FORUMS: list search recent posts

In what way is SVP13 better than 12

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick McMahon
In what way is SVP13 better than 12
on Mar 7, 2015 at 12:49:56 pm

Easy enough to read the sales hype on the SVP webpage about 13, but I'd like to know from anyone who has used both, especially if there is better timeline GPU acceleration as is claimed in the sales pitch.

GPU acceleration

Better playback, faster renders. Take advantage of the power of the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) found in many of today's most popular video display cards for smoother video playback and faster rendering. Vegas Pro 13 leverages the GPU for video effects, transitions, compositing, pan/crop, track motion, and encoding. An optimized hardware configuration that uses an appropriate GPU device dramatically improves timeline performance. Enjoy higher resolution previews with multiple effects in Vegas Pro 13, and crank encoding speeds up by as much as six times over previous versions to popular formats like AVC. Vegas Pro 13 uses OpenCLâ„¢-supported devices from AMD, NVIDIA, and Intel to unleash your creative vision.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/features

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

Roger Bansemer
Re: In what way is SVP13 better than 12
on Mar 7, 2015 at 1:59:43 pm

I usually upgrade but didn't this time around. For me, it just didn't seem like there was much in the way of features that effected what I do.

Roger Bansemer - PaintingAndTravel.com

Return to posts index

Jay Allen
on Mar 7, 2015 at 3:23:59 pm

One way the SVP13 is better than 12 is if you are charging by the hr, you will make more money with 13.
I went back to 12. Simply put, 12 is faster. I do over 100 videos a year and time is money. The 13 sales pitch is just not correct. Hopefully when 14 comes out, it wont be more of the same, bundled with 3rd party products I already own.

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Mar 7, 2015 at 3:45:56 pm

[Jay Allen] "you will make more money with 13."

I'm guessing you meant to say 12...?

[Jay Allen] "I went back to 12. Simply put, 12 is faster."

I'm going to assume this is using 12 & 13 on the very same machine...?

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

Jay Allen
on Mar 7, 2015 at 3:56:28 pm

just a joke about making more money with 13 because it is slower...if you charge by the hr...13 will take longer.

Yes, i have 12, and 13 on 2 different computers and same results on both systems. 13 is slower

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Mar 7, 2015 at 4:08:17 pm

[Jay Allen] "Yes, i have 12, and 13 on 2 different computers and same results on both systems. 13 is slower"

Thanks for the input Jay... nice to hear from someone who uses Vegas as a tool for editing to make a living... that's priceless real world experience and as such a very valid answer to the question.

Of course basing anything on a single opinion is not sensible so I'll be interested to see if anyone else has the same experience with 12 & 13... again hopefully used with the same hardware to gain a realistic comparison.

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Mar 8, 2015 at 4:37:36 am

I find 13 slightly faster than 12, bit 99% of my work is HDV.
You can keep all prior versions of Vegas on your PC, and they are all fully licensed. If you own a copy of Version 12 and upgrade to 13, your license of Version 12 is still good and transferable. The only difference is that the Version 12 license can only be used for one upgrade. Try that with any other NLE.
I have Version 11 on one laptop that I use as an audio workstation, I have Version 12 and 13 on my editing PC. All legally licensed. Try that with any other NLE.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

Paul Belter
on Mar 8, 2015 at 11:57:27 am

i had both of them and i went back to 12 too. nothing interesting in 13 apart from black frames which 13 is dropping into render

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Mar 10, 2015 at 4:44:28 am

Yes the advertising is for real. I would recommend i7-4xxx+,32GB ram, with hd5770, hd7970, or R9 290x, and make sure you GPU is interfacing at 3.0. But you can see by the picture even i7-gen1 with 5770 can benefit from the GPU acceleration. Vegas 13's OpenCL implementation seems to be only 1.1, so no real need for the latest opencl support other than for speed and other apps. Vegas does not support multi cards like the 7990 or 295x, but you can select one of 2 cards and dedicate one to compute functions and other for display. AMD seems to handle OpenCL better than NVidia in Vegas. I recommend the cards listed because they all run AMD XT chips which seem to have the highest compute ratings over other other AMD chips. The chip in the 290x is the chip in Firepro w9100, minus memory and pro features. Since Vegas operates in 8-bitFP and 32-bitFP modes, making sure your system is not Floating Point gimped would give you the best experience.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]