FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ultimate S vs. Excalibur vs. Vegasaur

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Rizzo
Ultimate S vs. Excalibur vs. Vegasaur
on Feb 28, 2015 at 4:54:21 pm

Hi Everyone. I've been using Vegas since 8. After some new research in whether to stay with Vegas or switch to Premiere or Media Composer, I think I'm staying w Vegas and upgrading to 13 now that's it's has a newer update (I don't use v1's) I'm stilling wondering about at least getting a subscription to AVID (Media Composer) since the compatibility may be nice as my business is getting my busier. With the new 13, I'm really excited on the iPad app. Anyone using that? Easy to setup? Seems pretty cool.

Beyond all that, I'm curious as to user feedback on Ultimate S vs. Excalibur vs. Vegasaur add-ons. I REALLY need to improve the efficiency of my workflow with all the work coming in. Thanks for all the help! ~ Michael

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Ultimate S vs. Excalibur vs. Vegasaur
on Feb 28, 2015 at 6:10:56 pm

[Michael Rizzo] "I'm curious as to user feedback on Ultimate S vs. Excalibur vs. Vegasaur add-ons. I REALLY need to improve the efficiency of my workflow with all the work coming in."
I developed Ultimate S Pro but I'll try and be as objective as possible. So this is not "user" feedback as I am one of the authors:

Ultimate S Pro has the most functionality but it also has the highest price. In addition to productivity tools it contains two complete Photo Montage tools, content like Lower Thirds, Film Looks, Audio Presets that use a licensed iZotope plug-in for correcting common problems (you get the plug-in as part of Ultimate S Pro). All in all it has 15 tabs of functionality ( Photo Montage | MotoFoto | Editing Tools | Markers | Film Looks | Audio Tools | Visual Effects | Quad-Cam | Lower Thirds | Special FX | DVD | Render | Audit | Setup | Project)

We (VASST) realized that if you only need one of these tools, it's kind hard to justify buying the whole suite so we came up with our FASST Apps. These are the same functions found in Ultimate S Pro for $9.95 each. This way if you only need Marker Tools, or Edit Tools, or Lower Thirds, you can buy them separately and only pay for what you need. You should check those out.

Excalibur has 12 tabs of functions (Multi-Cam I Cameras | Timeline | Velocity/Duration | Events | PIP/Twirls | Video Effects | Audio | Repair/Maintenance | Assets | Properties | Quick Label) Many of these are the same as in Ultimate S Pro but it doesn't have film looks, lower thirds, auto tools, etc. But the price is also lower to reflect this. It does have a Quick Label tool that Ultimate S Pro does not have and I believe it has face recognition for creating photo montages which is kind of nice.

Vegasaur has 6 categories of tools (Editing | Effects | Project | Render | Timeline | Tools) with many of them having the same set of productivity tools, but none of the film looks, lower thirds, auto tools, etc. which they sell separately. You will find a lot of similarity between Vegasaur and Ultimate S Pro. It seems that a lot of the ideas were taken directly from us without even changing the UI much.

I'm sure that authors of those programs can wax more poetically about what they have than I can. You should download the trial of all three and see which one fits your workflow best. If you just want a tool for a particular job or are on a budget, check out the VASST FASST Apps.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

David Eon
on Mar 1, 2015 at 12:10:12 am
Last Edited By David Eon on Mar 1, 2015 at 2:13:24 am

I very much recommend the Ultimate S batch render feature and Project Folder import feature but I also use the Vegasaur Quick Properties feature daily (specifically to extend the length of events to the next closest marker). The marker features on Both are very useful and there is a ton of stuff on each that I don't use often but nice to know they're there when I need them. The FASST APPs are great! Thanks John for recommending those.

I haven't used Excaliber but I've seen some of the functions on it are very useful.

I know Vegasaur has a fully functional free trial period so you can test drive it for 15 days before buying. I wouldn't edit without at least one of these tools at my disposal. THEY ARE THAT GOOD!
DavidEon

Return to posts index

Márcio Nascimento
on Mar 11, 2015 at 7:44:31 pm

[John Rofrano] "We (VASST) realized that if you only need one of these tools, it's kind hard to justify buying the whole suite so we came up with our FASST Apps. These are the same functions found in Ultimate S Pro for $9.95 each. This way if you only need Marker Tools, or Edit Tools, or Lower Thirds, you can buy them separately and only pay for what you need. You should check those out."

Hi John!

I have bought the Ultimate S, and really apreciate it! I use it for: remove gaps, adjust transitions, fades, remove/create markers, split audio stereo, calculate DVD Bitrate, and have used too to create some photo montages, but this last is not common for me.
Obviously I did not use many of the features and I lacked knowledge when purchasing full Ultimate S instead of FASST APPs options.

The only two functions that I don´t find in Ultimate S and would use in Vegasaur would be:
1. Place tape name in multiple files (for after syncronize using timecode in Canon 6D putting all the files at the same track)
2. Place the events synchronized with the recording date (because I have cameras that do not have timecode - T2i and T5i)
Does VASST have any FASST APP that has these two functions? If don´t, should you create this?

Another thing that would be very usefull for me is a button: "Select all muted events on this track".

Márcio Nascimento
- Editor, cinegrafista e fotógrafo -

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Mar 1, 2015 at 11:43:33 am

Between Ultimate S Pro and Excalibur I would choose the first one. It seems that Edward Troxel (the author of Excalibur) has long stopped to develop his product (am I wrong?).

Between Ultimate S Pro and Vegasaur I would choose the second one :)
(it's shameless self-promotion since I am the developer of Vegasaur, user testimonials read here)

All products have similar tools, but Vegasaur has many unique features. For example, Text Generation Wizard, Paste Event Attributes, Titles & Text, Tweener, and many many others.

Film Looks and Lower Thirds are sold separately. If you want a unique slideshow, take a look at our templates. We also have a lot of FREEBIES!

Vegasaur has FREE 30-day trial period. Try it and see if it suits your needs.
Best of luck!

Return to posts index

Edward Troxel
on Mar 4, 2015 at 10:48:42 pm

As the author of Excalibur, I have not so much "stopped development of the product" as it is a very mature product at version 6. It is correct that I have not released a new version recently but have made sure that the current version runs fine in current builds of Vegas. Plus, it's compatible all the way back to Vegas Pro 8.

All three products are very capable and you should definitely test them all. Excalibur was the first one ever released. Ultimate S came next and Vegasaur is the last one released. Functionality will overlap a lot between the products but each also has unique features.

As for face detection, that is is the "Montage Magic" plugin that is separate from Excalibur.

Excalibur also has a free trial period.

Edward Troxel

Return to posts index

Michael Rizzo
on Mar 3, 2015 at 12:55:01 am

Thx everyone for chiming in. I think with the Sony Vegas 13 and one of these, I'll have a nice new efficient system for all the video projects at my feet. So much editing to do! Thanks again! :-)

Return to posts index

Rina Sherman
on May 11, 2015 at 7:48:59 pm

Hi to all,
And thank you for the very interesting comparison.
I'm working on a large project, filmed in bits and pieces over more than two years, with recurring characters and events that I need to organize and be able to find quickly. I'm thinking of a marker system in Sony Vegas Pro that one would be able to search with keywords, e.g. Betty CU.

The marker systems described in the three extensions allow export, and hence establishing any kind of key word searchable file (doc, xls, etc.), but would there be away of making clips easy to find through the marker system or another system for that matter?

I would be most grateful for any cues, since I'm at the beginning of editing this vast project, so I need to establish an efficient now.

Rina Sherman
Filmmaker Ethnographer
Paris
rinasherman.com

Rina Sherman
http://www.rinasherman.com

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on May 11, 2015 at 8:17:42 pm

1. Please note that the markers are not attached to the clips - for example, if you change the order of events on the timeline, markers won't follow them...

2. Vegas can easily locate media files by various properties (in Project Media window - Search Media Bins command). Vegas Pro 13 also supports media tags...

3. Here's a similar question - http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?MessageID=924180

Return to posts index

Rina Sherman
on May 11, 2015 at 8:43:05 pm

Thank you for the information, I'm aware of clips and markers not being attached. If I search in media bins, the names of entire clips need to contain the information, so then how do you deal with recurring information such as Betty CU? Metadata tags may be the answer, then. Thank you, Rina
Rina Sherman

Rina Sherman

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]