FORUMS: list search recent posts

CPU's and GPU's what is doing what at what stage...?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick McMahon
CPU's and GPU's what is doing what at what stage...?
on Mar 8, 2015 at 1:02:53 pm

When I have a project open and bring clips into the timeline to edit and then preview my edit, I assume the CPU is working to produce the preview unless I choose to select GPU acceleration in preferences...?

If I select the GPU acceleration is the GPU assising the CPU or is it pure GPU..? And does that depend on the quality setting in the preview menu..?

Ultimately, how does one get the absolute best playback framerate in the timeline without using a dynamic RAM preview (understanding that any fx will cause framerate to drop of course)...?

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

Sorin Nicu
Re: CPU's and GPU's what is doing what at what stage...?
on Mar 8, 2015 at 3:14:07 pm

You can use GPU-Z utility to monitor the GPU usage in real time.

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Mar 8, 2015 at 4:10:36 pm

[Sorin Nicu] "You can use GPU-Z utility to monitor the GPU usage in real time."

Excellent... CPU-Z also..? so side by side you can then perform any Vegas task and see exactly what is working.

This of course will produce data and I assume that can be diagnosed by someone with the right skills) to work out how improvements can be made...?

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

Sorin Nicu
on Mar 8, 2015 at 6:00:51 pm
Last Edited By Sorin Nicu on Mar 8, 2015 at 6:02:02 pm

Well, CPUZ doesn't show utilization.
I use for that Windows' "Resource Monitor" - it shows CPU, memory, HDD utilization and combined with GPU-Z can pinpoint to the system bottleneck. Type in the Search field: Resource Monitor

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Mar 8, 2015 at 6:18:09 pm
Last Edited By Nick McMahon on Mar 9, 2015 at 11:51:39 am

Thanks... I'll test that combination of resources... then I envisage the interpretation of data involves a whole new skillset

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Mar 8, 2015 at 7:58:28 pm

Vegas uses the GPU for video effects, transitions and compositing/blending of multiple tracks.

All else, including decode, should be done by CPU.

The preview mode Quarter, Half, Full determines at what dimensions the video stream is rendered at. Full being full project size. Half being half size. Half size is 1/4 the pixels to be processed per frame. A big savings in compute.

The preview mode for draft, preview, good, best basically turns off certain features. Many of these features may not be applicable to your source media or project settings.

Here is a link with info on this.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/Forums/ShowMessage.asp?Forum=4&MessageI...

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
on Mar 8, 2015 at 10:55:39 pm

Why the fascination with GPU talk? Are you having timeline playback issues with your system? Unless you are editing 4k any well-configured Intel i7 system should play back fine.

Every single post is asking about GPU. Let's move on....

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Mar 9, 2015 at 1:01:30 am

[Dave Osbun] "Every single post is asking about GPU. Let's move on...."

Let's move on...?????... is there a schedule we're following I wasn't aware of...?... and just to clarify every recent post by me over the past few days is asking a different question in relation to graphics processing and how SVP utilises it... let's be precise.

Every question I've asked here has had a wealth of experience based information come in the form of constructive answers and I am thoroughly appreciating those people who take the time to reply. Answers to questions inevitably bring more questions because answers are generally not finite, especially when there are so many variables involved.

Unfortunately... your reply in this instance gives the impression you aren't interested in this subject... but that is not a problem because others are happy to share their knowledge.

If any given subject doesn't float your boat and you don't have anything constructive to say on the topic, it's really simple to avoid saying anything and 'move yourself on' to choose something that appeals to you to pass on your thoughts as constructively as possible. That's what open forums are all about... you can choose what subject you want to discuss (within the realms of relativity obviously)... or not as the case may be. If you don't like what I ask then avoid that question... I promise you I won't lose any sleep whatsoever or think any less of you.

Have a great day.

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Mar 9, 2015 at 3:01:29 am

Nothing is GPU only. The GPU is great at throwing massive processing capacity at compositing, shading, and other things video related. But if you ask the GPU to add 1+1 it's hopelessly lost. Also, the GPU has no connection with the system resources such as RAM and hard-disk except what the CPU told it to use.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Mar 9, 2015 at 3:48:57 am

[Stephen Mann] "But if you ask the GPU to add 1+1 it's hopelessly lost."

Huh? Math is what GPUs do.

[Stephen Mann] "Also, the GPU has no connection with the system resources such as RAM and hard-disk except what the CPU told it to use."

Actually anything on the bus has full access to system ram. One can certainly read/write the HD via GPU but this makes no sense. The CPU is best suited to that task. GPUs are actually slow. The only way they beat a CPU is with seriously parallel algorithms. Photo/video image manipulation (effects etc) have many opportunities for seriously parallel algorithms.

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Mar 9, 2015 at 12:47:57 pm

There's nothing in the GPU API that tells it how to do simple computing, like 1+1. But point it to the data for a series of frames and ask it to compress them into a GOP, then it's right at home. Theoretically faster than the complex CPU.

To the OP - GPU support is an assist. If you have a dual or quad Xeon system, using the GPU actually slows you down because it takes longer for the CPU to tell the GPU what to do than to just do it without the GPU.

In my experience and for the media I work with (HDV), I don't see any significant improvement with GPU support. I do some editing with 4K from my GoPro Hero4, but those projects are so small that any GPU performance increase is negligible.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index

Sorin Nicu
on Mar 9, 2015 at 1:03:44 pm
Last Edited By Sorin Nicu on Mar 9, 2015 at 1:19:26 pm

[Stephen Mann] "There's nothing in the GPU API that tells it how to do simple computing, like 1+1."
You are horrible wrong. The present day GPU's are actually full feature CPU's, with massively parallel cores. They can be programmed in C++ like any CPU, do floating point calculations single or dual precision, used in heavy scientific work...
They are even the base of several of the top supercomputers (nVidia Tesla, AMD).

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Mar 9, 2015 at 1:42:40 pm

I said there's nothing in the GPU API. Not the GPU. The supercomputers using GPU's massive parallel processing don't use the same drivers that are used in video processing.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index

Sorin Nicu
on Mar 9, 2015 at 4:32:06 pm
Last Edited By Sorin Nicu on Mar 9, 2015 at 4:33:33 pm

This is getting to offtopic.
Your information is dated, probably pre-2012. Read more about OpenCL and CUDA API's. They are full blown computing environments, no different that x86 CPU ones, just running on a different processor.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Mar 9, 2015 at 7:39:47 pm

[Stephen Mann] "There's nothing in the GPU API that tells it how to do simple computing, like 1+1. But point it to the data for a series of frames and ask it to compress them into a GOP, then it's right at home. Theoretically faster than the complex CPU."

Wow. Educate yourself please.

Return to posts index

Matt Dunphy
on Mar 26, 2015 at 6:44:02 pm

In 2013, I upgraded to Vegas 12, got a new computer & a video card specifically to utilize GPU-assisted rendering.

In my experience, enabling the GPU actually resulted in slower render times. Whenever effects were being rendered, my CPU's usage would drop from 100% to a fraction of that, presumably having the computer send all the work to the GPU. Maybe it's helpful if you've got an older processor, but ultimately, I felt like I'd blown a couple hundred bucks on an unnecessary video upgrade. Live n' learn.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]