FORUMS: list search recent posts

Production Assistant 2 Question

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Cobble
Production Assistant 2 Question
on Mar 9, 2015 at 7:56:53 am

Sir John R - Most likely you would be best for this question. I saw on a PA2 training that it can be setup that when you plug in media PA2 will automatically open vegas and populates timeline in clip order. How do I set that up??? to auto do that?
Thank U

PC 1
I7 2.8 Ghz 8GB Ram
Win 7 Pro 64bit OS
PNY Quadro 4000
PC 2
I7 3930K 3.2Ghz
32 GB Ram
Win 7 Pro 64bit OS
PNY Quadro K2000

3-4 TB HD
Vegas 13 & Adobe Production Premium CS6 & Avid Media Composer 5.5

Camera
Sony EX1 shoot in 1920x1080 30P

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Production Assistant 2 Question
on Mar 9, 2015 at 10:34:21 pm

[Don Cobble] "I saw on a PA2 training that it can be setup that when you plug in media PA2 will automatically open vegas and populates timeline in clip order. How do I set that up??? to auto do that?"
Load the stand-alone Production Assistant 2 Launcher application and just minimize it. There may be a switch to enable looking for media (I forget and I'm on my Mac right now and can't bring it up to look at it (sorry)) This will keep the launcher running in the background. Then pop a media card into your computer and it should jump to life and prompt you to load the media and launch Vegas Pro. Check the Users's Guide to be sure.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Don Cobble
on Mar 9, 2015 at 11:48:14 pm

Thank You John - One more question please- I got PA2 to open and then it does open Vegas 13 but it is (Not auto populating the timeline) it just brings media in to project folder.
Do I have to build a template first?
I am watching Douglas S and his demo seemed to make a demo timeline automatically, maybe it was template he prepared ahead of time?

PC 1
I7 2.8 Ghz 8GB Ram
Win 7 Pro 64bit OS
PNY Quadro 4000
PC 2
I7 3930K 3.2Ghz
32 GB Ram
Win 7 Pro 64bit OS
PNY Quadro K2000

3-4 TB HD

Camera

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Mar 10, 2015 at 4:38:14 am

[Don Cobble] "Do I have to build a template first? "
Yes, and you must do that with the Template Builder tool which is new in Production Assistant 2.0. Check out the User's Guide on how to use it. I don't think we made any videos of it.
[Don Cobble] "I am watching Douglas S and his demo seemed to make a demo timeline automatically, maybe it was template he prepared ahead of time?"
Douglas' training was all done with Production Assistant 1.0 and templates where totally redesigned in version 2.0 to be much more powerful so his tutorial is not the way it's done in Production Assistant 2.0. I thought we had done some video training but I can't seem to find it anywhere (sorry).

First you make a template while insider Vegas Pro with the Template Builder and you save that. Then the template show up in the Launcher and it allows you to map assets to the template slugs. This is how PA knows what asset to use with which slug. You can also use a repeating slug and have it just fill the timeline with the media that is passed in. Try playing with the existing templates that it ships with to see how it's done.

~jr

Return to posts index

Don Cobble
on Mar 10, 2015 at 7:06:31 pm

Thank You John - grateful for your help - by the way i have read the manual on this - I think you VASST-ites (those who write manuals) assume an inherent skill level of all who get your software. VASST needs to write as though someone knows nothing about the program. Remember DOS for Dummies :-)
Thanks Again
Don

PC 1
I7 2.8 Ghz 8GB Ram
Win 7 Pro 64bit OS
PNY Quadro 4000
PC 2
I7 3930K 3.2Ghz
32 GB Ram
Win 7 Pro 64bit OS
PNY Quadro K2000

3-4 TB HD

Camera

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Mar 10, 2015 at 8:27:35 pm

What wasn't clear in the manual? Which were bad assumptions? I'd like to improve on it if we can.

~jr

Return to posts index

Don Cobble
on Mar 11, 2015 at 2:52:40 am

[What wasn't clear in the manual? Which were bad assumptions? I'd like to improve on it if we can.]
PA2 Manual:
"It also can sit resident in the system tray and wait until you insert a media card and it will automatically read the media card and copy the files to your project folder for you." Page 5

HOW to get it to sit resident in system tray waiting on my media?
In order for PA2 to launch automatically you will need to .............?
AND
In order for it to automatically populate your timeline you will need an appropriate template. If you do not have a template already prepared, you need to skip ahead to: Page 10 "Creating Templates" After creating your template, choose your template and then load PA2 into your system tray and it will automatically open PA2 and then automatically open Vegas and populate your timeline.

Sir John - the Dos for dummies was not sarcasm - I am a teacher and many of the courses I teach I use that
"........ for Dummies" to introduce new material.
I know you use a MAC now. Part of S Jobs genius (that gets little attention) was not just great hardware and software design - but He understood the need of making HIS Hardware & Software as painlessly as possible for it to be YOUR Hardware and Software - When People found Apple was committed to customers quick integration in Apples world - (because S Jobs made that possible)- the rest is history.

The beginning of the MAC cult, committed customers. He was a JeanYUS! :-) I am not speaking of Vasst - but many Software companies today take the approach - Our stuff is so good we trust you buy it from us, then comb the internet to find out how to use it. ..........NOT!
There are Good Ones out there also.
Thank You
Don

PC 1
I7 2.8 Ghz 8GB Ram
Win 7 Pro 64bit OS
PNY Quadro 4000
PC 2
I7 3930K 3.2Ghz
32 GB Ram
Win 7 Pro 64bit OS
PNY Quadro K2000