FORUMS: list search recent posts

My renders look like utter crap on YouTube. Am I doing something wrong?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Santiago
My renders look like utter crap on YouTube. Am I doing something wrong?
on Feb 26, 2015 at 6:21:20 am

How's it going guys? I've been having an issues with video quality on my youtube channel. I run a gaming channel where I do "lets plays" with a facecam. Once rendered, my video quality looks fantastic. However once uploaded to youtube, my facecam quality goes to crap. And it's just the facecam part of the screen, not the gameplay. What's weird is the quality looks fine when I'm not moving, but once I start running around in-game, my facecam gets all blurry even when watching in 720p. Again, when watching the raw rendered file, there are no quality issues.

I could blame this on youtube killing the quality, but I see plenty of tubers with nice quality in their facecams while running around ingame. So I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Below is a side by side screenshot of a rendered clip and what it looks like when on youtube in 720p.

http://puu.sh/gd9fU/694ab6c996.jpg

You see how blurry my face is? That's 720p. And only goes blurry when I'm moving ingame. Do I need to render vidoes a certain way so that fast moving gameplay doesn't affect the quality of my facecam?

Return to posts index

john bolton
Re: My renders look like utter crap on YouTube. Am I doing something wrong?
on Feb 26, 2015 at 8:28:39 am

Have to tried to Disable the resample. Do a right mouse on the video on the time line... select properties from the box that opens.. Tick the Disable resample and then do a new render

Return to posts index

Derek Santiago
on Feb 26, 2015 at 9:45:53 am

Yeah I have that habit built into my brain to do that with every clip. Still receiving this issue.

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Feb 26, 2015 at 9:03:28 pm

Is the resolution of your facecam video the same as your gameplay...?

And what are you rendering out to...?

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

Derek Santiago
on Feb 27, 2015 at 5:34:28 am

Yes facecam and gameplay are both 1280x720 and I've tried rendering to anything imaginable just to see if I get better results but I do not. Regardless of what type of video file I render to, the rendered file always looks great but my facecam always becomes blurry on youtube once I start moving around in-game.

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Feb 27, 2015 at 8:42:18 am
Last Edited By Nick McMahon on Feb 27, 2015 at 9:22:04 am

[Derek Santiago] "my facecam always becomes blurry on youtube once I start moving around in-game."

Hey Derek....

I googled up using face cam in youtube video gameplay to see exactly what you mean.

Are you recording your face cam with a third party program and then bringing that footage into the timeline and resizing it..? Or are you using track motion to do picture in picture...?

Please describe exactly what method you are using in Sony Vegas to create your gameplay with facecam. The more detail you use to describe what you are doing the easier it will be for someone else to help you.

cheers

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

Derek Santiago
on Feb 27, 2015 at 10:28:20 am

No I'm not using a third party to record my facecam. I'm using one program called Open Broadcast Software which allows me to record my gameplay and facecam at the same time, with picture in picture as you said. Do you think this could be the issue?

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Feb 27, 2015 at 10:59:11 am
Last Edited By Nick McMahon on Feb 27, 2015 at 2:36:09 pm

Hey Derek....

That question is impossible for me to answer as I've never used the Open Broadcast software.

However... I would suggest you try using a simple webcam recorder to record your facecam separately and then put that in a track above your gameplay track. Line them up so it's sync'd with the gameplay and use pan/crop to resize the facecam and place it where you want over the top of the gameplay.

There is a slightly more in depth way of adding your facecam by using the 'Track Motion' tool. It allows you to add dimension to the Picture in Picture frame with such things as a shadow around the edge to give a 3D effect... But you could experiment with that once you find a way to firstly obtain the clarity you want and should get from your facecam.

If you do choose to import a recorded facecam file make sure it is in an intermediate format... you don't want to be using highly compressed codec (like h264) in the timeline... best to use a more editing friendly format such as .avi. It won't affect the render quality but makes it much easier to edit cos your Vegas won't then have to decompress on top of all the hardcore lightning fast mathematical computations it has to do to manipulate digital video.

By trying it without using OBS you can discover if that program might be the issue. However... you have said that when you watch the rendered video on your computer? screen direct before upload it looks fine..?... That suggests youtube's compression algorithm may be the culprit but understanding why it only happens to the facecam is difficult to answer and you can only try and do it differently to see what works. As I said a good starting point would be to try another system recording the face cam separately

BTW...I don't know for sure cos I've never tried, but I would have to guess that Vegas has the capability within to record your facecam direct so you don't have to import an already recorded file. Maybe someone else can chime in to confirm that... or you could try searching the documentation that comes with Vegas... or of course search via Google but you need to make sure to use the search parameters in your favour to narrow down the results.

Try following this guy's tutorial... it's a tad vague but he's using Vegas. You could message him direct and ask for his help via the comment section under his video clip if you need to. I'm sure he could give you the heads up on which render settings he finds works best if he has plenty of experience with uploads.

Hope that helps you out... let me know how you get on.

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Feb 27, 2015 at 2:47:07 pm
Last Edited By Nick McMahon on Feb 27, 2015 at 4:29:15 pm

Can I also ask.... if you are using OBS why are you then bringing the recording into Vegas...?

What file format does OBS output to...? Why would you not upload that direct to youtube...?

Once you bring the OBS file into vegas and put it into an HD frame (eg: 1920 x 1080) then the area that the facecam takes up will measure very small in terms of resolution relative to the whole frame size... I think that's where the problem may be, but it's a guess.

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Feb 27, 2015 at 4:07:02 pm

Without getting into too many details, in general problems that can cause things like this are first, not having your project properties match your video settings. Make sure they all match.

When I render out for YouTube I always render to Sony AVC mp4, 10 mbps. What render settings are you using?

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Feb 28, 2015 at 2:59:54 am

Or you could use Vegasaur's free Video4Youtube plugin that takes all the guesswork out, plus allows you to upload!

http://vegasaur.com/download/Video4YouTube

My system specs: Intel i7 970, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Feb 28, 2015 at 1:57:08 pm
Last Edited By Nick McMahon on Feb 28, 2015 at 2:48:02 pm

[Nigel O'Neill] "Or you could use Vegasaur's free Video4Youtube plugin that takes all the guesswork out, plus allows you to upload!"

Onya Nigel.... fair dinkum top tip....I notice the Sydney opera house behind you in avatar and I'm an expat here in the freezing bloody cold of a UK winter at present (hibernating as usual)

I just tried out the plug-in and it's seemingly spot on especially with the .mp4box to allow streaming of Sony AVC renders once they're uploaded (I had no idea they don't stream and need to be downloaded... might that explain why sometimes even though the buffer bar on youtube is way ahead of viewpoint it doesn't want to play...?)

Anyway... guesswork is soooo time consuming while you try out various templates and then of course you can tweak those templates which makes the possibilities almost endless.... so this seems like a handy plug-in.

However.... I would love to know exactly what the render output is that it chooses for me...? Does it make decisions based purely upon project settings...? If so are there tweaks we can do to ensure highest quality such as bitrate...?

In short is there documentation which explains (in depth) the Video4youtube plug-in...? I'm all for making things as easy as possible but anything that takes control out of my hands (albeit a bit of guess work at this early stage of my NLE learning curve) sits more comfortably with me if I know HOW it's making the choices for me and if I can do anything to influence those choices such as changes within the project settings.

cheers

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]