FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with importing footage Vegas Movie Studio 10

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick McKenna
Problem with importing footage Vegas Movie Studio 10
on Mar 7, 2015 at 8:28:37 pm

Okay,
I know that my software is quite dated and my PC and laptop are both in dire need of upgrades (both are over five years old!!). I've been promising myself the past yaer to invest in a proper workstation system for editing, etc.

However, as a favour to a friend at short notice, I was asked to film and edit a school musical. He recommended that I shoot it on two Sony EX1s. I already suffered the problem that the EX1 files don't import into Movie Studio so I converted them into a MPG format that left the files in high quality as the originals (maintaining the same MB/s speed and similar file size). My problem is that these files are of such high quality and size (over 2.5GB in size each) that I can only import one file into Movie Studio, and if I try to import anymore, Movie Studio crashes.

I know what you're gonna say; my system is dated and not up-to-the-task. I know, I know.....maybe with the money from this job, I can invest in a newer faster system. But as I said this job was a favour that was thrown onto my lap at the last minute so I need a quick fix.

However, there is one little thing that might solve my problem (although it'll be very time consuming)... The customer is only looking for a DVD of the musical. So although I have the musical filmed on these massive high quality files, the final outcome on DVD will be of DVD quality, not the HD quality that it was filmed on.

So now my plan is, because I can only import a maximum of one file into each Vegas project on Movie Studio, I can render each file out individually into a smaller file size and speed. Then my system might be able to handle all the newly rendered video files in the one Vegas project. But my question is this - what render setting (or file type) should I use to render each file out to?

I know that this sounds a little desperate and I'm kinda clutching at straws here, but I need a quick fix here.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Problem with importing footage Vegas Movie Studio 10
on Mar 8, 2015 at 12:00:02 am

I would start by rendering them to HDV. This might be an acceptable format to work on your computer. If that's still not editing smoothly then I would render them out to DV widescreen. This will definitely edit smoothly on your old computer with Movie Studio 10.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]