FORUMS: list search recent posts

.mxf file not opening in Sony Vegas Pro 13.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seth Kopchu
.mxf file not opening in Sony Vegas Pro 13.
on Feb 26, 2015 at 6:13:29 pm

I used Adobe Media Encoder to both rewrap and re-encode a ALC1-H.264 .mov file into .mxf, and it's not opening in Vegas. Any ideas or suggestions on how to fix this? I want to edit in .mxf to make my life easier, but, damn, this whole process (if you've been seeing my frequent posting on this forum in the past few days) is starting to become a chore, which I naturally expected. I was just told that .mxf will open in Vegas, and here I am, looking at a .mxf that won't open.

Do I need a codec or something? Anything? Stumped on this one.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: .mxf file not opening in Sony Vegas Pro 13.
on Feb 26, 2015 at 8:08:17 pm

Seth, I just ran a DVCPRO HD mov file through Media Encoder and it worked for me in Pro 10 and 12.
I tried both the XDCAM EX 35 NTSC 60i and XDCAM HD 35 NTSC 60i templates and both were fine.

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Feb 26, 2015 at 10:13:40 pm

Mike, I don't know. I'm just gonna stick with the program you sent me to earlier, as that re-wraps the footage and doesn't give me any issues as well as no gen loss. Plus it works.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Feb 27, 2015 at 1:20:18 pm

Seth, sticking with what works is always a good idea!!

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Feb 27, 2015 at 5:09:40 pm

Mike,

Believe it or not, I'm having a bit of an issue with XDCAM .MOV to MXF.

While the program works well, when I import the converted .mxf files into Sony Vegas Pro 13, they will randomly look like this:

http://i.imgur.com/mvPl6mJ.png

I don't know why this is. It makes converting and editing the footage a bit of a gamble, because sometimes I'll convert footage over and it'll be fine, other times this glitch will appear in a part of the take that doesn't matter so I can it out, other times though, it'll be right in the middle of the actual scene.

Did you experience anything like this? I've already created a support ticket with Convergent, but I figured I'd try and get as much input as possible from the community.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Feb 27, 2015 at 5:54:25 pm

Seth, I ran into a similar problem a few years ago. As I recall it turned out to be a corrupt clip (bad spot on my card?) and nothing I did fixed it. I formatted the card once I was done and have never had the problem again. I know it doesn't help you though :(

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Feb 27, 2015 at 6:13:57 pm

Going out on a whim here, but do you think I'd have the same problem using another program that would convert my native footage to .mxf?

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Feb 27, 2015 at 6:21:05 pm

I don't know of any other program that will do what what the one you're using does.
A few more thoughts. Did you import the footage right from the card? If you did, try copy the entire card's contents to your hard drive and try again. It might have been a computer glitch and "recapturing" and re-wrapping it might fix the problem. Good luck!!

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Feb 27, 2015 at 6:31:10 pm

The footage is being imported right from an external HDD which has all the raw material.

I may stand a chance with a program called Import Assist by Calibrated software. As told to me by someone I've been talking to over there,

A better workflow may be to re-wrap the XDCAM MOV files to XDCAM MXF files and Vegas should be able to edit the MXF files natively (just a re-wrap from MOV to MXF - the video/Audio is the same). This can be done with our 'helper' application 'Import Assist' - it comes with our software MXF Import.

They're going to let me try it for a week for free. I don't know. Guess I'll have to try and see it, no?

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Feb 27, 2015 at 8:06:31 pm

I've never heard of the program but you get to try it for free so go for it. Please do let us know if it works as hoped for.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Feb 26, 2015 at 9:49:36 pm

[Seth Kopchu] " I was just told that .mxf will open in Vegas, and here I am, looking at a .mxf that won't open. "

Only certain MXF files will open in Vegas. The file you encoded probably does not conform to that spec. Only HDCAM SR, XDCAM and Panasonic P2 MXF files work. MXF is generic and can contain just about any codec in existence.

When you report that some file does not open, please include a MediaInfo report from the file in your post. Otherwise we have no idea what you are trying to use.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]