FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apologies... but how do we message someone direct ?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick McMahon
Apologies... but how do we message someone direct ?
on Feb 28, 2015 at 4:47:24 pm

I would like to ask a community member a question directly... so I figured I'd simply send them a PM like I do on other forums.

Can anyone tell me the secret to sending a message direct to a CC member please...?... I can't see how it's done.

cheers,

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Apologies... but how do we message someone direct ?
on Feb 28, 2015 at 4:55:50 pm

[Nick McMahon] "Can anyone tell me the secret to sending a message direct to a CC member please...?... I can't see how it's done."
I don't believe there is any way to do this. If there is... (an there might be) I haven't figure it out yet. ;-)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Feb 28, 2015 at 5:58:45 pm

[John Rofrano] "I don't believe there is any way to do this. If there is... (an there might be) I haven't figure it out yet. ;-)"

Hmmm... If we're both correct and we can't message on the forum direct then that's... inconvenient..? (About the best way to describe it)

I can't see how it would have been an oversight by the forum hosting platform... but if it wasn't an oversight then it's been intentionally left out... and there really is no reason to do so... after all this is a 'community' by definition aimed at bringing people together.

can we get this changed...?.... anyone know who runs the CC site...?.. are they uncontactable directly like the rest of us...?...lol

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 28, 2015 at 6:13:33 pm

[Nick McMahon] "anyone know who runs the CC site...?"
Hink: Click the Contact Us link and look for the Webmaster. ;-)

~jr

Return to posts index

Stewart Bourke
on Feb 28, 2015 at 6:25:13 pm

surely the point of a forum like this is for everybody to be able to share information? I cannot see the point of PMs in this type of environment....

STBO

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 28, 2015 at 6:30:52 pm

[Stewart Bourke] "surely the point of a forum like this is for everybody to be able to share information? I cannot see the point of PMs in this type of environment."
Two reason's I can think of off the top of my head:
  1. You need to ask a specific question about a clients project that you can't make public
  2. You need to ask something that you are just too embarrassed to admit you don't know in public
I'm sure there are more, but sometimes you just need to as someone something privately.

People contact me via email all the time and if it's something I think the community can benefit from I asked them politely to please ask in the forums and I will answer where everyone can benefit from the answer but there are times when they have a particular question, the details of which cannot be made public.

~jr

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Feb 28, 2015 at 8:45:09 pm

[John Rofrano] "People contact me via email all the time and if it's something I think the community can benefit from I asked them politely to please ask in the forums and I will answer where everyone can benefit from the answer but there are times when they have a particular question, the details of which cannot be made public"

Absolutely.... 100%

Hopefully you'll see this John and I can ask you if you have any experience of rendering using the open source project ffmpeg and frameserver to export...?

Norman Black mentioned that he uses this method and sings it's praises for quality and speed over the standard rendering codecs in SVP... so thought I'd check it out but getting some set-up advice from someone with experience using it seems like the best way forward as it's cross platform but developed in Linux so I'm guessing there's probably things to avoid.

cheers

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Mar 1, 2015 at 5:07:58 am

[Nick McMahon] "I can ask you if you have any experience of rendering using the open source project ffmpeg and frameserver to export...? "
No, I've never used this. I've always been happy with the quality of the renders I get directly out of Vegas Pro so I haven't had the need to resort to frame serving. (sorry)

~jr

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Mar 1, 2015 at 6:32:43 am

And there you have a perfect example where I would benefit from sending a message directly to Norman who mentioned he uses this method.... I guess I'll have to try writing a post and hope it catches his attention

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Mar 1, 2015 at 7:13:11 pm

Here is an example command script I use for frameserving to ffmpeg. It encodes to AVC with x264. x264 is faster than other encoders and also give better quality at the same time. I also have scripts that encode to ProRes. ffmpeg encodes just about anything.

One of these days I will write a utility program with a nice GUI to do this and avoid the separate scripts. For my use it is all just fine.

There are some assumptions in the script. That the output is going to a specific folder and Debugmode Frameserver is using a an AVI signpost file of a given fixed name.

I know about the Handbrake setup someone did. Reading that discussion, I decided to use ffmpeg because it supports frameserver directly without all the psuedo filesystem drivers and it also supports encoding to ProRes, DNxHD, XDCAM and most other things one might possibly desire.

My email address is a gmail address "@gmail.com" and my username is normanpcn. I am more than happy to give you help using ffmpeg frameserving. Then again, as per JR, maybe we could/should create a separate post so all can see it.

start of example script "encode crf25.cmd"

REM @echo off

title encode crf25

cd d:\renders
d:

echo AviSource("server.avi") > server.avs

c:\systools\ffmpeg32\bin\ffmpeg.exe -threads 0 -i server.avs -c:v libx264 -preset medium -profile:v high -me_method umh -crf 25 -colorspace bt709 -color_primaries bt709 -color_trc bt709 -pix_fmt yuv420p -bufsize 40M -maxrate 40M -c:a libmp3lame -qscale:a 2 -chunk_size 64K output.mp4

del server.avs

pause

REM alternate command options
REM -vf scale=out_color_matrix=bt709

REM (mp3 160k vbr) -c:a libmp3lame -qscale:a 4
REM (mp3 192k vbr) -c:a libmp3lame -qscale:a 2
REM (aac 192k vbr) -strict experimental -c:a aac -q:a 2.4
REM (aac 192k) -strict experimental -c:a aac -b:a 192k

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Mar 1, 2015 at 9:57:34 pm

[Norman Black] "Then again, as per JR, maybe we could/should create a separate post so all can see it."

Ah.... you found the question without a separate post.... brilliant.

That script is currently going over my head but I'd like to change that and I've sent you an email with a plan to hopefully get the ball rolling on here for the benefit of anyone else interested.

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Mar 1, 2015 at 4:02:03 pm

[Nick McMahon] "...if you have any experience of rendering using the open source project ffmpeg and frameserver to export...?"

Nick, check out the One-click frameserving from Vegas to Handbrake thread on the Sony Vegas forum. I've been playing with it a bit and it works like a charm!!

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Mar 2, 2015 at 11:36:03 am

Thanks for that Mike...

In terms of quality that your eye can distinguish are you able to say that the handbrake method which you use produces this kind of result...?

I always like the idea of seeking out 'ultimate' and I have a habit of jumping in at the deep end, sometimes I find I have to make my way back to shallower waters so I can stand up, but I do like setting the bar high when challenges come along and I'm still very much a newbie with understanding the various in depth ways in which video can be manipulated inside NLE's.

So of course when anyone suggests that an end result can be bettered and the quality and speed can be increased my radar picks up on it. I'm going to try and work with Norman on here to understand how he frameserves to ffmpeg but first off this seems like a good way to certainly try out Satish's frameserver and ensure it runs on my machine happily. I will certainly try out the set-up for this one click encoding method via Handbrake using the very same debumode frameserver. More choice is always good.

Hope you'll jump in and try out learning some scripting which using Norman's method will take.

cheers

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Mar 3, 2015 at 7:47:27 am

[Nick McMahon] "
So of course when anyone suggests that an end result can be bettered and the quality and speed can be increased my radar picks up on it."
Several times a day I'm using this One-Click method. This script based "GEM " was pulled together by "Marco", from the SCS Vegas Site.

One wrinkle I've read and experienced is the issue that the Handbrake 10.XXXX versions have with auto Unmount back into Vegas. Versions of Handbrake I use are 9.XXXXX . Just thought I should mention this.

Oh yes, while I WAS writing this I got an audible DING from another successful ONE-Click process that concluded while here! The 12 second 23.976fps Event included:

1] Mercalli Rock-Steady Stabilization

2] Heavy Magic Bullet Looks FX treatment

3] Realtime Particle Illusion MATRIX FX

4] A second, chained, realtime Particle Illusion SMOKE and FLAMES

5] Encoded to HandBrake Stock Web Optimized format.

Result took 3 minutes to complete that's a factor of x15 - not too shabby I think.

Understand that all the FXs are:

A] Intensive.

B] Apart from ProDad's interim renderer, none of the FX-ing was rendered until Frameserver served the frames to HandBrake to be rendered.

C] All FX-ing introduced at Event level.

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Mar 4, 2015 at 9:30:41 pm

Thanks for that Grazie.... it's on my list for exploration as a possible once I've got this new machine up and running how I want.

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Feb 28, 2015 at 7:31:13 pm

[Stewart Bourke] " I cannot see the point of PMs in this type of environment...."

Hi Stewart...

The point is simply CHOICE... there are a myriad of different reasons why you may wish to contact a member directly and I cannot see how it would in any way detract from the open debate and question answering that happens within the forum.

If anything it opens a currently closed door and I'm all for opening doors.... :-)

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

Joao Souza
on Feb 28, 2015 at 9:06:41 pm

You're kidding right?
Yes forums are for everybody to be able to share information BUT making friends is a huge part of it too.
Sometimes you meet somebody who share the same ideas, or he has the same job or you realized he knows stuff you want to learn..............that's why PMs are for.
This forum always looked really strange to me, all phpBB and vBulletin forums I've been allow to send PMs so you can make personal friends and not only speak in public, that's how life is, you choose friends then share your life with them and vice-verse.

We have so much time and so little to do! / Willy Wonka

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
on Mar 2, 2015 at 3:49:19 pm

Personally, I am glad there is no way to DM other members on this board. Having topics/questions out in the open is best for all, since many of us (myself included) read probably every thread, to learn new things.

On another message board (not related to video editing) some people consider my an expert on the topics we discuss (auto-related) and at times I get bombarded with questions via DM, and I never have enough time to read them all, let alone answer them all. I don't like ignoring people, since that can be kind of rude, but a message board is there for a reason!

Dave

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Mar 2, 2015 at 5:43:09 pm

[Dave Osbun] " and at times I get bombarded with questions via DM, and I never have enough time to read them all, let alone answer them all. "

Good point Dave.... However....It surely wouldn't be difficult to have the choice to turn off personal messaging if you'd rather not have it.... Choice equals control and I like being in control.

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]