FORUMS: list search recent posts

Managing GoPro Fisheye & Stretched Edges

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kell Hymer
Managing GoPro Fisheye & Stretched Edges
on Mar 2, 2015 at 8:21:32 am

Hi All,

I am working with GoPro footage and am trying to understand the best way to clean up the image. Most of my material was shot in 1080p @ 30 or 60 fps. I used GoPro Studio to convert the video to Cineform and to remove the fisheye distortion. The problem I am noticing is that after removing the fisheye, the edges of the video look stretched. Now, I know I am a little over weight, but I am certainly not as fat as I appear when I am in the edge of the frame! I assume that in order to remove the fisheye effect, GoPro Studio has to stretch the edges. Here are my questions:

• What is the most common/best method for fixing stretched edges?

• I can crop the frames, but then my image quality will suffer. Am I better off shooting in 2.7K from now on? Or do Sony Vegas & NewBlueFX plug-ins offer a tool to fix the stretching?

• Is GoPro Studio the best choice for removing fisheye distortion or can Sony Vegas or NewBlueFX plug-ins do it better with less stretching in the edges?

• From what I have read, shooting in the medium FOV will have less fisheye distortion, but image quality may suffer somewhat. What are the best FOV and resolution settings on the GoPro to minimize the fisheye effect? I would also like to avoid a rolling shutter so I am guessing 2.7k@60fps is best? I have the Hero 3 Black and Hero 4 Black.

• Thanks!

Current System: Intel i7 4930K OC'd to 4.6 GHz| Asus P9X79 Deluxe | 32GB RAM | AMD R9-290X w/8GB RAM | OCZ Revo 480 GB PCI Express SSD | Windows 7 64 bit | Vegas Pro 12 (64)

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
    Re: Managing GoPro Fisheye & Stretched Edges
    on Mar 2, 2015 at 9:30:15 am

I use a stand-alone application - Defishr. I am satisfied with the result.

Return to posts index

Kell Hymer
    on Mar 3, 2015 at 1:34:37 am

[Aleksey Tarasov] "I use a stand-alone application - Defishr. I am satisfied with the result."

Do you get any stretching at the edges?

Current System: Intel i7 4930K OC'd to 4.6 GHz| Asus P9X79 Deluxe | 32GB RAM | AMD R9-290X w/8GB RAM | OCZ Revo 480 GB PCI Express SSD | Windows 7 64 bit | Vegas Pro 12 (64)

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
    on Mar 2, 2015 at 10:57:21 am

Kell.... Abe Kislevitz does a great Blog on GoPro settings.... he's officially employed by GoPro to review and I think I read somewhere he has a post grad degree in photographics so sometimes he uses language you may need to look up but he knows the cameras inside out.

http://abekislevitz.com/author/abekislevitz/

Also I have one of these Ribcage Gopro lens mount mod kits on order. This mod kit allows you to use any c or cs mount lens and really open up your gopro to get rid of fisheye distortion altogether. Not expensive especially if you do the mod yourself.

http://www.back-bone.ca/

cheers

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

Kell Hymer
    on Mar 3, 2015 at 1:39:24 am

[Nick McMahon] "Also I have one of these Ribcage Gopro lens mount mod kits on order. This mod kit allows you to use any c or cs mount lens and really open up your gopro to get rid of fisheye distortion altogether. Not expensive especially if you do the mod yourself.
    "

Thanks Nick. That looks like an awesome product. Down the road I may do that with an extra GoPro. However, I still need to use all of the accessories, mounts, and sometimes I want the fisheye effect.

I am curious how others compensate for the stretched edges after fisheye removal. It does appear that shooting in 2.7K at 60fps will be the best bet if the lighting is good. That way I can crop as needed and I should not have bad rolling shutter problems. 2.7K just eats up data fast....especially once converted to Cineform. I think I'm going to need a pair of 6TB HDDs!

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
    on Mar 4, 2015 at 1:11:34 pm

[Kell Hymer] "2.7K just eats up data fast....especially once converted to Cineform. I think I'm going to need a pair of 6TB HDDs!"

I just read the Hero 4 BLK has a recent update which gives it 720 @240fps... and the 2.7k @60... that sure will give you some massive files in cineform but as you say the freedom to crop out any fisheye edge distortion you don't like.

I don't yet have a Hero 4... I like to wait my time with new edition's of the Gopro and let other people find the bugs instead... and the price come down.

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

Norman Black
    on Mar 3, 2015 at 8:46:56 pm

I use Medium FOV and don't bother with removing lens distortion. It is low enough in that mode. You should not see any loss in resolution.

My biggest reason for using Medium is that Wide is just too wide. Everything gets too small unless you are right on top of it.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
    on Apr 29, 2015 at 5:24:41 pm

4K only lets you shoot in wide.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
    on Apr 29, 2015 at 5:22:45 pm

I just got the Hero 4 black. I experienced the same side stretch problem with Go-pro studio. So I played around with Vegas's deform video effect. I made a real quick comparison video on the results you can see here. Sorry about the mic noise. I used a lav and held it in my hand. Didn't want to remake it. LOL

Return to posts index

Kell Hymer
    on May 20, 2015 at 4:22:25 am

[Danny Hays] "I just got the Hero 4 black. I experienced the same side stretch problem with Go-pro studio. So I played around with Vegas's deform video effect. I made a real quick comparison video on the results you can see here. Sorry about the mic noise. I used a lav and held it in my hand. Didn't want to remake it. LOL
    "

This is awesome. Thanks for posting! I converted over 12 hours of video to Cineform, most of it with GoPro's fisheye removal checked. Have you tried cropping the GoPro fisheye removed video once in Vegas? I am curious if the effect is the same. I'd rather nor re-transcode my source material. I may try it but am curious if you have already done so.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
    on Jun 29, 2015 at 10:42:15 pm

Sorry for the delay. Once the fisheye removal tool is applied to the videos in gopro studio, the side stretch damage is done. I don't know how to fix that.
    If you still have the originals, Here's a start out preset for wide setting. All three, wide, med, and narrow settings on the camera have some amount of fisheye effect. The best way is to shoot a short video or even a pic of a grid with the camera exactly perpendicular to the center of the grid with the grid filling the screen, in wide, med and narrow. Then import each into Vegas and start with the preset in the pics. One pic shows what's happening to the shape of the shot. Then use the track motion to zoom in until the black inward bow effects are cropped out. save each setting in the deform effect as wide, med and narrow.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
    on Jun 29, 2015 at 10:48:52 pm
    Last Edited By Danny Hays on Jun 29, 2015 at 10:49:42 pm

Here's some preset pics

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]