FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with rendering

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Smith
Problem with rendering
on Mar 14, 2015 at 1:27:25 am

I'm not a super advanced user, but I know my way around the program pretty well.
My problem is pretty simple, but I have no idea what causes it.
Basically, when I render, the adjustments to the offset and gain are bypassed for some reason. The color correction is still there, but not the offset and gain.
I tried moving my master video track FX to the single video track to see if that worked. It did not.

I saved a screencap of the video straight from the preview window (seen on the right), and then put it side-by-side with the rendered product (left).

Any solutions? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Problem with rendering
on Mar 14, 2015 at 7:55:34 am

[Daniel Smith] "Any solutions?"
Yes. - Do NOT use the Vegas Preview Screen to Colour Correct or most importantly here, to gauge/control LEVELS. Use a completely EXTERNAL Monitor, correctly calibrated and apply the correct "downstream" LEVEL default.

There is NO quick fix for this. None. This has taken me years to appreciate - oh yes.....

OK, you say that the colour correction is holding, I disagree. Look at the guy's skin, it's blueish, so are the shorts. I'm not saying this to be tough on you, but this indicates that there is much more going on (or rather not) than you/we would have first thought.

What I've done is to "split" your side-by-side PNG to get these assembled on my Timeline to get a better look at at just maybe going on. I've done this to READ the Waveforms in the SCOPES just to give some numbers to what IS being seen from within that Vegas PREVIEW:-

1] The GOOD sample has crushed blacks. See the RED line I made.

2] You say: [Daniel Smith] "The color correction is still there" However the skin is bluish in left hand side.

3] The guy's shorts on the right are bluish.

4] The right hand side has less shirt detail.

OK, this was a very rough, initial scoping to make a sampling/observations of your PNG.

Here is the Correction for OUTPUT as seen back in the Vegas Preview. It is still somewhat wanting (LOL!):-

And HERE is what that same Media looks like after capturing a STILL from the External Monitor using MS PrintScreen. Do use a properly calibrated monitor to view this last capture, otherwise my feeble attempt will still look either saturated or desaturated:-

Do NOT use the internal Vegas Preview as THE way to colour or Levels Correct. However, DO use the Internal Scopes in conjunction with the Internal Preview to get a PRE FX and POST FX monitor. And THIS is just where Vegas scores over other NLEs.

I do hope this post may entice you to take your colour correcting and monitoring further!

Cheers

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Daniel Smith
on Mar 14, 2015 at 8:05:28 am

Well thanks for such a detailed reply. I really do appreciate it.

However, a few hours later into research, I discovered the real problem.

Both images in my PNG are color corrected. I thought the offset/gain adjustments were missing but they were not.
It turns out that it has to do with rendering in MP4. For some reason this over does the contrast and various other things upon rendering.

I can reply to a few things though.
I'm no pro, so I'll admit my camera white balance was a little off by a small amount of kelvin. This didn't hinder the look I was going for though.
I used to have an external monitor but it broke and I haven't had enough projects to make me invest in a new one. This is just one of many hobbies.

Anyway, the real problem was rendering in MP4/AVC/Main Concept.
I had to render in WMV, which I don't like because the file sizes are way bigger. Do you have any knowledge of this issue? I never found a real solution.

Thanks! I feel bad but I really do appreciate the effort you put into helping me.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Mar 14, 2015 at 9:12:11 am

[Daniel Smith] "Both images in my PNG are color corrected. I thought the offset/gain adjustments were missing but they were not.
It turns out that it has to do with rendering in MP4. For some reason this over does the contrast and various other things upon rendering."
The first part of your statement, I'd like to follow up. However, rendering to SOME MP4 formats will stretch the LEVELS. You have to be precise as to what MP4 you render to.

All of this makes sense - sure. However, not appreciating the LEVELS workflow from Camera Capture >>> to Importation into Vegas to >>>> Monitoring INTERNALLY or EXTERNALLY still holds true. Understanding all of this will make your/our Video-lives better. Not having an external Monitor will be a continual brake on your output. Continuing to use the Vegas Internal Preview will lead you astray. But, maybe not now.

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm sure others reading this will benefit - I do hope so.

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]