the DVD to a regular "let's watch a movie DVD", or is it a data DVD, where you saved the video as a data file onto the DVD?

If you converted the video before placing on the DVD, there's your issue.

Dave

Return to posts index

Greta Cribbs
on Mar 17, 2015 at 7:55:16 pm

I transferred it by connecting the camera to my dvd player. That's kind of my only option right now if I can't use FireWire. I don't think there are any options for file type transferring it that way. The only thing I could do would be to choose not to finalize the disc. I'm kind of knew to the technological end of all of this, so I don't know if that would work or not.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Mar 17, 2015 at 10:21:39 pm

Oh man, transferring to a DVD Player not gonna yield anything good.
Might be not what you wanna hear, but you can try getting a IEEE Card
and install it in your computer, they are very cheap!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Greta Cribbs
on Mar 18, 2015 at 11:49:10 am

I actually did install one on the newer computer, but when I plugged the camera in, nothing happened. I don't know what went wrong, I never really investigated it because the older computer was working. So maybe you have some advice about why the new card didn't work?

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Mar 18, 2015 at 11:51:34 pm

Try again and use WinDV to capture the footage from the camcorder
to your desktop. Its a free yet effective tool, that i usually use to
capture my DV Content in the past. Here is the link:
http://windv.mourek.cz/

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here: