FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best rendering template for BMPCC ProResHQ files?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TonyBR Osse
Best rendering template for BMPCC ProResHQ files?
on Feb 27, 2015 at 2:37:16 am

Hello,

I recently bought a BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera in order to get better quality films. If I understood well, the ProResHQ 135mbps 10bit 422 files I´m shooting are MUCH better (resolution, color, range etc) than my good old avchd files from my SonyNX70.

Well, now I have these huge ProRes (.mov) files entering my VegasPro12 timeline, a process that runs quite smoothly... I run my editing, aply corrections easily etc.

And THEN comes rendering!!! My questions is: what is the best rendering template that I can customize to get the best results from these super-duper files??? Let´s say I don´t have any problem with HDD space and that I don´t care about time too... I´m looking for the best result possible from my editing.

What do you use or recomend??

From my recent tests, allowing CUDA help rendering is bad (my nice Quadro GC was a waste??) and letting a variable mbps between 50Kmbps and 135K mbps is good.

What else??? Thanks a LOT,

TonyBR

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
Re: Best rendering template for BMPCC ProResHQ files?
on Feb 27, 2015 at 1:15:40 pm

It all depends on what the final destination will be. Broadcast? Bluray? Etc....

Return to posts index

TonyBR Osse
on Feb 27, 2015 at 6:48:53 pm

Oh yes, of course it depends on final intended use.

I didn´t mean YT or Vimeo use, but the best image quality possible in order to justify the capture in such huge files... Kind of fine HD broadcast or a festival screening, although within the limitations (?) of Vegas Pro...

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 28, 2015 at 4:08:29 pm

[TonyBR Osse] "I didn´t mean YT or Vimeo use, but the best image quality possible in order to justify the capture in such huge files... Kind of fine HD broadcast or a festival screening, although within the limitations (?) of Vegas Pro..."
Since you are on a PC and can't render them back to the original Apple ProRes 422, your next best format would be to render them to Avid DNxHD 220 10-bit. Then when you want to send them to a festival, you ask them what format they want and then you render to that format from the DNxHD files and send it to them. This will keep your original high quality as best as you can.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

TonyBR Osse
on Feb 28, 2015 at 4:35:59 pm

Hi John, thanks a lot for your reply. I´ve been doing my homework ( :) )and found your great tutorials on creating the DNx templates to Vegas. Guess they are the closest we can get to original files at Vegas/PC... Any special setting for a "BMPCC template" you can imagine?

Thanks again and best wishes from Brazil,

Tony

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 28, 2015 at 4:53:36 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Feb 28, 2015 at 4:54:02 pm

[TonyBR Osse] "Any special setting for a "BMPCC template" you can imagine? "
There are a variety of formats in the DNxHD codec. I'm not familiar with that camera but just select a format that's matches what the camera shoots.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Steven Broido
on Mar 1, 2015 at 6:43:10 am

Seen a few threads about optimal rendering settings and had a few quick thoughts to share:

1) Both AvidDNxHD and PROres are fantastic codecs. I understand them to basically be interchangeable in terms of quality. Can't go wrong either way. I like DNxHD for how PC friendly it is for output.
2) Perspective is everything. We shoot on FS-700s and FS-100s. In AVCHD. Files are 28 mb/s. Look pretty good. Not great for heavy grading.... But not too shabby. 220 mb/s is around 10X that size. We'd love to shoot with a better codec. On Atomos devices or the like. But if you shoot a lot. And render a lot. PROres and DNxHD can be MASSIVE files to be storing and moving around.
3) When critical, shoot in the highest quality you can
4) Save your masters. You can always re-render.
5) Never worry that you rendered something wrong. Play with the render settings.... Tweak and create templates and tweak some more and see where you can tell the difference.
6) Look up any term in a render setting you don't understand. There's a lot to know :)
7) Keep learning and stay curious!

S

Return to posts index

TonyBR Osse
on Mar 1, 2015 at 1:26:44 pm

All great points Steve! Thanks. I agree that AVCHD is enough for almost any use we have these days (mostly internet?). Shooting huge ProResHQ files (in an amateur world - that is my case) seems a bit excessive for sure. But I guess that it fullfils our "demanding spirits for better images" :) On the other hand, I´m experiencing that old feeling we used to have while shooting real film (yup, I'm over 50y), I mean, having to plan better BEFORE pressing the red button in order to not produce a big waste (time/space in the digital era!).

Curiosity and Playing are the key words for rendering, definitelly! :) Thanks again, Tony

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]