FORUMS: list search recent posts

How To Get Best Playback Performance in Vegas

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Bennett
How To Get Best Playback Performance in Vegas
on Mar 15, 2015 at 8:07:37 pm

I've been using Vegas since VP8. My previous NLE provided me with 100% realtime playback to external studio monitors where I could see what was in focus, check transitions and VFX and adjust proper color. Moving to Vegas I use the Vegas Preview Monitor to preview all my shots and edits. The problem is, the MP has many quality settings for playback. The best being BEST FULL. But this only plays back in realtime if I only have 1 video track. Add 2 tracks or any FX and it can drop down to 1-frame ever few seconds. I often edit 2 to 4 cameras and really need a good playback option. I usually have the GPU turned off inside Vegas.

Of course I edit with any FX off until render time but the play back is the worst if accuracy is a factor in your productions.

Question is, what are the best best settings in V12 to provide the best playback images for the Preview Monitor?

My system:
WIN 7 64bit
Intel i7-3930K CPU @ 3.2GH
32GB RAM
Q4000 graphics card
Ausu P9X79WS mobo
2 Dell 23" LED monitors
8 internal HDD Seagate Barricuda 7200rmp
2 external WD 9TB RAIDs

Thanks for any feedback.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures
Capturing Your Life's Adventures!

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: How To Get Best Playback Performance in Vegas
on Mar 15, 2015 at 8:14:16 pm

Just to compare like for like, what was you previous NLE?

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Mar 15, 2015 at 8:27:09 pm

That would have been NewTek's VideoToaster SpeedEDIT.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Mar 15, 2015 at 11:31:07 pm

Did that NLE do any background prerender for your previewing?

Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Mar 16, 2015 at 2:58:57 am

It constantly is in the render mode so everything seems to be real time during play back. That was then. This is now. I know there are a bunch of setting within Vegas. I just want to know what is best for multitrack editing.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Mar 16, 2015 at 6:35:26 am

Vegas doesn't do that by default. However you can manually Prerender; build RAM Previews; reduce the Preview quality either manually or set the Preview to select it for you; I've manually set my nVidia driver to accept VP13 and use the GPU acceleration. Other choices can include auditing the type, amount and which FXs are truly CPU/GPU demanding.

If I've missed something I'm sure others will chip in.

Vegas requires us to be more proactive than other NLEs when it comes to getting better FPS.

Grazie

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Mar 16, 2015 at 9:37:12 pm

I would turn the GPU back on for one, and make sure your GPU is running x16 speed with GPU-z.

You did not say what your format is that you are trying to edit. Vegas will offer the best playback speeds with .MXF container, and in my experience with Sony Codecs. Run your tests with camera master footage vs. .MXF-XDCAM-EX/422, HDCAM-SR-422 or Lite, or XAVC, then compare the performance with AVC.mov or dnxhd.mov. You should see that you can apply more effects or cross fades with .mfx/sony project.

NVIDIA does not perform as well with OpenCL calculations compared to AMD cards.

Most editing can be done in Preview half or quarter (for really complex timelines), then switch to Best full to see "results" or Shift+M for preview build of a region. Output rendering will give full results.

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Mar 16, 2015 at 9:57:18 pm

Most of my format is AVCHD or M2T from my Sony cams. My GoPros give me MP4 files and my DSLRs give me MOV file.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Mar 17, 2015 at 12:42:00 am

I would batch render all your media to xdcam-ex with a profile that matches the input media. You definitely want to get out of the .M2T wrapper. This can done by importing media with the device explorer windows, or making sure the segments are aligned with no gaps on the timeline.

Try a test project with this workflow and compare the timeline playback difference.

I made a post on batch rendering large amounts of timeline clips, where the region name gets use as the output filename. It is a pretty simple process of copying the original filename to region name in the edit details window. Then batch rendering your camera media to .mxf/xdcam-ex

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?MessageID=862462

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Mar 17, 2015 at 1:45:33 am

Be sure to enable your GPU and all the threads. Also, right click on your media and go to switches then disable resampling.
Vegas sets this automatically, I didn't know that and once I do this my preview is MUCH better! Also, I am not sure how the speed of the Quadro 4000 is these days in comparison to newer cards. I am using an AMD 6870 for an i7 Haswell and an AMD 7950 on a 12 core mac pro in bootcamp and get decent preview on the i7 and GREAT playback on the Mac Pro
Also, you could use Avidemux to re-mux the media to a better editing format.

Good luck!

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]