FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time-stretching a clip... remove jerkiness

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gilles Gagnon
Time-stretching a clip... remove jerkiness
on Mar 2, 2015 at 7:55:59 pm

I have a 30 second clip (stock footage) which I need to time stretch for a church choir presentation.

I need it to be approx 10 minutes. When I time-stretch it (click-shift drag right-edge),

1. It prevents me from time-stretching to the duration I need
2. the resulting clip is very jerky

How can I accomplish this?

Gilles

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
Re: Time-stretching a clip... remove jerkiness
on Mar 3, 2015 at 12:29:36 am

Firstly what is the frame rate of your footage...? unless you shot at a massive frame rate it won't work.

Lets say it is 30 frames per second and you have 30 seconds of footage so 30 x 30 equals 900 frames of total footage and you want to make it last 10 minutes.

10 minutes equals 600 seconds

900 frames divided by 600 seconds equals 1.5 frames per second... that's not just jerky... it's not video... but the reason you are limited in stretching the clip and it's really 'jerky' is because the more you stretch the less frames of footage are in every second and so when it's played back at normal framerate Vegas has to fill in the gaps with nothing so Vegas gets to a maximum point and says 'sorry that's as far as I'm prepared to go to try and make something that resembles a video out of this'

it's simply not doable.... why not go down to your local church and film for another 9.5 minutes... job done...?

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

Kell Hymer
on Mar 3, 2015 at 2:37:06 am

Or just loop the video by dragging it w/o holding shift.

Current System: Intel i7 4930K OC'd to 4.6 GHz| Asus P9X79 Deluxe | 32GB RAM | AMD R9-290X w/8GB RAM | OCZ Revo 480 GB PCI Express SSD | Windows 7 64 bit | Vegas Pro 12 (64)

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on Mar 3, 2015 at 4:13:02 pm

Thanks for your input Kell/Nick... much appreciated.

@Kell
Looping is not an option as the video in question is a sunrise. It must "rise" during the full 10 minutes.

@Nick
The stock footage of the sunrise is 24fps. I can't go and shoot the video since... as stated above, I'm using a 30s stock video of a sunrise.

Is there no method or workaround, even a non-vegas method, to accomplish this? I was hoping that somehow, the frames could be extrapolated. I know it's asking much but... I'm desperate :)

Cheers,

Gilles

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Mar 3, 2015 at 4:21:38 pm

Try Twixtor or Respeedr...

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Mar 3, 2015 at 10:40:12 pm

[Aleksey Tarasov] "Try Twixtor or Respeedr..."

+1 on this. I have Respeedr.

The OP is looking for a 20x slow down (.5 -> 10). This is asking a lot from any software.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Mar 3, 2015 at 4:31:46 pm

Gilles, have you tried using a Velocity envelope? If my math is correct, you'll need to set it to 5% to stretch 30 seconds to 10 minutes. Experiment with setting the Properties to Smart Resample, Force Resample and Disable Resample to see which one works best for you.
Good luck!!

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on Mar 3, 2015 at 6:06:45 pm

Hey Mike! Long time no see! Thanks for dropping by.

I just tried this and unfortunately, I obtained the same results by doing this. the original clip I'm working from by the way is 25fps. (properties-Media)... if this makes any difference.

Gilles

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Mar 3, 2015 at 6:10:07 pm

Gilles, I haven't seen you on here in a while so I guess that means you're busy which is always a good thing :)
My only other thought is to to render it out as an image sequence and then bring those images back in, holding each one long enough to get you your desired time. Good luck with it!!

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on Mar 3, 2015 at 6:13:40 pm

Yes, been quite busy.
Thanks Mike. I don't think this approach will work either since I believe the images will not be extrapolated either. I think I'll still have jerky motion.

Gilles

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Mar 3, 2015 at 6:47:00 pm

[Gilles Gagnon] " I'm desperate"

Ok Gilles since it's desperate times may I suggest a workflow that sometimes works.
Export as image sequence then import individual frames into media pool select all and drop on timeline. Use crossfade to fade between frames. It will take time to adjust the fades to a level that is acceptable. Experiment with a few frames say 10 or so to get the timing. Also Setting the default import duration may help speed up the process. If you use the method let me know how it works. Also I have Fusion 7 Studio which does a nice job of interpolating frames from seemingly nothing. If the above method does not work out I would be happy to try stretching the file in Fusion for you.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on Mar 3, 2015 at 7:17:12 pm

Thanks Russ!
This is indeed a very kind offer of yours. Thank you.
I'll have a look at the products Aleksey suggested. One is a bit pricey, the other may work...if the client wants to pay for it (tight budget).

I'm going to regroup, look at all my options and perhaps find a different approach. I really thought they'd be a native SVP solution. :(

Thank you all... so far.

Gilles

Return to posts index

Kell Hymer
on Mar 4, 2015 at 6:18:10 am

[Russ Froze] "Export as image sequence then import individual frames into media pool select all and drop on timeline. Use crossfade to fade between frames"

This is what I was thinking as well. However, if the 30 second source video is sped up like a time-lapse, the differences between frames may be significant enough that the crossfades will look...well...like a crossfade. If the video is real time, exporting as images and crossfading them should look great.

Current System: Intel i7 4930K OC'd to 4.6 GHz| Asus P9X79 Deluxe | 32GB RAM | AMD R9-290X w/8GB RAM | OCZ Revo 480 GB PCI Express SSD | Windows 7 64 bit | Vegas Pro 12 (64)

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on Mar 4, 2015 at 12:35:58 pm

Correct Kell... it is a timelapse video.

Gilles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]