FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas 3 way color corrector weirdness vs classic lift-gamma-gain

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zele Makko
Sony Vegas 3 way color corrector weirdness vs classic lift-gamma-gain
on Mar 14, 2015 at 2:21:34 pm

This test is purely technical. It has zero aesthetic value and not intended for discussing whether orange-teal color grading is right or wrong. This is solely for investigating math behind the color wheels.

Here's the original picture of a model.

Now I apply Magic Bullet Looks with Colorista 3 way that has highlights pulled all the way to yellow and shadows to blue. The model's face got jaundice but blacks in the BG are still blacks.

Now I do the same thing with Sony Vegas's built it 3 way color corrector. All blacks suddenly turn blue.

To investigate the problem I've generated a simple linear gradient in SV.

Now I apply MBL Colorista 3 way with the same extreme orange-teal preset. Look at the graphs. They're completely linear. This is how the classic lift-gamma-gain CC affects the RGB channels. All linear.

And now here is what SV 3 way color corrector does to the gradient:

What the heck is that?

The test was done in SV 12 but I noticed that blacks turing blue behavior in previous versions as well. So it's not a bug it's rather the way Sony sees CC.

The question is what 3rd party effect can I use to have classic linear 3 way CC in SV? MBL is pricey, slow and has awkward interface. Anything else? I know that one can technically do the same thing with Color Curves but I just want those good old color wheels.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Sony Vegas 3 way color corrector weirdness vs classic lift-gamma-gain
on Mar 14, 2015 at 9:26:30 pm

Is the outside slider for the Magic Bullet corrector set like for like with Sony's? It looks like the Highlight slider is applying a warm tone, and the shadow a muted tone. I have not really use the MB corrector before.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]